Metformin diet working out

Options
Been on metformin for close to 3 weeks now for pcos and recently has jut upped my dosage to 1500mg per day. For the past 1 week, I have been working out( 20-25 mins) daily! My diet is definitely fine, but I saw no weight or inches lost! Why is this so? Isn't metformin supposed to help u lose weight too??

Replies

• Huiminlovesfood
    Options
    Anyone??
  • Steel6981
    Steel6981 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Some people will see a weight loss but some don't. I guess it is just how it reacts to your body and situation. I am on it for T2 diabetes and I did not experience a loss.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    It's likely to take more than a week to show results - your body has to adjust. Keep doing what you're doing for a month to six weeks. Then, if the increased dosage and physical activity isn't changing things, speak to your doctor. Are you tracking your food properly? Measuring and logging will give you a clear idea of where your diet is at, and may also provide something for your doctor to look at if the metformin doesn't help - there may be an allergy or intolerance that is inhibiting your weight loss.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1. It takes at least a month for your body to adjust
    2. With pcos you need to limit carbs to 80-100g and probably should mostly be fruits and veggies.
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm a pcos-er, and low carbing just made me irritant and angry. >.<

Do whatever works for you.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Metformin doesn't cause you to lose weight. It will however, allow you to lose weight if you do all the right things. I have been diagnosed with PCOS for over 20 years. Weight loss always seemed impossible until I started taking Metformin (around 12 or so years ago). However, I was still never successful until I truly made the commitment and did the work.

With PCOS, you will likely be a slower loser than others. Give it time. Make sure you are very accurate in your calorie reporting and in measuring your workouts!

I agree that low carb did nothing but make me unhappy and cranky. But others do have great success with it.