Is there any Low Carb Sushi :(

Options
2»

Replies

• vanillarama
    vanillarama Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    As said, sashimi. If you're getting sushi from places that don't offer any sort of sashimi, I'd try a real sushi place. I imagine it will taste much better than store-bought stuff.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Anything "naruto" is wrapped in cucumber instead of rice.. try that!! I LOVE it! Some sushi places also offer "low carb rolls".. one of my local favorites has one named exactly that- and it's full of delicious fresh fish and no rice. I would check out local menus online and see what each place has to offer!

Edited to add: a lot of places will also sub out seaweed wrap for rice (usually for a small upcharge).

Thanks! My family loves sushi. I'm going to have to pay closer attention to the menus! I'm not sure I've ever seen "naruto" mentioned. Do you have to ask for this option?

It's just ON the menus that I've seen (tuna naruto, salmon naruto, and the cucumber roll which is just filled with "snowcrab" etc etc)- but I'm sure they'd be willing to make it if not!
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Gosh I know how you feel :[

If the place you eat sushi has brown rice, go for that. Thats all I can suggest :c
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    NO. Brown rice didn't all of the sudden become low carb...Are you serious?

Poe's Law.

No I wasn't. We were making the same point.
  • trishtrish84
    trishtrish84 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I really have no real advice to add here other than the brown rice thing... I just wanted to post and say that this thread is making me want dragon rolls!
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If you are doing low carb Id avoid sushi and only have as an occasional treat. Im in Australia and most places just sell these massive handrolls so I cant even cheat and have a small roll!
    I just have sashimi instead, SO delicious :)
  • kvelcro
    Options
    Make handrolls at home using riced cauliflower?
  • m_shuman
    Options
    Evertime we eat sushi I get sashimi or if we got to the buffet place in town I take the fish off of the rice and just eat the fish. Dh and I like several different kinds of fish octopus, salmon, tuna, yellowtail, roe and several others that we have tried but I can't think of. We usually just get a sashimi sampler and try it all.
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sashimi is just the fish, no rice, so it's extremely low carb. And as a bonus, I always seem to get better, meatier, more delicious cuts of fish than if I order rolls. If you want to treat yourself or want sushi rice but think you can control your portion, order chirashi. It's sashimi served on a bed of sushi rice. I tend to order that and only let myself eat half the rice. But that's not cause I'm avoiding carbs, it's because what makes sushi rice sticky and delicious is a mixture of rice vinegar and sugar, so it's the sugar I'm trying to avoid.