Pregnancy question for really fit women

Options
I am about 11 weeks pregnant. Prior to getting pregnant, I was able to get down to 115 lbs (I am 5'2") and really tone up my abs. For three or four weeks now, I have a huge layer of fat on my belly, despite the fact that I have maintained my fitness routines throughout. It is not the uterus yet (that is still way down low near the pelvic bone according to my midwife.) Is this fat normal?

In past pregnancies, I was always about 15-20 lbs over my ideal weight, so I don't really have much to compare this to. I was expecting that I wouldn't have the fat at all this time.

Just wondering what other moms have experienced out there.

Thanks!

Replies

• smccb
    smccb Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Anyone?

:-)
  • tendumom
    tendumom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it is fat? That would be an incredibly quick time to put on that much without gaining a large amount of weight.

My guess, without seeing you, is that it is bloating. Your body makes large amounts of progesterone during pregnancy.Progesterone levels that high can cause bloating. It is why many women feel more pregnant than they actually are in the beginning. It is especially worse in later pregnancies because those muscles and the abdominal wall have been stretched before.