I had a bad calories day, and I feel awful

Options
I am not one to cry over going above my calories one day.

I understand I am making a lifestyle change and that means that sometimes you go over, other times you go under and it's life.

I guess what I am struggling with is not that I went over by eating healthy I went over because I went out for tapas and then got halal food off the street.

It wasn't that I put too many great things in my body, it's that I completely sabotaged me trying to be healthier and eat right.

I always do this, I make progress then I get to this point and throw it away.

I didn't even want to log my calories because I felt so bad about last night. I just wish I was more in control of myself, sometimes I make bad choices and I can't seem to stop myself.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Log it, own it, and move on. One night will not set you back as long as you pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and continue with eating healthy as usual today. Don't beat yourself up, nobody eats perfect 100% of the time.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    One day ruins nothing.
  • Kimjanebrooks
    Kimjanebrooks Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Log it, own it, and move on. One night will not set you back as long as you pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and continue with eating healthy as usual today. Don't beat yourself up, nobody eats perfect 100% of the time.

Couldn't agree more!
  • nikic50
    nikic50 Posts: 209
    Options
    I agree 100% with 'melsinct'!! Don't think about it again, it's done now move on & make better decisions today :)
  • Xstitcher74
    Xstitcher74 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    One day. That's what it is. Fresh start today. You can do this! :smile:
  • postcall
    postcall Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Listen everyone on here has done that. Move on. You will have days like that from time to time. It really is not an all or nothing situation
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options

Great advice. you know how to eat healthy - clearly - for me, if I don't bring it into the house, I won't be tempted, but if I do, my attitude is "If I eat it all now, there won't be any to tempt me tomorrow" - uh, yeah, not the best.

Change takes time, give yourself a break.
  • Keylarakat
    Keylarakat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It happens to everyone. Willpower has been my biggest hurdle while trying to lose weight.
    Like the previous poster says, log it, own up to it and challenge yourself to do better today. You can do it!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I went over (mostly) because I ate a crapload of Pizza at the Pizza Hut buffet @ lunchtime.

I enjoyed every mouthful, logged it all, and didn't go over by much.

Today, I won't do that - it happens and it's not worth beating yourself up over!
  • happythermia
    Options
    Dude. You're here, that's already a positive step.

Log it and move on :-)
  • shenhannigans
    Options
    When I do this, I BAM it... Breathe, Accept it and Move on.
  • Keylarakat
    Keylarakat Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Great advice. you know how to eat healthy - clearly - for me, if I don't bring it into the house, I won't be tempted, but if I do, my attitude is "If I eat it all now, there won't be any to tempt me tomorrow" - uh, yeah, not the best.

Change takes time, give yourself a break.

HA! I've done this before too. There will be a tiny bit left in the carton, box, can (etc) and I'll eat it because I don't want it around later. Oy...
  • butterflyfairy2
    butterflyfairy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I didn't even log mine for the day because I couldn't stand to see that in my diary. It literally made me sick to my stomach to see that many calories for one stinkin meal that really wasn't even worth it.
    Mine was due to traveling with my father in law and him being a lover of Jack in the Box, need I say more? I felt so gross after eating it, not even knowing the calories at the time.
    Today is a new day!!! Happy Eating...:flowerforyou:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    That is life. Life includes food. Will you never enjoy a holiday again because you will feel awful about enjoying your food? It was a bad day, log it, move on, and don't let it happen every day, or even every week. Drink some extra water today. I truly hope you enjoyed what you ate.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I've found that when I log it, I can see how badly maybe I didn't mess up. I feel like I screwed my whole world up, but when it's in black and white numbers, it wasn't really *that* bad. Logging helps me learn about my eating and how much each thing I put in my body affects me.

Log it, take it as a learning experience and move on. If losing weight were easy, we wouldn't be here.
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    This is not throwing your progress away. Own it. You pigged out. It's done and you move on. But, learn from this. Were these old habits that you are trying to change? Can you figure out how to develop a new habit of not stopping for halal? If your friends are getting something, then why not just grab a water or diet soft drink. A healthy lifestyle supports pigging out on special occasions, but those are always coupled with a good workout the next day. You're not done with this one yet.

It will only be bad if you don't grow from the experience (figuratively). Oh, and you owe yourself some cardio today ;-)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I had a rough day yesterday too. I logged it all and took a good look at it. Why did I eat so much and so mindlessly when I got home? I've been doing so well. I concluded that I had a really bad day at work and was a little hungry, so what started as a snack before ballet class turned into a big meal. Doing ballet after that was NOT fun! Today is a new day, and I am keeping in mind how crappy I felt after eating all of it, how it hurt to see that I went over my calories on MFP, and how much it ruined my ballet class. Doing much better today!

Like someone else said, willpower is the hardest part of this whole journey. Stay connected (keep up on MFP, log EVERYTHING and be honest about it) and bad meals/days will pass by and you'll be able to get back on the wagon pretty quickly.
  • meganbook
    Options
    This is one of my biggest pieces of advice I give out to others. ONE DAY WILL NOT KILL YOU! Trust me, I know! I was at a wedding over the weekend which included buffet, open bar, and of course wedding cake! I indulged, I enjoyed every bite of that cake and every sip of that vodka. I ate healthy on Sunday, and Monday I was back in my normal routine and gym. Gained a pound from all that, and already lost it as of today (Wednesday) and back on track. Weddings, holidays, parties, they happen. The important thing is you get right back on track and never look back!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    An occasional cheat day might actually HELP you lose weight through metabolism confusion and even if it doesn't, it helps you stick to your diet overall. If you can't ever go out for tapas and street meat, you are going to fall off the wagon.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Days like that will help you build up some will power... if you log it, own it and learn from it.

Keep in mind that many people plan a day like that, regularly, to keep from having unplanned binges... find what works for you. This is supposed to be a journey that you embark on for the rest of your life- just don't forget to enjoy the ride!