Indian restaurant best choice

Options
I'm going out for a meal next weekend for my cousin's 21st (so I don't get a say in where we go!) we were meant to be going to a restaurant where I'd already chosen a healthy fish and vegetables meal but now been told we're going to an Indian restaurant.

What are the best (veggie or fish, no meat or poultry) choices, I know nothing is great calorie wise but I'm looking at damage limitation!

Replies

• caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the fried stuff. Avoid or limit the naan. Avoid or limit the rice, and pile the Indian food on top of veggies.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Any more suggestions?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Any more suggestions?

I was going to suggest broiled lamb chops, but you said no meat. Many Indian vegetable dishes are high in fat or starch, so I don't know what to suggest. Call ahead and see if they serve fish and ask for a special order.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I love Indian food - I would normallly have said the Chicken Tandoori but you said no poultry or meat.

There is usually a dal dish (lentils with spices) as them to not add any finshing fat (traditional to add ghee - melted butter)

The veggie curries are great too

There is a dry fried cauliflower which is very good - try for for plain rice try not to eat the breads or the popadoms the are usually fried or have fat in them - Naan has yogurt but if you want a bread plain Naan is the best option
  • Needtobefitandslimagain
    Options
    Hey, I always struggle but have found that some of the lowers ones are the tandorri dishes.
    Have you tried Paneer Shashlik, i really like that and it is a lot lower than some of the dishes on the menu.
    Veg curry is always lower too.
    I always order something like this and have a spoonful of rice from my boyfriends order.

Good luck!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Fish isn't usually a big part of Indian food and ruling out chicken pretty much means veggie is the way to go. Look for something with lentils or chickpeas, "aloo" means potatoes so that is an option too.

Should not be hard at all to eat well at an Indian restaurant veggie style.
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I always have Chicken Tikka starter as a main, see if they do a Quorn or Veg version, It comes with salad add a glass of wine - spot on
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I now get the Shrimp Tandoori with a side of chapati (roti) at my favorite Indian place.. They also have a broiled fish specialty called Fish Tikka. Maybe where you're going has these??
  • PossumPink
    PossumPink Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had tandoori chicken last time I went out for Indian- it says 390 calories for half a chicken on MFP which I thought was OK for a meal out- it was very tasty too I might add :)
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Avoid dishes which are made with creamy sauces stick with tomato based sauces such as rogan josh.
    Avoid naan bread and have a popadom instead
    Stick with plain boiled rice instead of fried

In my local Indian restaurant they will cook u a healthy alternative if u let them know. Might be worth looking up the restaurants menu before u go x
  • LittleMissDover
    Options
    Oooh tandoori shrimp sounds good.

Thanks for the ideas all :happy:
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If possible I always try to see the menu online before so I can make a thoughtful decision. Here are some suggestions:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/401303-10-ways-to-eat-healthy-at-indian-restaurants/
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    i would try the Paneer options...thats Indian cheese.
    Any of the Lentil dishes should be ok...but you should know they make them with tons of butter so a little wouldnt hurt
    stay away from Naan and the rice ( or just take a little)...if they have Papad/Poppadums...those are good.
    For the veggies...anything thats in a gravy...just fish out the actual veggies...since the gravy has lots of fat in it as well.
    take paper napkins and for anything thats just fried with no gravy...like finger food kinda veggies...you can gently pat them with the paper towel to remove excess grease...lol ive done that.

P.s. ive worked in an Indian restaurant...and..err..dont have too much of the gravies..LOL...thats all im gonna say.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd eat light all day, get a workout in then eat whatever I wanted for 1 meal. I hardly ever eat out so when I do I just enjoy it.
  • SpiritRockBernie
    Options
    eat all the foods you want, just don't eat as much. Plus you can work out a little bit longer to even out the calories. YOu're making me hungry for Indian food!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Loooooots of fresh hot naan, butter chicken and pakora for veggies. Gulab jamun for dessert
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Curry! Curry, curry, curry!!! YUM
  • LittleMissDover
    Options
    Loooooots of fresh hot naan, butter chicken and pakora for veggies. Gulab jamun for dessert

Ooooh that's mean! :tongue:
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Ooooh that's mean! :tongue:

Pssssst! Go ahead and do it! You know you want to! LOL