Becoming a Vegetarian....

Options
I am seriously looking into the Vegetarian lifestyle, i'm not sure that i can do the full vegan thing yet though, for several different personal reasons. I am interested in tips and recipes from those of you that have choosen to cut meat from your diets. Thank you :)

Replies

• goofylove89
    goofylove89 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 17 years now. I think that it is really easy once you get the hang of it. I pretty much make everything I use to just don't inculde the meat. Example: spagetti with just marinara, tacos with beans or soy crumbles, etc. I do use meat substitues pretty often, and swear by anything made by the Morning Star brand....all other brands are hit and miss.
  • dawnshot
    dawnshot Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I hadn't thought about becoming vegetarian , but my Hubby pointed out that I hardly eat meat now. I seem to be collecting vegetarian recipes too. There are loads on the web
  • Jenada79
    Jenada79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    hey I have been vegetarian for about 16 years now and I like a lot of Skinny ***** recipes which are all vegan and The Kind Diet. I also make a lot of stuff up on my own and the minus the meat on recipes is a great idea. I use to be terrible for loading/doubling up on pasta, rice and bread when I first became a vegetarian which happens to a lot of people but now I have very little of that and instead pile on the vegetables. Tempeh is my favourite vegan protein to use. I like the texture and its easy to flavor and top onto salads, in a sandwich or added to chillis and stir fries.
  • adventuring
    Options
    It's fairly easy to eat vegetarian, in my experience. Just try not to fall into the trap of relying too heavily on processed meat substitutes or junk food, which is often vegetarian to begin with. Is there something specific you were curious about?
  • LindseyRoot
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am curious to what suppliments people use..
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Hey. I've been vegetarian for 14 years, now I'm vegan too. My diary is open and you're welcome to have a look, not all of it is pretty.

It all depends on what you're eating right now. I think that if you like cooking, it's a good opportunity to look into new ingredients you've never tried before. Add pulses and veggies to your diet and track with MFP your iron intake. I think it would be a good idea to get some blood work in 6 months or so to make sure you're doing it well.

Personally, I use B-12 because it's very hard to get from a vegetarian diet, and Omega 3 (there's a vegetarian version - flaxseed oil). I get quite a bit of iron without any supplements.
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think it is very reasonable of you to be considering the vegetarian lifestyle. I was vegetarian for about two years then had to come back to meat. Then I tried again to be vegan for about 6 months and came back to eating animal products again. Personally, it was about feeling fatigue and unrest/anxiety on a vegetable based diet. People will argue about this, but my main fat source and B12 source, as per my metabolic body type, has to come from animals. You may want to do a trial run- do it for a month and see how it fits your lifetyle, how you feel, keep a diary. If you already eat "clean" or a 50% plant based diet, it will not be a hard transition for you, physically or mentally. Plant only based diet helps many people with weight loss, better health, but in general it is not for everyone.
  • adventuring
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am curious to what suppliments people use..

I've taken vitamins on and off, but the only thing I make sure to do right now is put nutritional yeast in and on things for the B12.
  • LovelyVegetarian
    LovelyVegetarian Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for almost 20 years. I get my protein from fish, nuts, legumes, cheese and eggs. I've had two healthy children and never was I at risk of having low B12 or any other vitamin (pre, during or post pregnancies). I don't take any supplements, just try to enjoy a balanced diet. I'm not low on iron or anything and am very healthy. I don't use meat substitutes too much because for me it's a texture thing - I don't like meat due to its texture (all meat) so having fake ground beef is counter-intuitive for me. Lots of good cookbooks out there. Quinoa is my latest obsession - it's a complete food and sooo easy to make.
  • Jenada79
    Jenada79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I take Berroca which is vitamin b complex with vitamin c, calcium, magnesium and zinc.I take a multi vitamin for sport if I am somewhere without Berroca. I also use Vega One products while I am training for a marathon which are vegan products. I do not eat fish or seafood I am pretty strict and very little dairy and eggs. I am with Lilli7 on the fake meat I very rarely use fake meat as well I am not a fan of the taste or texture. I tend to stick with tofu and tempeh and lots of beans and legumes. I have never tested low on anything whether I have been taking suppliments or not. Its really about what is right for you and your body, just tries varriations to see whats right for you.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I sort of became veggie by mistake!

Since E was born 5 weeks ago, i just havent really felt like meat, certainly not like cooking meat, Started by just always wanting veggie stirfry which was our veggie staple, then we decided we HAD to eat the meat in the freezer so made a spag bol and the meat just tasted RANK. We had still been eating meat at friends houses and when taken out to dinner but that ended when my mum left about 2 weeks ago and we haven't eaten any meat since then. Haven't missed it at all. Our foods are much nicer, more enjoyable and lower in calories.

I have also cut gluten out of my diet and in doing so have learnt SO much about food...

So this week we have had

falafal with hummus, flatbread and quinoa rice n veggies

tarka dahl, chickpea chapatis, raita and rice n veggies (all homemade)

and the same for lunches.

Also great are jacket potatoes and various toppings

bean salads

veggie spag bols just sweated veggies, tomato sauce and a few herbs

going veggie makes you explore food so much more... i think restrictions in diet are actually a really good thing!
  • LindseyRoot
    Options
    Great feedback!!! i'm now on day two of a "concious" meatless diet. I know i will have to gradually get into it because i do have a husband and two children that have thier own say in whether or not they want to continue eating meat. :) but i'm the one who cooks so... "ya get what ya get, and you don't throw a fit" lol. anywho... Thank you all again for you advice and suggestions!
  • mdb543
    mdb543 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    try the new vegan shakeology to get all your nutrients
  • mamatafari
    mamatafari Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! No need for supplements because every vegetable and fruit, bean, seed etc. has all the vitamins needed.
    One great website (ideas for meals) is www.theppk.com
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Hi, as a vegetarian you likely do not need any supplements. If you do consider going vegan, you may consider a b12 supplement or buy b12 fortified foods. I take a daily multivitamin just to round off my bases.

Try making your favorite reciepes vegetarian, there are tons of meat substitutes you can buy now. My favorite brand is gardein. Or you can use beans or quinoa. I love quinoa :)
  • LovelyVegetarian
    LovelyVegetarian Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add that my husband and children eat meat. I have no problem making meat (well bacon does kind of gross me out and I can't stand the smell) and yes, it's hard at times when I'm cooking for all of us. I just try to substitute my protein but don't typically cook two entirely separate meals.
  • blackberrysmom
    Options
    October is Nat'l Vegetarian Awareness Month. This would be the perfect time to dive in. I took the pledge to be "meat free" for the month. Look around your area for groups and events.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I am a pescetarian. If you eat the right variety of foods, you do not need supplements. I am against taking manufactured supplements unless your bloodwork proves you need it. Otherwise, get it from your food, it is healthier and absorbs better into your system if you get it the natural way.
  • LindseyRoot
    Options
    Great! i didnt realize my timing was so right on to get started. :) i use ViSalus so that helps a lot with nutrition. on the PETA sight i saw that there was a place to take a 30 day pledge.
  • pennyknipprath
    pennyknipprath Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    We have recently decided to eat Vegetarian with a nod to Vegan.

We find Cheese is our biggest stumbling block to Vegan. I have tried a few substitute cheese products but don't like them. My family loves Cheese. We don't eat eggs on weekends anymore, but I haven't tried to take eggs out of bread products. Almond Milk is working great for milk substitute.

I found it difficult at first. I looked up recipies on line and in magazines. I found they used too many products I was unfamiliar with, to many ingredients, the food was palletable, but I didn't really enjoy it.

Then I decided to make food just the way I always had, but change the meat to beans, rices, quinoa, tofu, etc.., and add more vegetables like spinach, zuchini, sweet potatoes to dishes. It's working great even the family is adjusting. Some side beinfits to being a vegetarian we have noticed.

Saving money on MEAT, which helps justify more organics, nuts & nicer cheeses.
    I don't worry about taking the meat out of the freezer to thaw for dinner.
    Cleaner stove top and oven, because no grease splatter all over the kitchen.
    Easier kitchen clean up, refer to grease splatter, add broiler pans, fry pans grill cleaning, no grease splatter on my clothes etc..
    Less trash, meat containers which are bad for environment and bones, kitchen doesn't stink from meat container in trash.
    No meat stuck between my teeth.
    Using the BBQ less so saves cost of refilling propane tank.
    My blood pressure dropped, so I no longer require medication.
    My 13 yr old daughter dropped 10 lbs.
    We began composing at the same time, lots of vegi scraps making great compost, which will save money on fertilizers next spring.
    We can allow a little more grains, beans etc. due to calories not used up by fatty meat products.
    Feeling great and my energy up.

FYI! I was already B-12 deficient I have been atking 1000 mcg of B-12 for the past 10 years plus Citrical for Calcium & D vitamin.

Good luck! we are making sweet potato and black bean Enchilada's for dinner. I can't wait! :drinker: