Is 1200 cals per day reasonable

Options
Hi all

Just after some advice. Im starting day one tomorrow and my target would be to lose 70 pounds and i am aiming for 1200 cals per day does this sound about right please

Replies

• eve1980
    eve1980 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was advised to take in about 1200 a day by a trainer. I think your age and/or weight has something to do with it. There are calculators that can give you an idea of how much you should have. You'll have to google it.
  • ktweld
    ktweld Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That is what the calculator recommended for me but I see myself actually doing about 1500 day. Today was my day one.
  • julieannroach
    Options
    Thanks guys
  • Leeannboswell
    Options
    Yup, check out my food diary. Been doing it for 7 months, lost 58 lbs. More to go, but I do not eat wheat, which is a huge factor in my success! Without wheat, you do not crave sweets, bread, pasta, rice, etc. Go figure! It's miraculous. I eat so many vegetables, I will probably sprout leaves.

Best of luck, LeeAnn
  • sonnet2
    Options
    1200 calories is what this website recommends,but you don't rea;ize how little food that is.it's depressing.however you will lose weight doing this
  • queenofgracey
    Options
    I TRY to do 1200 calories a day. Some days I make it and others I am under it. I have no problem with 1200 calories a day. If you choice the RIGHT foods, it is Plenty!!! I started out weighing 220lbs (this is before I started MFP) and I am now 178lbs, so I would say that 1200 calories is working well!!! Good Luck on your journey and have a Blessed day!!!!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You should estimate your TDEE and take the appropriate deficit from that. The deficit you establish depends on how much weight you have to lose. At a 75 lb weight loss goal, then 2 lbs per week is fine for you (1000 calorie deficit). Just realize that as your weight decreases, you must shrink the deficit by either upping calories and/or reducing exercise activity - preferably upping calories mostly.