exercise and eating

How long should I wait after I exercise (Not too strenuous) to eat? Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Bump
  • marysue1965
    marysue1965 Posts: 63 Member
    I just exercise & i ate like 10 minutes later, i'm always hungry after a workout.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    When you're hungry and want to eat.
  • I would strongly recommend a recovery drink or protein shake after working out. The bes time to absorb key nutrients is withn an hour after your workout.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    This is an individual thing... depends on how much you eat and what level of exercise...always good to wait 10-30 minutes at least is my rule.
  • FitspoEm
    FitspoEm Posts: 94 Member
    i sometimes eat litterally straight away (after ive got my breath back :D)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Doesn't matter... whenever you are ready. There is no benefit to eating immediately after or waiting a certain time. Eat when you want, as long as you're eating.
  • jacksonpt
    The bes time to absorb key nutrients is withn an hour after your workout.

This theory has been debunked in recent years.

• Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    thanks everyone! Now, my Greek yogurt w/ sunflower seeds and sugar free strawberry preserves is waiting for me... :wink:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

I don't really believe that it has, not in regards to strength training, at least. What the studies have shown is somewhat different from what posters on MFP proclaim. But that's neither here nor there for this post.

For the OP's situation, I completely agree, it really doesn't matter. Eat when you want to eat.
  • jacksonpt

I don't really believe that it has, not in regards to strength training, at least. What the studies have shown is somewhat different from what posters on MFP proclaim. But that's neither here nor there for this post.

For the OP's situation, I completely agree, it really doesn't matter. Eat when you want to eat.

Care to explain? I'm always looking to learn more... post or PM me if you don't want to hijack the thread.
  • Gav149
    Gav149 Posts: 2 Member
    Within 30 mins
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    I once had a wierd experience - had a lovely but not too vigorous run (maybe 40 minutes of what felt like a comfortable pace - not slow but not too hard). I then cooked a stir fry, ate it (~20 minutes after the run), and promptly threw up. Didn't feel sick, food was fresh and properly cooked, body just preferred not to deal with that. I also drank water between run and eating, may have contributed to the problem. I had no warning, which was the most upsetting part. I'm more than willing to listen to my body, but can't when it's silent :( After that, I now wait a while (hour) for an actual meal and avoid large quantities of liquids, though I'll eat small things (piece of fruit, slice of cheese) and drink a little (4-6 oz) immediately if I feel the need.

I'm not suggesting my experience is typical (I believe it is NOT), just relaying it. As always, YMMV.