Who Runs Before work?

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    I sometimes run before work, though right now its more a function of how hot it still is in SoCal. I don't really eat before unless its over an hour of running, and I don't thoroughly stretch, I warm up the first few miles. I also roll out of bed and do 10 pushups first thing, to get my blood pumping. That way I am much less likely to crawl back into bed.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    I get up at 5 am to run. It's the only time I have between family and work. But it helps that my husband gets up then to get ready for work, so I just get up at his alarm. It's tough at first, but you just have to make yourself do it. And once it's done...it's an AMAZING feeling and it's done for the day!
  • The best thing for me was bribery. I started by saying "i will wake up early all week and then Saturday I will reward myself with a new clothing item." today was day 1...and I feel so good today from working out before work that I can't wait to do it again tomorrow.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    I do because it's the only time it can get done w/o excuses.

I wake up between 4-5am (depending on what distance I want to do that day). I lay out my outfit and shoes by the bathroom door (where I get dressed so I don't wake up DH). I stretch get a little bit of water in and I hit the street. Once or twice a week I started running with my neighbor since we're training for a half marathon next month. At first I was her accountability, but lately she's been mine.

I have to leave the house by 7:30 to get my son to school and me to work by 8.

The key to making sure I get up, is that I go to bed between 9-9:30 pm. And I set my alarm early enough that I allow myself 1 snooze button.

The best thing about the run is the ending and knowing you're done for the day. I manage my daily stress much better this way.
  • cdenton1
    cdenton1 Posts: 4 Member
    I've run 3-4 days a week before work for about 5 years now. Honestly - go to bed a little early the nights before you have to get up early. I'm usually out the door by 5:30 for 4-6 miles and in bed the night before by 9 or 9:30. I have all of my gear out (shoes, shorts/pants, running shirt, jacket, etc) in the bathroom ready to go. Lastly - get a running buddy. Even if you only run with them 2 days a week, the accountability is HUGE. Makes a big difference when you don't want to stand your friend up. I run with a buddy 3 days a week and she makes even the hardest runs seem a little less so.
    It does take some getting used to, but once you do, you'll be so grateful to be able to get up and get your run in.
  • Kjngrrl
    Kjngrrl Posts: 53 Member
    I am not a morning person by any means, but I run before work. I am also doing C25K. I started out in the evenings, but I live in TX and had to wait until late in the evening to avoid heat stroke. As a result, as the workouts became more intense, I found I couldn't fall asleep. So I started running in the mornings. It takes everything I have to get out of bed, but once I'm out the door doing the 5 min warm-up and my blood starts flowing, I'm good to go.
  • I've been running in the AM (usually out of bed and hitting the pavement by 5:15am) for some time now, and have a 50lb weight loss to show for it.

I didn't start running outside till August. I was just doing the treadmill. Huge difference. It's harder but so much more enjoyable. I went back and did the treadmill at the gym last Friday and I had to laugh at how easy it was. I think I scared some people. They were huffing and puffing at 5.8 miles an hour and I had to crank it up to nearly 8mph to get my pulse up there the same as running outside.

It also rips through the calories like you wouldn't believe. My 4.2 mile route burns up about 800 calories. (Polar FT7 calculated). That puts me at 3,200 calories as a daily goal. Not trying to lose weight now and I'm having a hard time eating back all the calories. I'm "cheating" with peanut butter so that helps. Anyone trying to lose weight, this outdoor running thing is a step in the right direction for sure.

It is much harder to run outside, which I found when I did my first 5-K after training for it on a treadmill, I was like... WTF? BUT, since I run in the morning before work and have a little 3-year old in bed, I obviously can't leave the child alone, so I use my treadmill. You gotta do what you gotta do, and Lord knows running on the treadmill is better than not running at all :drinker:
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    It is much harder to run outside, which I found when I did my first 5-K after training for it on a treadmill, I was like... WTF? BUT, since I run in the morning before work and have a little 3-year old in bed, I obviously can't leave the child alone, so I use my treadmill. You gotta do what you gotta do, and Lord knows running on the treadmill is better than not running at all :drinker:

I've heard lots of people say that a 1% incline on the treadmill does a pretty good job of simulating running outside. I still enjoy doing the treadmill some times just to mix things up. I might try that next time just to see. One other funny thing about running outdoors, if you get tired you can't just hop off and quit. If I jog 2 miles out I have to get back to the house eventually so getting tired and stopping isn't an option.
  • I used to resist running before work, but it is the only time when no-one is looking for me. I've learn to love it. Here's what I would suggest:
    - set up your gear the night before
    - have quality gear for the weather (from a good running shop)
    - get up the same time every day during the week (no snooze!) almost without exception
    - run indoors when it is BOTH dark and cold, but otherwise indoors (safer and probably you will be happier)
    - eat a small snack as soon as you wake up (e.g. - granola bar or some sport drink) so that it is as long before you run as possible
    - be as consistent as possible
    - run with friends if you can, or at lease exchange updates and goals with running friends
    - vary your types of runs to keep it iteresting
    - have a race goal or other goal to help with motivation
    - keep track of your miles and success
    - go to bed appropriately early the night before and be consistent
    - run anyway even if you are out late the night before or had too much to drink :-)
    - find ways over time to just enjoy the run and how it makes you feel - think positive!
  • On the treadmill, always keep the treadmill at an incline of 1 or higher, and that makes the treadmil more similar to running on flat roads
  • starsuper12
    starsuper12 Posts: 10 Member
    I agree!! I am a single girl, and probably have more time than you as a Mom. I am always amazed at the busy Moms out there who do make time for themselves. I started going to the gym in the evenings and also running in the evenings and weekends. I had a very hard time getting into this routine. I don't like working out at night. As you start to mentally break down, the excuses that arise just before you go and do your work out, I find now even when I feel tired or sluggish, I just do it now. Once, I am actually there the tiredness or sluggishness immediately disappears. I actually talk myself into working out now. Before, I would talk myself out.
  • shannonmci
    shannonmci Posts: 56 Member
    I run 3-4 mornings a week. As others, I set out my gear the night before. When that alarm goes off at 3:30, I try to find every excuse not to get up. But in the end, I always do. Feel too guilty if I don't! I am a huge fan of running in the dark in my little town, so this time works perfect for me. It is also much cooler then!

My biggest suggestion would be to set out your stuff the night before. Also, try just one or two mornings a week for a while so that your body gets used to getting up earlier. Once you are used to that, add in a day. I promise, there is nothing like starting the day out with a run! You will feel great and energized the rest of the day!! Happy Running!!
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    I am a very new "runner" - working my way through C25K - mornings are really the only time I can do it consistently, so I have been dragging myself out of bed as soon as it is just light enough outside. I am really starting to enjoy it - the sky is beautiful, it's quiet and cool and I can get one of the most important items of the day done before 7.

So far (and its only been a few weeks) - I find I really need to get to bed by 10 (which is hard when I don't finish up with the kids and housework until 9+). And I need to lay out all my clothes and gear (or sleep in them!). In the morning, I drink a glass of water and head out the door. I walk for about 5 minutes to warm up and feel pretty loose by then. If not, I will do some stretches. Cooling down and stretching after are also critical.

I never thought I could do it, but it really is a question of mind over matter.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    I downloaded an alarm clock that forces me to do a certain number of math problems before Im allowed to snooze or dismiss it. It makes me brain wake up for almost 30 seconds and then its like, well, flop, im awake now.

But mostly... I throw the blankets off of me as though they personally insulted me determination to change my life. I wouldnt take that from someone else. Someone saying, well, youd rather sleep anyway so obviously you want sleep more than you want to look and feel better- so by all means, go ahead and continue to do what youve always done. Indulge in something that wont add anything beneficial to your day.

Sleeping in for an extra 15 minutes is nice for 15 minutes but it doesnt make you well rested and it doesnt allow you to spend the rest of your day with a self righteous bounce in your step and a good feeling about yourself that no one can take away.
  • starsuper12
    starsuper12 Posts: 10 Member
    I've been running in the AM (usually out of bed and hitting the pavement by 5:15am) for some time now, and have a 50lb weight loss to show for it.

I'm the same as Waffle. I put everything next to my bed so that when I roll over to shut off my alarm clock, my running clothes look at me (extremely judgingly) and say "Get your lazy *kitten* out of bed!" I also don't eat anything before a run unless I'm running for longer than an hour, and even then it's something for quick energy like a quater cup of raisins or a few bites of banana. Make sure you're well-hydrated the night before, and you'll just need a bit of water before you go.

When everything is on auto-pilot, you won't even think about not getting up anymore. I'm usually on my second kilometer before my brain catches up and realizes what's going on, and by then, it's too late!

I also prep absolutely everything before I go to bed. My breakfast and lunch are packed and ready in the fridge, and the clothes I'm going to wear to work the next day are laid out and ready to go (unmentionnables included!).

Some of the people on my friends list are really becoming accustomed to my routine, and expect to see a run logged by me before most of them are even out of bed. I also use Rundouble as an app to track my pace/distance, and quite often I'll post it to Facebook so people there keep me accountable too.

If you want it badly enough, you'll get 'er done. Just find your routine. It'll take some guess & check on your part (what works for me won't necessarily work for you)... But trust me, once you find that routine, you'll feel weird when you don't do it.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to lose the weight? You look great by the way. Congratulations!!
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Listen to iWaffle. That approach works. On days when I really thought I couldn't do it (or thought I didn't want to), I would get dressed and tell myself I was just going to walk to the mailbox and back. Once I had done that, I was ready to go. Trick yourself into taking even the smallest movement toward the run (i.e., getting ready, getting your shoes on, etc), and you'll be amazed at how much difference that will make. Good luck! C25K is a great plan. You can do this!
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    I get up earlier 3 days per week to do my C25K walk/run. I am NOT a morning person, but it's only a 20-30 minute commitment each of those 3 mornings & I always end up feeling better about myself once I've actually done it! :)
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Bump - I think I may need some inspiration to get up at 5am and run. I usually do it after work, but would be nice to have evenings free to do p90x and mornings for running. My biggest problem would be running on country road before dawn (no street lights so it's pitch black and cars drive VERY fast down that road).
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,284 Member
    I try to run away from work but that doesn't work
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    I did all last week. Took me 3 weeks before hand just to get used to waking up at 5:00am. But I did it and loved it. I'm on a break this week but will start up again next week and hopefully make it a regular routine.