ATTENTION: successful weight loss people!

Options
I have been fat my whole life. I was a chubby baby, a chunky toddler, a fat school girl and an obese adult. All my life I have read success stories about people who worked hard and got the weight off. You know how it is, we hear these stories everywhere; magazines, weight loss programs, talk shows, weight loss books–miraculous success stories about regular people who were just sick and tired of being overweight.

As I observed these stories I always wished I could be one of those people. It's all ever wanted–to be thin, all I ever think about, dream about, fantasize about. But despite all the aspirations, somewhere in the back of my mind, I didn't really believe I would ever be successful–that I would NEVER be thin. That probably stems from all the "diet" failures. After 40 years of diets with no lasting results your mind just tend to wrap itself around the fact that it was NEVER really possible.

But recently, very recently in fact, I finally felt IT. That switch–that trigger–that overwhelming sense in the deepest core of my soul that told me, "This time it's going to happen. You're going to be successful this time." It's a sensation that I have never experienced before. And I wonder, is that the same experience all you successful weight loss people had? Did you know when you started this journey that this time was different? And maybe that's just it. I've always heard it said that once you make up your mind that you really want it and being fat isn't working for you anymore, that you can do anything.

In a few months, look for my before and after pictures on this chat forum. Because THIS TIME it's going to happen for me too.

Replies

• Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    woot that's the way to go get em'!!! :) I've made a lifestyle change this time around instead of just putting another band aid on the weight issues!! Feels good doesn't it!!!
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm here for the updates! Wahoo! you can do it!
  • Goatgirl8
    Goatgirl8 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Girrlll.. It feels sooooo good!
  • stephanie1133
    Options
    I think the trick is to keep making that decision every single day. And to realize that 1 (or 15) bad days doesn't ruin anything. It's commitment! And you've taken the biggest step. . . the first one! Congratulations on deciding to take control and change your life!
  • monicalord
    monicalord Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    That's the attitude!! You got this!
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    What a great attitude! I know exactly what you're saying because I have said the same thing. Something inside just clicks and you know this is the beginning of the end of being fat. I look forward to seeing those before and after pictures. Good luck in your journey
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Hey I know your frustrations.

You can friend me if you want, and I can try and help as much as possible.

It is a long road ahead, and only time and consistency will get you what you want :)

Good luck!
  • happypath101
    Options
    Yup! And, I've been in maintenance for about six years. Every time I gain a little weight and I start focussing on taking it off again, it takes a ittle time to ramp back into that weight loss mode. Each time I do, I recognize a moment where I'm "in the groove" and I know it's coming off.
  • karenbethrn
    karenbethrn Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I totally KNOW what you mean! I don't know what happened this time. I just started on mfp almost 2 weeks ago and when I did I just knew it is gonna happen. My husband just looked at me funny in the beginning. I mean business. I know it will be a long road but im so ready to make it happen! All the other times, I'd start, know I could lose a few pounds and fall right back off the wagon. Hubby is my weakness as he likes to make me feel better with food. Let me tell you, it feels SO GOOD to be able to tell him no to comfort food! I did have a bad day yesterday but I made this pact with myself knowing that slip-ups are not gonna make me quit. The next day is a new day and thats that. Changes are in my future. GOOD ONES!

Here's to being healthy! I can't wait to see your after pictures!
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Great attitude! You've come to the right place, that's for sure!
  • lasooch
    Options
    I started changing my lifestyle gradually. First I discarded all sweetened drinks (drinking only water and occasionally alcohol). Then I started to move a little. Then I started to move MORE (I did 3000 km on my bike this year, which is quite a lot for an amateur, I guess). Recently I started really counting calories, cause it's getting cold and I won't be able to bike anymore.

The "THIS IS IT, IT'S GONNA HAPPEN" didn't kick in until I got into biking really seriously. I had a few weeks when I was biking 3 times a week, doing 80-100 km every time.

Don't buy into fad diets. That **** doesn't work. Just count your calories and track your macros - and do cardio. Just keep a deficit. Around 500 kcal of deficit is perfect.

Signed, recovering fattie (progressed from 108 kg to 95 kg so far, 184 cm tall).
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I have to say I fought the diet yo-yo almost my entire life...it wasn't until I was almost 38 that I realized if I didn't figure it out and take control then...what would happen after 40?????

I took CONTROL, I became obsessed with being healthy even....It became the most important thing in my life (okay other things were important, but...you know what I mean).

I lost 35 lbs in 6 months and kept it off over 4 years, yes I put a little bit of it back on last year, but there were A LOT of extenuating circumstances...son leaves home, we sold our house, I quit my job, we moved to another state, I got a new job, we decided to build a house, our lease was up before our house was finished, we were in a hotel for a few months, did I mention I changed jobs again? and was left stranded working everyday from the hotel (and I don't mean a nice 4 or 5 star hotel with gym and pool...it had neither; it was a rat hole), our cat of 20 years died....need I go on? :happy: I survived.....

Anyway, we're settled in the new house now and the weight is coming back off...only 4 lbs to go; I have no intention of allowing it to come back either. :noway:
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Positive attitudes make weight loss success. Keep up the good work. You can do this. Bless you
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Pretty much happened to me the same way. I was on the verge of having to go up another size in my shirts right around Christmas so I decided it was time to readjust my life and diet, so I set my new years resolution to lose 100lbs. At the time I never actually figured I'd accomplish that since in the past I never followed through but seeing the weight keep coming off, it kept making me want to lose more and more and earlier this month I actually hit 100lbs and it was the best feeling ever, and made me want to keep going
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have been fat my whole life. I was a chubby baby, a chunky toddler, a fat school girl and an obese adult. All my life I have read success stories about people who worked hard and got the weight off. You know how it is, we hear these stories everywhere; magazines, weight loss programs, talk shows, weight loss books–miraculous success stories about regular people who were just sick and tired of being overweight.

As I observed these stories I always wished I could be one of those people. It's all ever wanted–to be thin, all I ever think about, dream about, fantasize about. But despite all the aspirations, somewhere in the back of my mind, I didn't really believe I would ever be successful–that I would NEVER be thin. That probably stems from all the "diet" failures. After 40 years of diets with no lasting results your mind just tend to wrap itself around the fact that it was NEVER really possible.

But recently, very recently in fact, I finally felt IT. That switch–that trigger–that overwhelming sense in the deepest core of my soul that told me, "This time it's going to happen. You're going to be successful this time." It's a sensation that I have never experienced before. And I wonder, is that the same experience all you successful weight loss people had? Did you know when you started this journey that this time was different? And maybe that's just it. I've always heard it said that once you make up your mind that you really want it and being fat isn't working for you anymore, that you can do anything.

In a few months, look for my before and after pictures on this chat forum. Because THIS TIME it's going to happen for me too.

Wow!! I could have written this myself. It happened for me 1 week before I turned 45. Can't wait to see your before and after!!

We're gonna finish this...
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Oh yes..I totally can relate! It "clicked" for me back in 2006 when I said...enough is enough. I was going to a birthday dinner and I was squeezing into a tight skirt that was too small. I looked at the pics from that party and said...I need to do this for me. So I got serious and lost 65 pounds. Since then, I've gained some of it back...but I'm back at it again to get to goal weight...no matter what! And I know you will do the same.

I don't quote celebrities too often, but Oprah made a statement that stuck with me for years. Losing weight is a choice. When you decide that you had enough, and choose to lose weight...no matter what...then you will lose weight!

Best wishes and feel free to add me...I too will be on this journey with you :) Cheers to healthy living!
  • buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    That is what happened to me, too. I've been up and down (while still overweight/obese) since I was a kid. This time just felt different. The most I'd lost before is 35 lbs, and I definitely gained more than that back. Not gaining just feels easier now. It's a mental thing and always was. The failed attempts in the past are just because we weren't ready. I weigh less now than I ever thought I'd even want to.
  • brendacooks
    brendacooks Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You know, I've been trying to figure out why the click happened this time - haven't quite figured it out but something really is different now. I too was obese for a long, long time - and now I'm not! I have been at this weight loss thing for a year and I still have a ways to go but I have really changed - and not just on the outside. I do sometimes feel discouraged because I am impatient to be at my goal weight but I have never once - NOT EVEN ONCE- considered giving up and going back to my old ways. I have a new life - a life that is about being healthy and I really, really like it.You can change your life. If I can, anyone can!

11672710.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • KeegansMomma
    Options
    I'm currently on my journey to the lifestyle change. And my trigger really clicked the end of July when we lost a very dear great uncle (on my mom's side) at 58 years old due to cancer that they caught WAY too late. That got me thinking that I need to change myself...change my life. I have an (almost) 5 year old son. He is and will be my only child. And I want to be here to see him graduate high school, graduate college, get married, and have kids of his own. The only thing I really need to do in this journey is go see my doctor, update my family history with him (losing this uncle to cancer reminded me that my great aunt on my mom's side battled breast cancer about 15 years ago and is alive today thank goodness), and actually have all the tests done he wanted done a couple years ago (blood draws to test glucose, cholesterol, etc).

Feel free to add me as a friend! :)
  • lasooch
    Options
    Wow, buckeye86, those are some great progress pictures. Congratulations!

Also, I don't mean to discourage any of you, it's just something I've noticed - all of you seem much older than me (I'm 21). It makes me so glad that I made this decision now and now 20 years later.

Never too late, though!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!