Spacing calorie allowance throughout the day

Options
Hi there- just a quick question, although I think I already know the answer. Does it really matter if you spread your calories out throughout the day or concentrate them in one or two meals as long as you stay within your goals?

The reason I'm asking is that myself and another MFP-er are having dinner with a group of girls we work with tonight. I've checked the restaurant we're going to's website and the food is mega calorific - even the salad options (which I don't particularly like the look of) are 500+ and so with only a 1200 daily allowance you can see why I'm wondering.

If I keep my breakfast and lunch to under 400 calories do you think it would really mess me up if my dinner is 800?

Replies

• mamagee
    Options
    It's not going to hurt you this one time, but don't make a habbit out of it. When trying to lose weight, you want to eat every 3 to 4 hours throughout the day. When you wait longer than that your metabolism starts to slow down. Make sure you get good workout in at some point today to rev up your metabolism and you'll be fine :)
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Generally spacing your calories out is better as it keeps your metabolism busy. But one dinner with the girls won't wreck your progress. Go for it and enjoy! :drinker:
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    For one day it won't matter. If you have time for a workout, that will give you some extra calories for a snack or two (or to have more at dinner : )) The general rule is to evenly spread out your calories so that you don't over indulge at any one meal. But save them up for tonight and enjoy!
  • kateyb
    kateyb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Cheers guys, yeah I wanted to work out this morning but overslept so now I'm working 12 hours through solidly till 9pm and am having dinner straight after work!

I'm trying to space 4 100 calorie snacks/mini meals throughout the day rather than have a light brekkie and lunch. Fingers x'd it will tide me over and not make me so hungry I over indulge on the bad stuff!!!
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Another thought: plans like WW let you save up calories (points) for the week - if you find you go "over" today you can make up for it over the next few days. But as long as you eat sensibly most of the time one dinner won't mess you up.
  • Slipperystar
    Slipperystar Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Horses for courses...some say 6 small meals a day, others advocate intermittent fasting, which is one big meal a day (those are the extremes, maybe you want somewhere in between). People get great results on both, you just have to find what works for you. Your body, your science experiment! :)
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    for one day i think you would be okay as long as it isn't an ALL the time thing. its better than eating all your calories then STILL eating a huge dinner! Way to think ahead!
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Actually you should be eating every 2 to 3 hours starting within an hour of waking up. After 3 hours, your body will start to go into fat storing mode. This one time isn't going to kill you so enjoy!
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    spacing it out wont hurt as long as you are eating 4-5 times a day watching the intake....also, if this is the one time a week that its happening, reward yourself