Please "weigh" in-elliptical or jog tonight?

Options
I'm still extremely sore from some unusual weight bearing activity on Sunday, especially in quads and behind knees. I have Disney 10 miler on Sat (woo!) and haven't run in about a week.

Given the sore muscles VS desire for fresh legs, do you think it would be better to do elliptical to shake out the muscles or get a light jog in tonight (Wednesday, 3 days before the race)?

Thanks! :drinker:

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you can run 10 miles, why would you ever use the elliptical? (is my vote obvious?)
  • ATclassof2021
    ATclassof2021 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Easy run to shake out the legs
  • acceber64
    acceber64 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Right now, where I live it's so smokey it smells like an anshtray. at least using the elliptical you can exercise in you house.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Run.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I think only you can answer that question--it depends on how YOU feel. That said, I'm a runner myself.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I would do the elliptical. It is easy to me and doesn't feel hard on my legs. I would put it on a low resistance setting to "save" my legs, but it'll also allow you to get the kinks out. Whether I'm jogging or all out running, it's always harder on my legs/joints, so I'd be trying to save myself for Sunday.
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Slow, easy run!
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Right now, where I live it's so smokey it smells like an anshtray. at least using the elliptical you can exercise in you house.

Lol Alberta?!? It's really smokey here from all the forest fires!

But to the OP, I usually elliptical when I'm really sore, but that's because I have torn a muscle from running when sore. I tend to overdo it.
  • jothekid
    jothekid Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Burn your elliptical and go for a run :bigsmile:
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Slow, easy run!

This!
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you can run 10 miles, why would you ever use the elliptical? (is my vote obvious?)

Totally agree with this. Running is a better workout, and (in my opinion) way more fun.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    go for the slow easy run... your legs will thank you for it when you do the race
  • CandiceJohnson86
    Options
    jog, allow it to help release the day and it should help and strecthing those sore muscles.
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I would definitely run, do a few miles today, and then maybe just one tomorrow and rest on Friday.
  • jeokay20
    Options
    if i were u i would push through the soreness. i also would eat cherries and green leafy vegetables. those r known to aide in muscle recovery. :)
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Given the sore muscles VS desire for fresh legs, do you think it would be better to do elliptical to shake out the muscles or get a light jog in tonight (Wednesday, 3 days before the race)?

A scientific study from several years back indicated that ellipticals "can" be really hard on the ankles, knees, hips, and/or back because many lock the foot into a fixed position (I cannot find the journal article now). I've been uneasy about the machines ever since.

I would probably go for a walk instead if you are looking to PR on Sat or a light jog if you are just looking for a finish.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue after a weights session on Monday, same areas of ache, but last night I did a 3 mile run and it felt fine while I was running, only started to ache again after the muscles cooled down but not at an unbearable level.

Today I hit the weights again but only arms and shoulders and plan to run again tonight. Unless the ache is unbearable I say run it out.
  • brentb71
    brentb71 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Weather permitting, always go outdoors.
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions, runners :happy:

You've inspired me to do a wee run tonight--forgot to mention that I've been having achilles pain after long runs but I'll worry about that AFTER the race. Even if I have to ride a scooter around the parks (j/k)