obvious foods to avoid??

Options

Replies

• HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Foods that you cannot eat in moderation
    Foods that make you hungry 30 minutes later and cause you to over eat (sugar, white flour, white rice, white bread, white pasta; these items spike your blood sugar and then 30 minutes later (or there abouts) you blood sugar drops and cause hunger pains again, so you eat more...causing you to consume more calories and fat then you realize....now I realize there are a few people, this may not effect but for the overwhelming majority...just say no to over processed foods or LIMIT them) -- instead stick to their WHOLE GRAIN (fiber rich) counter part.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    ......not bacon....tell me bacon is OK......I love bacon.....

you'll be happy to know Oscar Mayer and Great Value both make Turkey Bacon that's 35 cal per slice, andButterball makes one that is 25 cal per slice.

I'm happy to know regular bacon is also 35 calories, sometimes has more protein than turkey bacon, and tastes a helluva lot better.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

What's wrong with soy???

Nothing unless you have an allergy or intollerance or eat too much of it.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein-full-story/index.html#soy

•Eat soy in moderation. Soybeans, tofu, and other soy-based foods are an excellent alternative to red meat. In some cultures, tofu and soy foods are a protein staple, and we don’t suggest any change. But if you haven't grown up eating lots of soy, there's no reason to go overboard: Two to 4 servings a week is a good target; eating more than that likely won't offer any health benefits and we can’t be sure that there is no harm.

It's anti-nutritive if it isn't fermented.

Spend a few minutes doing some research, and you won't want to eat soy again.

Eat meat.

I've been looking into almond and rice milk for just these reasons. Got any suggestions for getting calcium for those with milk allergies?

Edited for spelling.

Almond milk is awesome, I love the Blue Diamond brand...rice milk is ok...kind of bland...

I don't think anyone who has done a lot of nutritional research will be eating meat, from a health standpoint animal proteins are very closely linked to cancer and cardiovascular problems.

No it's not.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options

Almond milk is awesome, I love the Blue Diamond brand...rice milk is ok...kind of bland...

I don't think anyone who has done a lot of nutritional research will be eating meat, from a health standpoint animal proteins are very closely linked to cancer and cardiovascular problems.

I watch the news, I've seen all the hype about how evil red meat is, at least until the next report comes out with a surprising announcement that eating more lean beef actually INCREASES (insert health statistic here.) Look at how they can't make up their minds about eggs! I fully intend to continue consuming my ribs, my steak, my burgers, and whatever else it is I make from my red meat.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Both beer and burgers contain a ton of calories and the burgers have a ton of fat and limited nutrients as well. I say definitely on the avoid list. Also anything processed is not optimal for good health or weight loss. I stick with whole foods, as close to they come from the ground is the BEST for optimal health and weight management :)

a fresh burger, with lean beef, and some veggies on it has limited nutrients?
    please go.
    :laugh:
    That's what I was thinking. People have a very different idea of nutrition than me.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

More sensationalist nonsense.
  • sunset_twilight
    sunset_twilight Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    As long as i'm within my calories and fat, I shall eat what I want to.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    :bigsmile:

you'll be happy to know Oscar Mayer and Great Value both make Turkey Bacon that's 35 cal per slice, andButterball makes one that is 25 cal per slice.

I'm happy to know regular bacon is also 35 calories, sometimes has more protein than turkey bacon, and tastes a helluva lot better.

Exactly! Even on a super low-cal diet, you can have two slices of bacon as part of a well-rounded breakfast, or lunch, or dinner, or snack. Bacon is versatile that way!
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid any food... I limit my choice and I use it in moderation. I love me some ice cream, or a snack of individual size chips. I not longer buy any of that is full servings (gallon ice cream, big bag of chips) because stores sell it all in individual sizes which helps with portion control
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options

woot go bacon!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Deep fried sticks of butter.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I "avoid" anything but I do limit (as in eat, but small portions, once in a while):

Fast food
    Anything Fried
    Regular pop
    Sugar (including fruit)
    Coffee (it's super addictive to me, I could drink coffee all day and skip food)
    Crackers, carby snacks (just a waste of calories and carbs, I think)
    Breakfast cereal
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I always avoid anything deep fried.
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    The only thing I absolutely avoid is POP!!! I drink beer once or twice a month, and I eat cheeseburger or pizza once or twice a month. If I say I will never eat it or I can't have it, it's all I want. I think everything is ok in moderation. But I have noticed how bad food choices make me feel crapy after eating them anyway.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Deep fried sticks of butter.

I've had people ask me if I eat sticks of butter plain.

(The answer is 'no'...but I've never tried it deep-fried though...)
  • SHayes74
    Options
    Apples. don't eat apples. read this book once, some lady ate an apple and things just went downhill from there.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Apples. don't eat apples. read this book once, some lady ate an apple and things just went downhill from there.

:laugh:
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with soy???

It's anti-nutritive if it isn't fermented.

Spend a few minutes doing some research, and you won't want to eat soy again.

No it's not.
    [/quote]

clearly we don't know how to read........

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/the-truth-about-non-fermented-vs-fermented-soy-protein.html

http://www.naturalnews.com/025513_soy_food_soybeans.html

http://www.healthy-eating-politics.com/dangers-of-soy.html

Spend 5 minutes reading about soy, and you'll realize that you're much better off eating meat. There is a reason some vegans and vegetarians aren't jacked.
  • awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid any food, I just watch my sodium intake.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Coconut crusted monkfish with mango salsa
    Why on earth would you want to avoid that? mmmmmmmm