curious about coffee

Options
I'm just wondering if anyone knows, how much is too much coffee? I LOVE my coffee and drink 2-3 cups a day. My blood pressure and heart rate are great (now...after losing and exercising regularly!). I don't drink soda very often and I drink diet soda when I do. I always drink my water and more. I just wondered what you guys knew about coffee, good or bad?

Thanks!

Susan

Replies

• bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Different studies say different things- some support coffee as good for the brain, others say it's bad in other ways. It's really just hard to say. It seems like if you enjoy your coffee and you are healthy (according to your Dr. of course), your coffee intake must be okay for you.
  • joeykukz
    Options
    Coffee isn't that bad for you its the extras people put into it that will hurt weight loss goals. Adding the sugars and creams will add the calories very fast. Use non fat creamers and fake sugars, and as long as you are drinking plenty of water during the day also your kidneys will love you.
  • Momo84
    Momo84 Posts: 13
    Options
    I drink about 2 cups a day too, I love my keurig! I've actually read alot of health benefits to coffee, it speeds up your metabolism...I know too much caffeine is not a good thing though. It's what you add to your coffee that can be bad, I always put a table spoon of creamer in, but try to go sugar free. I've recently become a coffee drinker, and def feel the withdrawal effects if I don't have it.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    To date they are claiming it is good for women to drink 2 - 6 cups :happy: a day that it helps fight different kinds of cancer. Heard that on the radio last spring... My Mom and I was downing 2 to 4 pots a day :noway: ... I had to share that info with her - so that's why I remember. :flowerforyou: So it sounds like you are fine in your consumption. :wink:
  • TwentyTen
    Options
    I love love my coffee too. Have since I was a kid even. My doctor's biggest beef about coffee is that it inhibits your bodies ability to absorb calcium. When you go to get a bone density test, there is a checkbox on there abuot whether or not you consume caffiene. So, maybe it;s not the coffee per se, but the caffeine. My doctor hassles me about it every time, and insists it should be given up entirely.

She isn't too happy with me, becauseI have';t been able to do so,lol. YET
    I am preparing for a coffee quit though now. Sunday, this Sunday, Eeeek . I am seriously going to see if I can finally kill that habit. Exepecting it may be a painful few days.

Probably it is not SO bad for you, you hear conflicting opinions, some say it can be beneficial. Moderation as they say ..My coffeee habit however includes alot of sugar. I would think if your staying at 3 cups or below and not getting anymore caffeine, and you do not lace it with sugar , you're probably fine drinking that amount.

I know that the few times I have managed to go a week or two without it , I have felt better for it.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation. I love my coffee. I drink 1-2 cups each morning. I use powdered creamer and sugar. I am trying to reduce the sugar and can tolerate how many calories I consume from it right now.

I agree that if you don't have any health problems that the caffeine might hurt further, I would drink what you like.
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Coffee junkie here....I LOVE coffee!!! I drink anywhere from 4-6 cups a day!!! I was diagnosed with an ulcer last fall and my doctor said is was probably due to the amount of Ibuprofen I was taking and took me off it along with wine (for a short time) and a few other things. I told him about my coffee addiction and he said that although it may be an irritant that if I give up the other stuff coffee should be just fine. I can't tell you how happy that made me! Since then, my ulcer has healed and I drank coffee the whole time. Black, no sugar no cream.
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    as with all things : good in moderation. the cream and sugar is what makes it so bad for you most of the time. it's hard on my kidneys and bladder, but i'd drink much more if it wasn't. if it's the taste you like, maybe try subbing one cup of decaf into your daily intake.
  • crlyn324
    Options
    I love and need my Dunkin Donuts iced coffee in the morning. It does have a lot of calories, but that replaces a meal for me. Yes, I am on a diet, but why suffer? I look foward to the coffee and I allow for it.
  • becabunny
    Options
    I adore coffee, I have been a barista for three years and my Keurig is my best friend! It is the extras that make it count! I can't help but cringe when I have to make some one a triple extra syrup breve whatever (breve=half in half instead of milk for your latte). For anyone concerned about acidity, splurge on a TODDY maker. It is the smoothest cup you will have in your life ( I despise black coffee but I drink this stuff black as much as I can, it's that smooth). It also stores and freezes well (cubes) which is good because it has to be made by the pound.