How important is water?

Options
I'm not at all trying to devalue water, and I'm always trying to get my daily 8 cups, but I would view missing my macros for the day in worse light that missing my water intake for the day. MFPers, your thoughts?

Replies

• erica6732
    erica6732 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    water is very important in flushing out fat from your body. drink ice water. each 16 ounces of ice water burns 17 calories. i know it doesn't sound like much but if you drink 5 bottles of water each day that almost 100 calories per day which is almost 700 calories burned per week. if you don't believe me google it. water helps prevent you from getting bloated by flushing out excess water weight and the fat burning process of metabolism needs water to work effectively and your body has to raise your metabolism to burn extra calories to warm up the ice cold water you drink and a clinical research center in berlin found that after you drink 17 ounces of water your fat burning metabolism increases by 30% withing 10 minutes of drinking water.
  • bkibbs
    bkibbs Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stevehomoki
    Options
    If you sit down and measure 8 cups, it's not a whole lot of water. I can drink up to three times that amount without trying. Water is essential for everything you do. It's like asking if motor oil is essential to the car, heat essential to fire, getting enough sleep essential to survival, gravity essential to star formation.
    Get a gallon jug and drink up.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no scientific evidence supporting the need to consume 8 glasses / 2 litres of water a day in addition to the fluids you consume from food sources and the notion that water flushes fat out of your system is ludicrous.

We've been brainwashed by the bottlers of water & makers of sports drinks......trust your thirst (and drink tap water.......bottled water sales hit 9.1 billion gallons in 2011, most of it in half litre bottles and far too many of those end up in landfill sites....but I digress /rant)
  • Coffeeholic8
    Coffeeholic8 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I drink around 3 litres of tap water a day, today is going to be closer to 4 litres, and if there is a day I drink way less than that I don't feel as good and as I don't do the macro tracking thing it is more important to me to log my water intake. I feel it is an important benefit to me on my journey and to keep me well hydrated during exercise but each to their own.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    If anything, dehydration will effect your workouts, and it's significant.

http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/dehydration-and-its-effects-on-performance
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Figure, your body is about 80% water. (BTW, they were saying 8 glasses/day long before they started bottling it)

You may not actually need 8 glasses, depending on your activity, but it won't hurt. Excess water in moderation will act as its own diuretic.
  • marysue1965
    marysue1965 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i think staying hydrated is super important.
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight while drinking tons of water. I really do belive it flushes toxins out, plus your skin will look awesome!
  • bkibbs
    bkibbs Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I guess the jist of what I'm saying is...would you feel worse if you missed your calorie count for the day or your water count?
  • danmiller87
    danmiller87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I live in Arizona so water is a must!!! I keep a bottle of water with me everywhere I go because if I don't, I get really bad headaches and feel sluggish. I feel worse physically when I miss my water count rather than calorie.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    As a runner, I need to stay hydrated. If I don't drink water my training suffers. To each their own, but for me personally, I need fluids around the clock.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I have read lots of things that say you should drink at least half your body weight in water each day. I drink a lot of water and I feel great. If I am busy on the weekend and I don't get my normal amount of water, I do not feel good, I feel dehydrated.
    For ME water is key. I don't think I would feel physically bad if I went over on my calories like I do when I am low on water intake.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I guess the jist of what I'm saying is...would you feel worse if you missed your calorie count for the day or your water count?

Calorie. But I hate water. Alot of that, though, is because I've been a Dr Pepper addict for years. I drank my last one at work the other night. I did get a Sierra Mist last night, which isn't any better. But it was seasonal, and it took me 16 hours to drink it all. If I can get my entire water intake from green tea instead, I'll be happy. At least it has taste.
  • CindyCountingCalories
    Options
    Bump...
  • Ivana331
    Options
    I drink water when I am thristy, I have found that if I try to force myself to drink at least 8 cups in a day, I struggle with it, By the end of the day I am forcing down the last two cups and really feeling full and like I could gag with every sip. I don't dislike water, when I am thirsty it is great! But I don't really get very thirsty so I feel great drinking 4-6 cups of water per day, plus whatever water I get from fruits and veggies. I love cucumbers and I know they have a high water amount. I just say go with your gut. I never meet the 8 cups per day, and feel fine, but when I go over my calories I feel guilty.
  • Coffeeholic8
    Coffeeholic8 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Water. I've gone over on calories during this but never missed the recommended minimum water intake.
  • Ythomas10
    Ythomas10 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Water is an integral part of your journey to fitness. My trick to drinking water since I have a small mouth is to use a straw. I find myself drinking more water than I do when I drink out a bottle or a cup.

As someone said below, Water flushes the toxins out of your system.

Hope this helps!