SNOW!!

Options
Is shoveling heavy wet snow considered an exercise....

Replies

• ccaruso219
    Options
    I would think so....Cardio at least....
  • kingnatalie
    Options
    I would say yes - it is totally a workout - leaves you sweating and your heart beating hard every time.
  • ractayjon
    Options
    YES!
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    absolutely...even "light house work" (or something like that) is in the exercise database......
  • jilk
    jilk Posts: 3
    Options
    It is stenious exercise. You need to be careful. The cold will constrict blood vessels and shoveling can, and does cause heart attacks.

Clearing a driveway two cars wide and 20 feet long is equalt to digging a hole 6 ffet long 3 feet wide and 6 feet deep. AKA a grave. If you are not careful, you could be in one. Take lot's of breaks and be aware that your heart is working twice as hard in the cold weather.
  • beachcomber
    Options
    I have been shoveling so much snow latelty and I agree it is. I tell ya, I work up quite a sweat. Plus it has to add to strength training. To me anything that gets yo u moving is excercise!!!
  • bby_baer
    Options
    For Sure!! And it's probably the worst kind of workout too! LOL Can Mother Nature PLEASE get rid of this snow and let Spring begin already?!
    I'm in Green Bay and we didn't get as hard this time around as some, but almost 6 inches is still too much! : )
    Can't wait to get out of this house and be able to enjoy the outdoors again.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Try this site. It has TONS of things where it can tell you the calories burned (including some not suitable for viewers under 18), but it has shoveling snow. For a guy my size it's a crazy, butt load of calories burned. Granted you wouldn't think I get to do much of it in Virginia Beach, but heck it is an El Nino year...:noway:
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I wore my HRM yesterday while I shoveled - 90min of shoveling = 675 calories!
  • nikkia75
    Options
    675 calories wow.....let it snow!!

until then im back to the treadmill! :yawn: