Help needed calculating calories burnt during weight lifting

Options
I have realised that the calories burnt calculator on MFP (and diet power) tend to estimate on the hight side, so I have tried to use HRM, to get a more accurate estimate. However with weight based routines I don't think it is very accurate, currently doing the Chalean extreme programme, and get very hot and sweaty, but the reported calorie burn is tiny. Any advice

Replies

• djcuts
    djcuts Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'd just stick with what it is on MFP, the average calorie burn for weight lifting for somebody who weighs 180lbs is around 245 calories per hour

http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist3.htm

You are never going to be 100% accurate with anything when it comes to estimating calorie burn, or even calorie counting. As long as you are getting a decent enough guideline to help you I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you are unsure about your HRM calorie burn, here is another site to check out for comparison:

http://www.fitclick.com/calories_burned?

You can enter your weight, and the time you exercised, and they have an enormous database of exercises to select from (I was unable to find one that wasn't listed).

I used this site before I got my HRM, and found it pretty accurate. My HRM shows a pretty realistic burn for my workouts - based on my age, weight, heart rate and duration of the exercise. Maybe your heart rate is just super efficient, and you need to try a few new workouts to challenge your heart a little more. HRM should be pretty much the MOST accurate way to measure your calories burned. It could be that yours is faulty, too. Do you know anyone who has a HRM that you can borrow to compare the readings?

Good luck!!!

Wil
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    MFP always tells me I burned way less for lifting than my HRM. I've heard that 0.75 X HRM's number is pretty dependable. None of it's exact though.
  • jacquirich
    jacquirich Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thak you all, my HRM is a good one (polar) but all HRM's have difficulty picking up my HR because my resting pulse rate is about 35-43, and it takes a alot to make it higher