Just out of interest...

Options
Is it better to have one 'cheat' day every once in a while, or have a little treat every day?

I have always wondered this...

Take it to the extreme, is it better to pig out on choccy once a month, or eat that choccy throughout the month even though its considered too much for you?

I wondered this when i was not making a concerted effort and i thought you guys would probably know the answer!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    for me? A little chocolate throughout the month seems better. I eat something like that most days.

For me a pig out doesn't lead to good things.:smile:

I eat pizza when I want it. And potstickers.
    But not a whole pizza (hopefully)

Those are my two foods where some can become too much if I'm not careful!
  • uclown2002
    uclown2002 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference. Weight loss = calories burned - calories consumed. It is not linear and the clock doesn't reset each day.
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Really it depends on the person. I've gone both ways. Currently, I'm eating little to no products with added sugar in them during the week, and have Sunday as my "fun day," where I can eat what I want w/in reason. I've set my calories for the week on a cycle, and if I eat all of them I'll average between 1500-1550 per day. So, I get my treats on sunday. But, if I must have one durring the week, I just build it into my plan with no guilt. Sometimes a girl has to do what a girl has to do!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Since I'm eating foods that I love, I don't really have any "cheats". I don't eat grain or legumes no matter what; cheating just isn't an option for my health. The closest thing I come to a "cheat" is Miss Vickies plain chips. I only have 28 grams at a time and not every day. It always fits in my macros, especially after fibre is deducted from my carb total. On rare occasion, I have dark chocolate too, but since I usually choose 90%, if I can get it, so it has very little sugar.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Approach it as a permanent change in lifestyle. There are going to be times you don't eat perfectly, or have something you enjoy. It's the big picture that matters. Just make sure you measure accurately and enter everything you eat. MFP makes it simple.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    It was a general question rather than anything to do with my diet or anyone else's

I have changed how i think about food overall, so i am not worried if i have a coffee or a cake or something every once in a while, its not having these things the majority of the time that will make a difference.

I was hoping someone would say something scientific that would show one as being better for the body than t'other...

rather than it being about peoples specific circumstances :)
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Me, I need to know that I can have a little treat every day (I don't want to call it 'cheat' as I don't feel I'm cheating).

My addiction is to Haribo, not chocolate, and I always have a bag of gummi bears at home. I am allowing myself up to 15 pieces each day. If I didn't do that and forbade myself gummi bears altogether, I would binge on them.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Me, I need to know that I can have a little treat every day (I don't want to call it 'cheat' as I don't feel I'm cheating).

My addiction is to Haribo, not chocolate, and I always have a bag of gummi bears at home. I am allowing myself up to 15 pieces each day. If I didn't do that and forbade myself gummi bears altogether, I would binge on them.

I love gummi bears :smile: