Protein suggestions?

Options
I just recently changed my carb/protein/fat ratios to 40/30/30. I'm struggling to get the last 10 lbs off, and I'm trying to implement more resistance training.

I'm having a hard time getting enough protein in to meet my requirements. I drink a whey protein shake after working out, and usually eat 1-2 eggs for breakfast and a meat at lunch and dinner.

Any suggestions for ways to get more protein in without going over on carbs and cals?

Thanks-
Julie

Replies

• Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Depends how much more protein you need. Add a shake pre-workout for starters. Or you could have one just before bed (works better with Casein-based protein).
  • renehallen
    renehallen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Greek yogurt? Dannon has a Light and Fit version that is just 80 calories! Twelve grams of protein in one serving.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    boiled eggs (minus yolk....this part will get some of the crazies raging)
    chicken/turkey breast
    whey protein

Eat more than what anyone/anything says you "need".
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Have you tried Greek yogurt? Dannon has a Light and Fit version that is just 80 calories! Twelve grams of protein in one serving.

Great advice, I forgot that.. and I just had one for breakfast :)
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    Eat more of the stuff with protein that you're already eating, and less of the stuff that's mainly carbs and fat. Problem solved.
  • karrathachick
    karrathachick Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is good or maybe a protein bar with less sugars/fillers etc. Chicken breast is always a winner, lots of great protein for low cals and same with tinned tuna.
  • jenlouise4
    jenlouise4 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Tuna is fantastic, with carbs practically non-existent and loads of protein. I like to have a tin with sweetcorn and vegetables for lunch a couple times a week.
    Also cottage cheese has a surprising amount of protein and is very low in calories and fat.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My trainer always suggested for every whole egg you eat, eat 2 egg whites, so you could up your eggs a bit.

also baked/broiled chicken
    cottage cheese
    protein bars (or meal bars)
    Greek yogurt (usually have 12-14g)
    turkey or chicken slices
  • HodderAL
    HodderAL Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I use the same ratio (40/30/30) and I found increasing my protein to be tricky at first, but it's not really that hard. Lean meats (watch the cuts of the meat), and a good protein powder will help. You can also incorporate things like hemp hearts into your diet - throw it in a salad or your oatmeal, bake it into something, you won't notice it and it will help your protein intake. Also, add nuts and beans into your intake. Don't worry about the fat content of nuts, a little good fat is good for you.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I get enough out of meat, honestly. But I eat a lot of meat. Beefing up your eggs with whites is an awesome idea.
  • kellyallday
    kellyallday Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • mdb543
    mdb543 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    check out my blog. I was on 40/30/20 for p90x and hated the food that I was eating. Very bland. I finally came up with some recipes to get protein in.. http://fitandtoneforlife.blogspot.com
  • Julie7741
    Julie7741 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions- I love Greek yogurt, but hadn't seen a light version. I'll have to check that out.
    I have increased my calories and now net 1500-1600 per day. I set my goal at 1/2 lb per week to slow down this last 10 lbs. Some days I even go up to 1700-1800. I am stuck anyway, so I might as well resign myself to losing this last 10 slowly.

I'm also backing off of my cardio (running and biking) and trying to implement more resistance training to tone. This is why I want to increase protein, to build some muscle!

Thanks again-
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Eat more food. You can check my diary to see how I got 275g yesterday with no powder.
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Eat more food. You can check my diary to see how I got 275g yesterday with no powder.
    Thanks for your diary. Having trouble getting my protein in. This helps greatly!!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    My carbs are very low as I avoid sugar and grains. I try to eat Paleo/Slow Carb so my fat/carb/protein split is probably around 30/20/50 though I need to add more healthy fat.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What is your daily protein goal and how far are you from hitting it?

Typical day for me is:
    protein shake after workout (~70g protein)
    eggs/bacon/sausage for breakfast (~30g protein)
    Leftovers for lunch - chicken, ground beef or steak usualy (~40-60g protein)
    Chicken, beef or fish for dinner (~30-60g protein)

Add in a couple glasses of milk during the day and whatever sides I have with the meals and I'm usually around 225g daily.
  • Julie7741
    Julie7741 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My goal is 114 g. I'm typically averaging around 80. So I need, on average, 30g more per day. I really need to try harder, and I'm hoping that it's just an adjustment and a matter of new habits.

I typically mix proteins with carbs. Ex: apple with peanut butter, or crackers with cheese, fruit with yogurt, etc. Then I go over on carbs and/or cals.

I guess I need to eat just the protein foods and leave out the other stuff. I also have IBS, and my intestines do NOT like artificial sweeteners (aspartame particularly). I also have trouble if I consume a lot of dairy, though yogurt and cheese don't seem to bother me as much as straight milk. Because of this, I try to stear clear of any "diet" products and dairy is somewhat limited. The light n' fit yogurt has aspartame, which makes me so sad! I love greek yogurt, but the regular stuff is kind of high in calories. Maybe I'll try another shake, pre-workout, and change my snacks to more protein.

Any other suggestions?