Tilapia?

Options
Its cheap. Super heatlhy and i eat it a lot! but i am about sick of it..! lol any one have any new ways to make it interesting again? feel free to share please!

Replies

• thebowhunter
    Options
    I love it and eat it all the time. Baked, grilled, etc. Try adding things like salsa or teriyaki sauce. Talapia tacos.Talapia is what you add to it. I have not become sick of it yet.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    It's the perfect consistency and flavor for ceviche.
    It's great smoked for a couple hours over a mesquite or pecan fire.
    Seasoned and pan seared in olive or grapeseed oil (sometimes dredged in a little cornmeal) for tacos.

I usually end up seasoning it and throwing it in a foil packet with some lemon and onions and put it in the oven or on the grill.
  • slamb1020
    slamb1020 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i will def have to try the foil idea.. that would prob work best for my schedule.. about what temp do you cookit on and for how long?
  • bkibbs
    bkibbs Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    George Foreman grill, plain and simple. I try to find different spice blends to top it with to keep me from getting bored with it.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I use parchment paper but foil would be easier! You can add some vegies into the packet (carrots, fennel, snowpeas, super thin discs of potato and any seasoning! I use a bit of low sodium soy, a bit of truffle or garlic oil. The possibilities are endless! And this is nearly foolproof! In parchment paper, put it in a 350 degree oven for about 15 min - not sure if foil is the same temp and time. Yum! Rethinking tonight's dinner.....
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I bake or grill it w/a tsp or so of coconut oil and either some herbs, garlic, or a little bit of parmesean cheese. I love it!
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Marinated in a home made teriyaki sauce, baked and drizzled with a little sriracha, served with stir-fried vegetables
    Seasoned with lemon pepper and ginger, baked

My favorite way is not exactly healthy, but it certainly is a delightful every now-and-then dinner. It's Tilapia with Lemon Cream sauce. I got the recipe from Just Get Off Your Butt and Bake

INGREDIENTS:
    2 Tbsp flour
    1 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning
    1 cup Panko bread Crumbs
    1 egg
    4 tilapia or other white fish fillets
    4 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil for frying

DIRECTIONS:
    On plate, mix flour and seasoning. On second plate, place bread crumbs. In bowl, beat egg with a fork. Coat fish with flour mixture. Dip into egg then coat well with bread crumbs. In a large skillet, heat oil. Add fish fillets, and cook about 3 minutes on one side until golden brown, then flip to other side for about 3 minutes more. Fish should flake easily with a fork. Don’t overcook!

LEMON CREAM SAUCE
    3 Tablespoons butter
    2 Tablespoons flour
    1 1/2 cups milk
    1/4 tsp. onion powder
    1/4 tsp. sugar
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 lemon – squeeze into sauce when done, and stir.

Directions:
    On low heat – Melt butter in saucepan, and quickly stir in flour. Stir until bubbly and creamy.
    Whisk in the milk slowly, and continue whisking so that no lumps are visible.
    On medium heat, continue stirring until sauce has thickened.
    Squeeze in the fresh lemon juice, and stir well.
    (Don’t use bottled lemon juice)
  • cookncrazy
    cookncrazy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like it with lemon, capers, garlic and cayenne.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I have it at a restaurant where it's loaded with crap, and I love it. I buy it frozen at the store and it's got this taste I hate.

*bump*
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Two best ways I've had tilapia-

1. Smoked on the grill.

2. Baked in the oven with some of McCormick's lemon pepper seasoning.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I know this is weird to some but I also make fish tacos/burritos. I get a wrap, throw in some spinach, tomato, black olives, etc. along with the fish kind of shredded up. It's REALLY good!
  • airen123
    Options
    We love ours in Cajun seasoning and dip with nonfat Greek yogurt with dill weed mixed in. I've done fish tacos before too with Chipotle Adobo peppers, and was amazing.
  • Bailey543
    Options
    yum...I was just wondering what to have for dinner tonight. Tilapia it is!!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    tastes like mud and damp basements to me, and I read it's not even that good for you.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options

My favorite way is not exactly healthy, but it certainly is a delightful every now-and-then dinner. It's Tilapia with Lemon Cream sauce. I got the recipe from Just Get Off Your Butt and Bake

INGREDIENTS:
    2 Tbsp flour
    1 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning
    1 cup Panko bread Crumbs
    1 egg
    4 tilapia or other white fish fillets
    4 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil for frying

DIRECTIONS:
    On plate, mix flour and seasoning. On second plate, place bread crumbs. In bowl, beat egg with a fork. Coat fish with flour mixture. Dip into egg then coat well with bread crumbs. In a large skillet, heat oil. Add fish fillets, and cook about 3 minutes on one side until golden brown, then flip to other side for about 3 minutes more. Fish should flake easily with a fork. Don’t overcook!

LEMON CREAM SAUCE
    3 Tablespoons butter
    2 Tablespoons flour
    1 1/2 cups milk
    1/4 tsp. onion powder
    1/4 tsp. sugar
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 lemon – squeeze into sauce when done, and stir.

Directions:
    On low heat – Melt butter in saucepan, and quickly stir in flour. Stir until bubbly and creamy.
    Whisk in the milk slowly, and continue whisking so that no lumps are visible.
    On medium heat, continue stirring until sauce has thickened.
    Squeeze in the fresh lemon juice, and stir well.
    (Don’t use bottled lemon juice)

I made this the other day... AMAZING!! Not as unhealthy as you'd think. It's only 395 calories for 1 4oz fillet and 2 tbsp sauce
  • Taimarra
    Options
    I make it herb crusted with a ton of spinach, super good.

1 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp marjoram leaves (dried)
    3/4 tsp ground mustard
    3/4 tsp basil leaves (also dried)
    3/4 tsp oregano (dried here, too)
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/3 c butter/olive oil (olive oil is way more betterer for you, but butter tastes better)
    1 1/2 c fresh spinach (or more like 3 or 4 cups if you're me)
    3/4 cup panko bread crumbs (I use regular bread crumbs, never liked panko)
    1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper (I usually use a mix of red/yellow/orange just to get some color in the dish, and I use more like 1/2 cup)
    3 Tblsp shredded parmesan
    6 tilapia fillets (about 1.5 lbs -- I use 8 fillets, cuz this is a lot of stuff ... if the fillets are good sized, you're still getting plenty of flavor on them, and distributing out the calories a bit more!)

Sprinkle both sides of the fish with the salt (or a salt substitute could work). Mix butter/oil and all spices in a medium bowl, you WILL want some spare room in this bowl. Brush the bottom side of the fish with the oil, mostly just to season and keep it from sticking. Place it on a cooking pan (I still line mine with foil, otherwise it is not pretty when you try to get the fish off.) Stir the spinach, panko and cheese in to the remaining seasoned oil/butter. Divide evenly and place on top of the fillets. You'll want to press down just a bit to help it adhere to the fish.

Bake it at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. The fish should flake easily with a fork.

I've never been a fan of tilapia until I tried this recipe. Now I absolutely love it.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite ways to have it:
    * Lemon Pepper
    * Cajun seasoning
    * Parmesan and Herbs
    * Grilled and basted with teriyaki or hoisin sauces
    * If you like horseradish, try a horseradish-dill-garlic-lemon sauce (personally I hate horseradish but my mom loooooves this sauce)

Love the idea of making fish tacos with it- I'll have to try that one of these days!
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Baked Tilapia with Avocado & Tomato Recipe

4 tilapia fish fillets (about 5 oz each)
    2 tablespoon(s) olive oil (preferably extra virgin)
    1/4 teaspoon(s) each pepper, garlic powder, dried basil and dried marjoram
    1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
    2 ripe medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
    1 ripe avocado (preferably Haas, the very dark skinned variety), peeled and diced

Heat oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil (for easy cleanup).
    Brush both sides of fish with 1 Tbsp oil; place on lined pan. Sprinkle fish with 1/8 tsp pepper, the garlic powder, basil and marjoram and 1/4 tsp salt.
    Bake 7 to 10 minutes or until fish is just barely opaque at center.
    Meanwhile put tomato and avocado into a medium bowl, add remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Toss to mix and coat.
    Serve over the fish.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I usually eat salmon.

spice it up with different spices.... do a parm crust on it. throw some seasoning and panko on it. put it in fish tacos. use it on a salad.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Options
    I make it with either lemon pepper or Cajan seasoning.