mayo substitute?

Options
hello MFP-er's! hope everyone is having a healthy day!

...was wondering if anyone had any ideas on a healthy alternative to mayonnaise?

thanks in advance!!! :)

Replies

• runnninginmd
    Options
    I usually substitute it with Greek Yogurt in recipes...
  • skyeliz525
    skyeliz525 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    0% greek yogurt in recipes.

Hummus, mustard, light salad dressing on sandwiches, wraps, etc.

And if, only if, I have to use mayo in something, I use the Kraft reduced fat kind with olive oil.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    what makes mayo unhealthy in the first place?
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Make your own if you're worried about hydrogenated oils. If not, its a condiment, just don't go overboard with it like eating it by the spoonful and its really not going to matter.
  • ds233005
    ds233005 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I make tuna salad I use Laughing Cow cheese wedges (creamy swiss) instead of mayo. It gives it a much better taste!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Don't take my mayo! I use mayo packets to control my portions.
  • livaneah
    livaneah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms makes 0 calorie/0 carb/Gluten Free line of dressings.
  • cdub78
    cdub78 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I smash up an avocado and mix in a little salsa to spread on my turkey sandwiches and it is delicious!
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    For sandwiches, I like this instead...

Jimmy John's Avocado Spread
    Ingredients:
    1 sm. Chili pepper
    1 med. Onion
    1 sm. Garlic clove
    1 sm. Tomato, peeled
    2 med. Ripe Calavo avocados
    1 tbl. Fresh lemon or lime juice
    3/4 tsp. Salt
    1 dsh. Seasoned salt
    1 dsh. Dry mustard

Directions:
    Chop chili pepper, onion, garlic, peeled tomato and blend. Cut avocado into halves, remove seed and skin, mash with chili mixture. Blend in lemon or lime juice, salt, pepper, seasoned salt and dry mustard.

Makes 1 1/2 cups dip.
    Source: Josh, Jimmy John's employe of the month
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    When I started, I used to stick to just mustard on my sandwiches (I like spicy brown). But I have discovered that it is not necessarily a good thing to cut fats from your diet. Mayonnaise has saturated fat, but it also has a significant amount of unsaturated fats (which my body needs) so I have actually put it back into my diet, but only a half serving at a time.
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with mayo -- it's the reduced cal/light stuff that is ALL wrong.... IMO
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    When I was losing, I started eating Miracle Whip light instead. Much fewer calories, and I actually liked the tanginess. Still has the texture of mayo.

Warning: It does NOT cook up like Mayo, so if you have a recipe that calls for mayo, use the real full-fat version.
  • bwdcjk
    bwdcjk Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just replying to save that Jimmy John's recipe! YUM
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I've found myself using avocado, baba ganoush, non-fat greek yogurt, hummus, chipotle sauce, tahini paste, and mustards (yellow, dijon, hot) alot. More flavor, less bad (trans/saturated) fats, higher nutrient value, and plenty of moisture to give the right texture to food.
  • PinkPaintedLady
    PinkPaintedLady Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    what makes mayo unhealthy in the first place?

i'll re-word my question because I suppose your right, it's not necessarily unhealthy....I would personally rather not use mayo if I can avoid it. I get my fats from other sources throughout the day...just curious as to what I can use in place of it that may be lower in calories. :)
  • PinkPaintedLady
    Options
    thank you very much for all of the ideas!!! much appreciated!
  • PinkPaintedLady
    Options
    When I make tuna salad I use Laughing Cow cheese wedges (creamy swiss) instead of mayo. It gives it a much better taste!

LOVE this idea!!! thank you!
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute for real mayo.
  • PinkPaintedLady
    Options
    There is no substitute for real mayo.

I agree and disagree with this. I understand that there is no EXACT substitute...just wondering what people use in place of it. As far as I'm concerned, many people on this post have given me excellent ideas!
  • Fat2Fit4Life
    Fat2Fit4Life Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    For sandwiches, I like this instead...

Jimmy John's Avocado Spread
    Ingredients:
    1 sm. Chili pepper
    1 med. Onion
    1 sm. Garlic clove
    1 sm. Tomato, peeled
    2 med. Ripe Calavo avocados
    1 tbl. Fresh lemon or lime juice
    3/4 tsp. Salt
    1 dsh. Seasoned salt
    1 dsh. Dry mustard

Directions:
    Chop chili pepper, onion, garlic, peeled tomato and blend. Cut avocado into halves, remove seed and skin, mash with chili mixture. Blend in lemon or lime juice, salt, pepper, seasoned salt and dry mustard.

Makes 1 1/2 cups dip.
    Source: Josh, Jimmy John's employe of the month

Bump!

Anything with avacado rocks -- I smash up 1/2 of one with a little hotsauce and garlic salt - mix with tuna, spread it inside an omelette, or on a sandwich! WOOT!