Workout advice

Options
I'm looking for advice from the people who have been there, made the big weight loss and trimmed up. I'm looking for the transition point and the do's and dont's (i've read the starters guide so im after opinions over and above that please)

I need to lose 50-70lbs. At the moment i'm only training cardio and calorie counting to lose the weight. I know people say diet only and weight lift but if i got down to a 30lb loss and then did the diet only with weights would this help achieve the goal quicker or am i cheating myself? I dont want my cardio only regime to cause me to lose muscle but at the moment its helping me get some stamina i have never had and its giving me real focus. I used to get out of breath walking up stairs but now im finding i dont and its making me feel alot better. I also dont want the saggy skin though so i want to get the mix right.

Dont get me wrong i'm not interested in a super 6-pack but i'd like some definition

Whats a good mix? should i do cardio up to a point and then let the diet slowly do the rest whilst i build the muscle or should i work on building the muscle now and restrict my cardio?

Replies

• runningfromzombies
    Options
    Build muscle now! No point in waiting. That way you'll preserve the lean muscle mass you have while losing fat (as long as you're eating a good amount of protein), and the muscles will show through sooner.

Keep it simple: do cardio 3-4 days per week (stamina is definitely a good thing to develop), and weight training 2-3 days per week, alternating cardio and lifting days. For weight lifting, keep it simple, too; do big compound exercises (like squats, deadlifts, rows, presses) rather than isolation exercises.

Hope that helps!
  • EugeneUK
    Options
    One of the guys at Uni who happens to be in my group gives me advice all the time (he's a legend at the gym, been at it for over 6 years). Here's some tips he gave me:

1) Since you're overweight it will be easier to build up muscle as you have the "larger" shape so start doing strength exercises on top of cardio.
    Important points about beginning strength training:
    2) Always do weights with one day rest, never do weights two days in a row. This allows time for muscle and body recovery.
    3) Do overall weights during the session, don't listen to the guys that blabber on about "today is leg day, tomorrow is shoulder day etc." There's no benefit to this whatsoever. Start up on shoulder and move down to the core (those pacs!)
    4) Take loads of protein, up to 80g a day as this helps build up muscle. Protein shakes are awesome. I've been on diet protein shake (chocolate mint) for a week now, will post results later. I can link you to the one I take if you want.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    yes please link the one you take. Do you do cardio on the same day as weight? the issue i'll have is that when im not working away from home i only get 3 evenings in the gym (we have 2 kids so its not fair if i go every night). These 3 nights are usually a tuesday, thursday and sunday. If i could do cardio and weights then that'd be fine but if people recommend either one or the other then i'll be stuck! (unless i did one of those DVD workouts in between, are they any good for cardio?)

Help appreciated.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    1) Maintain a healthy deficit with good macros. Can be done with diet only, or diet + exercise.
    2) Lift heavy. This will help prevent muscle loss as you lose weight. It'll also mean you'll look better as you get leaner. I'm a big believer in any of the compound lift routines (strong lifts, starting strength, etc).
    3) Cardio - lots of health benefits, feel free to do it if you enjoy it, but don't feel like you HAVE to.

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I've read that it's easier to get a nice body composition by starting to lift when you`re overweight vs when you`re 'skinny fat', which is what just cardio + deficit is likely to make you (did me).
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    One of the guys at Uni who happens to be in my group gives me advice all the time (he's a legend at the gym, been at it for over 6 years). Here's some tips he gave me:

1) Since you're overweight it will be easier to build up muscle as you have the "larger" shape so start doing strength exercises on top of cardio.
    Important points about beginning strength training:
    2) Always do weights with one day rest, never do weights two days in a row. This allows time for muscle and body recovery.
    3) Do overall weights during the session, don't listen to the guys that blabber on about "today is leg day, tomorrow is shoulder day etc." There's no benefit to this whatsoever. Start up on shoulder and move down to the core (those pacs!)
    4) Take loads of protein, up to 80g a day as this helps build up muscle. Protein shakes are awesome. I've been on diet protein shake (chocolate mint) for a week now, will post results later. I can link you to the one I take if you want.

While the spirit of this is good, I don't agree with most of the actual recommendations, at least as far as blanket statements like this.

1) What does his shape/weight have to do with his ability to lift and do cardio?
    2) Depending on his routine and his ability to recover, he can do weights on consecutive days. Lots of people do. Though, as a general rule, beginners probably shouldn't.
    3) There are lots of benefits to it depending on your goals, schedule, etc etc.
    4) Yes, but 80g is probably on the low side for many people.

• bufger
    Options
    So as a gauge then if this were my routine would this be good to get on with?

Monday - Cardio/Fitness DVD or cycling.
    Tuesday - GYM day: 20 minute cardio warmup with heavy weights. Eat 100g-130g of protein
    Wednesday - Cardio at home
    Thursday - GYM day: 20 minute cardio warmup with heavy weights. Eat 100g-130g of protein
    Friday - Cardio at home
    Saturday - Rest day
    Sunday - GYM day: 20 minute cardio warmup with heavy weights. Eat 100g-130g of protein

Or would you recommend the protein all the time?

As i mentioned earlier. My biggest issue is that i cant do the gym more that 3 days a week as thats what i've agreed with my wife. Otherwise its unfair on her and she'd have to sacrifice her classes that she does 3 days a week. The 7th day we have date night so we wont sacrifice that (although there are no longer food treats on date night!)

I can probably get away with doing 30 mins of cardio at home. I have a punchbag and a skipping rope or i could do something like the 30 day shred?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    So as a gauge then if this were my routine would this be good to get on with?

Monday - Cardio/Fitness DVD or cycling.
    Tuesday - GYM day: 20 minute cardio warmup with heavy weights. Eat 100g-130g of protein
    Wednesday - Cardio at home
    Thursday - GYM day: 20 minute cardio warmup with heavy weights. Eat 100g-130g of protein
    Friday - Cardio at home
    Saturday - Rest day
    Sunday - GYM day: 20 minute cardio warmup with heavy weights. Eat 100g-130g of protein

Or would you recommend the protein all the time?

As i mentioned earlier. My biggest issue is that i cant do the gym more that 3 days a week as thats what i've agreed with my wife. Otherwise its unfair on her and she'd have to sacrifice her classes that she does 3 days a week. The 7th day we have date night so we wont sacrifice that (although there are no longer food treats on date night!)

I can probably get away with doing 30 mins of cardio at home. I have a punchbag and a skipping rope or i could do something like the 30 day shred?

I think that sounds awesome. You get in your days, she gets in her days, and you get a date night??? Perfect!

Personally, I'd keep protein high on all days.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 50-70lbs. I dont want my cardio only regime to cause me to lose muscle but at the moment its helping me get some stamina i have never had and its giving me real focus.
    I think the benefits of cardio are often overlooked. Sure it burns calories but more importantly it strengthens your heart and lungs and helps you to carry on longer in the exercises you love to do. Plus it has tons of other health benefits. Don't slack off on cardio

Whats a good mix? should i do cardio up to a point and then let the diet slowly do the rest whilst i build the muscle or should i work on building the muscle now and restrict my cardio?
    I think you should do both if you're up to the challenge. Have both cardio and strength training in your diet. Either split your cardio/strength into different sessions ( I do morning and evening) or if you have limited time in the gym do cardio after strength training in the same time frame. Get all your lifting in and then go do some cardio to polish it off.

Focus mostly on heavy compound lifts that work several muscles at once. Add in some isolation reps if you like but make sure and work those bigger muscles first. Limit your cardio sessions to 30-45 minutes. Hours of cardio a day is counter-productive to muscle development. Eat a high protein diet that puts you at least 1 gram per pound of lean body mass per day. If you're 250 and 30% body fat then eat 175 grams of protein per day. It won't hurt to just do 1 gram per pound of total body weight but the former is a good idea to start with.

Of course with all of this you're looking to cut the body fat down. You'll need to maintain a slight calorie deficit so don't expect huge muscle gains but you're going to love the results. The best way to look like you put on 10 pounds of muscle is to drop 20 pounds of body fat. Just keep your protein high, keep lifting heavy weights and your body will get the signal to hold onto as much muscle as possible.
    As i mentioned earlier. My biggest issue is that i cant do the gym more that 3 days a week as thats what i've agreed with my wife. Otherwise its unfair on her and she'd have to sacrifice her classes that she does 3 days a week.
    I try to limit my time at the gym too so I fit all my cardio into morning sessions. I get up an hour earlier than I need to for work and run/walk. Surely there's a road right outside of your front door. You don't need to go anywhere. Step outside and you're in cardio land.
  • bufger
    Options
    Thats some absolutely excellent advice guys i feel much better about this now. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me :)
  • clijun
    clijun Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    ok well i dont know the specifics of it. but do know i personally cannot afford a gym membership so im sol there. i manage to workout 7 days a week though i do cardio all 7 days and a type of strength training every other day. for my stamina it has worked wonders. the strength training i do is tied in with one of my cardio routines as tae bo with resistance bands or had weights. this works for me as many of my goals are speed related. i want to loose weight but i want to be faster not necessarily stronger. i have heard for maintaining muscle mass weight / 2 = min. grams of protein per day.

as i said this is working for me take that for what its worth if something else works for you then keep it up. best of luck but my biggest advise. find a way to have fun with it.
  • EugeneUK
    Options
    yes please link the one you take. Do you do cardio on the same day as weight? the issue i'll have is that when im not working away from home i only get 3 evenings in the gym (we have 2 kids so its not fair if i go every night). These 3 nights are usually a tuesday, thursday and sunday. If i could do cardio and weights then that'd be fine but if people recommend either one or the other then i'll be stuck! (unless i did one of those DVD workouts in between, are they any good for cardio?)

Help appreciated.

I've sent you the link via PM, not sure advertising is allowed on the public forums :)

I do cardio on all days so yes, first cardio to get my heart pumping (and shred those calories) then weights. Followed by a nice cooldown jog.