Vegetarian protein choices

Options
hi guys. I would like to know about veg choices for vegetarians. Anyone there who could help?

Replies

• AroraSumita
    Options
    bump
  • heatherz104
    heatherz104 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Well, I am also a vegetarian and I get lots of protein from whole grains, tempeh, tofu, beans, lentils, and meat substitute products (I like gardein "chicken" and morningstar sausage and corndogs in particular). I also have a bit of cheese sometimes, and sometimes I eat soy yogurt as well. When I'm pushed for time or calories I also sometimes have a clif bar, the clif builders chocolate mint and peanut butter ones are really yummy. Seitan is also a great protein source that I make sometimes when I have the time, I prefer not to buy the storebought kind because it costs so much more. Dry roasted nuts are also good for protein. Hope that helps:)
  • browncurlz3
    Options
    Oatmeal, unflavored Greek yogurt (the sweetened stuff has added sugar and less protein; just add your own spoonful of jam or fresh fruit), edamame/soy beans.

My nutritionist was incredible in opening my eyes to other food options. You might want to consider meeting with a nutritionist once or twice to get ideas, and to ensure that you're getting proper nutrition. It has helped me tremendously! (And I can recommend one who works via phone and Internet.)
  • Shafinasegon
    Shafinasegon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks. Makes sense. I wd need to figure out what combinations to fulfill my 45 grams requirement perhaps.
  • Shafinasegon
    Options
    Sure. Please let me have the details of the nutritionist. Thanks so much.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Do you have anything specific you want to know about?

You can cook things that are vegetarian, just leave out meat, or you can replace meat with vegan "meats" like gardein. Gardein are the best imo compared to morning star and bocas. You can get them at target and some grocery stores. Very good and a good source of protein. They are mostly vegan I think? Morningstar and bocas are mostly vegetarian.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    The best protein choice for everyone is meat. Animals taste awesome.
  • rekhiebaby
    Options
    Be careful because a lot of vegetarian "meat" is highly processed and can contain a lot of preservatives and other junk. I'm mostly ovo-lacto vegetarian and I stick to whole grains like quinoa, egg whites, oatmeal, high protein breads, low fat milk, tofu, tempeh, edamame, legumes/lentils, certain types of beans, yogurt, and the Garden of Life Raw Protein powder. You will be eating carbs in these protein options, so just make sure to budget for them.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Be careful because a lot of vegetarian "meat" is highly processed and can contain a lot of preservatives and other junk. I'm mostly ovo-lacto vegetarian and I stick to whole grains like quinoa, egg whites, oatmeal, high protein breads, low fat milk, tofu, tempeh, edamame, legumes/lentils, certain types of beans, yogurt, and the Garden of Life Raw Protein powder. You will be eating carbs in these protein options, so just make sure to budget for them.

^^ this.
  • mermer45
    mermer45 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    hi guys. I would like to know about veg choices for vegetarians. Anyone there who could help?

Nearly all the legumes ( chickpeas, navy beans, haricot beans, peas etc) have high levels of protein. Throw in just a few nuts and you also have a full range of the necessary amino acids used by the body to make 'complete' proteins.

Another good source is Quinoa - it cooks like rice and and is actually a type of seed from Cereal. It has a slight nutty taste, but is excellent in salads and lasts well in the fridge. Highly recommended. NASA considered Quinoa as a candidate for a complete food as it has a very good protein, carb balance.

Actually, contrary to perception - it's very easy to get enough protein from a vegetarian diet. Actually - with animal protein - it's too easy to go over the recommended daily limit.

Not many people are aware - and many people now follow very high protein diets in the West. However, there is lots of strong scientific evidence now that shows that high protein is linked to higher IGF-1 hormone levels. High levels of IGF-1 is associated with many age related diseases - in particular various forms of cancer and neurological diseases.

There is some debate and claims about which proteins generate high IGF-1 - and there's some evidence to suggest that Milk in particular may be the worst offender in generating high IGF-1 readings.

Having reviewed the evidence. I would try and keep to the RDA levels, whatever your source.

The recommended daily allowance for protein is 0.8 grams per Kilogram of bodyweight. This is very achievable on a reasonable vegetarian diet.
  • sue4kids
    Options
    Hi, I decided this past summer to go vegetarian. Some great cookbooks I came upon that give ideas for Protein ideas are: Veganomicon, vegan yum yum, and PDQ (pretty darn quick) vegetarian recipes. Do like I did, go to the library, take a few each week, try them. If you love the book, half.com...good luck!
  • janten
    Options
    I second greek yogurt, that thing is gooooood, you can make tzatziki with it, look it up.
  • Shafinasegon
    Options
    Brilliant. Off to buying quinoa today. Will stick to RDA levels. I wS assuming all along we need 1gram per kg body weight of protein. Thanks
  • Shafinasegon
    Options

Nearly all the legumes ( chickpeas, navy beans, haricot beans, peas etc) have high levels of protein. Throw in just a few nuts and you also have a full range of the necessary amino acids used by the body to make 'complete' proteins.

Another good source is Quinoa - it cooks like rice and and is actually a type of seed from Cereal. It has a slight nutty taste, but is excellent in salads and lasts well in the fridge. Highly recommended. NASA considered Quinoa as a candidate for a complete food as it has a very good protein, carb balance.

Brilliant. Off to buying quinoa today. Will stick to RDA levels. I wS assuming all along we need 1gram per kg body weight of protein. Thanks

Actually, contrary to perception - it's very easy to get enough protein from a vegetarian diet. Actually - with animal protein - it's too easy to go over the recommended daily limit.

Not many people are aware - and many people now follow very high protein diets in the West. However, there is lots of strong scientific evidence now that shows that high protein is linked to higher IGF-1 hormone levels. High levels of IGF-1 is associated with many age related diseases - in particular various forms of cancer and neurological diseases.

There is some debate and claims about which proteins generate high IGF-1 - and there's some evidence to suggest that Milk in particular may be the worst offender in generating high IGF-1 readings.

Having reviewed the evidence. I would try and keep to the RDA levels, whatever your source.

The recommended daily allowance for protein is 0.8 grams per Kilogram of bodyweight. This is very achievable on a reasonable vegetarian diet.
  • bellybuster118
    bellybuster118 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    black beans black beans black beans!! i love them! they're filling, delicious and packed with protein. there are so many amazing black bean burgers out there!! try one to give the beans a spin and spice from the regular old bean dish!