40g of fibre....in one day!?!

Options
Hi

I have read on the internets that to effectively lose fat, you need to eat 40g of fibre a day. So I played about with my tracker for tomorrow to test it...the highest I got was 32g.

Whether the 40g of fibre is true or not is not what I am questioning....how does one even manage to eat 40g of fibre (hypothetically speaking ofc). Unless I have 4 bowls of all-bran a day it seems impossible!

Thanks.

Replies

• Gilligan11
    Gilligan11 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Every few days (when I remember) I take benefibre with water. It actually tastes pretty good, and is helpful in the fibre department. An apple has about 4 grams and a pear has about 5 grams. I also cook with flax seed sometimes. Good luck!
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I actually have to watch what I eat not to eat too much.
  • theladysarah
    theladysarah Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    see I have a stomach condition which requires that amount of fibre and I can never get there! so what do you eat that makes it get that high?
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I do it most days, even when eating low carb. You can check out my food diary for ideas.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's actually true, but I eat 40-50g/day, most days. Vegetables, beans, and nuts, pretty much.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I use a fiber supplement and eat an apple a day. Yeah, I know that sounds corny, but that old apple a day thing is so true. Beans everyday. I like them on my toast or just in a bowl. Vegetables for lunch and dinner. One more fruit. I eat a lot of things that have fiber and there have been times when I have hit over 40 grams of fiber in a day. Lately, I have been in a funk, and my intestines feel that way.

Good luck!
  • fallser
    Options
    I add chia seeds to a lot of foods I prepare. Gives an extra 4g of fiber boost if the meal is otherwise lacking (like my typical Greek yogurt lunch would otherwise be).
  • lgoldgirl
    Options
    First, that's not true. You need to work out regularly, cardio and weight training and eat on a calorie deficit, in order to burn fat. That said, fiber is great for you, most people don't get enough of it and high fiber foods keep you fuller for longer. I regularly eat close to 40 grams a day in 1,600 calories or under. On a day that I eat over 1,600 calories, I easily top 40. Here is an example of my day:

Breakfast:
    Homemade smoothie with kale, spinach, orange, strawberries, bluberries, raspberries, tofu, coconut milk beverage, water, banana, possibly some chia seeds or flax
    Hardboiled Egg

Lunch:
    Grilled chicken
    Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Olive oil
    1 (cooked) cup Quinoa

Dinner:

Trader Joe's turkey burger
    Whole Wheat sandwich round
    two slices tomato
    1 cup sauteed spinach with olive oil and garlic
    1 tablespoon crumbled feta

Snacks:
    24 raw almonds
    1/4 cup dry oatmeal, cooked and topped with 8-10 pistachio meats and cinnamon
    2 medium bananas.

That gave me 35 grams of fiber and I wasn't even trying.

Whole grains, fruits and green veggies are all likely to be high in fiber.
  • loveachallenge
    loveachallenge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have read on the internets that to effectively lose fat, you need to eat 40g of fibre a day. So I played about with my tracker for tomorrow to test it...the highest I got was 32g.

Whether the 40g of fibre is true or not is not what I am questioning....how does one even manage to eat 40g of fibre (hypothetically speaking ofc). Unless I have 4 bowls of all-bran a day it seems impossible!

Thanks.

Chia seeds, flax seeds, beans, kale, fiber bars, some fruits
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Load of ....

I get all of my fibre ONLY from veggies and the occasional fruit. My fibre goal is set at 15g. Sometimes I reach it, go over, or am well under. I don't have ANY negative issues from my fibre, or lack of, in fact, my health is AWESOME since giving up grains and legumes. I had many, many issues from eating lots of whole grains and legumes while eating a "healthy" diet before. I think fibre is important but has been over-rated while healthy fats and proteins have been over-demonized.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would question the recommendation of that much every day. I believe that is closer to the daily recommendation for whole grains, not fiber. But, that said, I have gotten that much or more on occasion.

On 9/17 I ate 1508 total calories and had 49 g fiber. That consisted of:
    breakfast -- soy milk w/ hershey's syrup
    lunch -- chili-mac (beef & bean chili w/ whole grain pasta shells)
    dinner -- chili-mac with cheddar cheese, kale, red wine
    snacks -- cottage cheese w/fresh peach; dry roasted edamame
    dessert -- cocoa roasted almonds

On 9/5 I ate 1516 total calories and had 46 g fiber. That consisted of:
    lunch -- wrap made with Flat Out brand whole grain wrap, hummus, spinach, parsley, tomato and bell pepper
    dinner -- kale; beans and rice (kidney beans, brown rice, chopped onion, carrot, celery, jalapeno and garlic); red wine.
    snacks -- soy milk; dry roasted edamame
    dessert -- cocoa roasted almonds

Yesterday I came close with 39 g and ate 1579 total calories. That consisted of:
    lunch -- low sodium V8, brown rice, asparagus
    dinner -- lasagna (made with whole wheat noodles), 2 slices of whole grain bread red wine
    snacks -- apple; dry roasted edamame
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Load of ....

I get all of my fibre ONLY from veggies and the occasional fruit. My fibre goal is set at 15g. Sometimes I reach it, go over, or am well under. I don't have ANY negative issues from my fibre, or lack of, in fact, my health is AWESOME since giving up grains and legumes. I had many, many issues from eating lots of whole grains and legumes while eating a "healthy" diet before. I think fibre is important but has been over-rated while healthy fats and proteins have been over-demonized.

Healthy fats and protein are demonized??
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Load of ....

ummm, k.

Anyway, back in the land of common sense... it is very possible to get to 40g without supplements, but hard to do it with lower carb. I have found a coule of products that really help boost my fibre and get 35-40g per day within around 200g of total Carbs.