Diet Dr. Pepper, Crystal Light & Water

Options
I am very proud that I am drinking a lot of water. And I really truly love me a Diet Dr Pepper. I am trying to stop drinking pop. I occasionally do have one though. My question is, is Crystal Light ok? I just want to have a good flavored drink occasionally and I am NOT talking lemon water. Thoughts?

Replies

• nancik81
    Options
    I see no problem with crystal light to a point. I am sensitive to aspertame so I have to watch how much I drink. I agree water gets boring and I too am trying to give up sodas. Hard to do...
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely fine to drink crystal light and diet soda's in moderation (1-3/day) IMO.

I'm a toxicologist and a resident of planet reality, and if you like them, there's no real reason to stop drinking them.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    what he said.
  • Girl_Bomb
    Options
    One of the biggest things I did was cut aspartame out of my diet, if I want pop I will have the occasional full calorie ginger ale, I also drink a Ton of low sodium club soda, sometimes I'll mix a little bit of 100% real fruit juice with it. Crystal light, fake sugar so I stay away.
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    Good for you that's wonderful! Crystal Light in moderation I think is OK, I've cut out all artificial sweeteners so personally I only drink water and unsweetened iced tea (and coffee on the wkends!). Artificial sweeteners aren't the best for you, but on occassion I think you'd be just fine my dear! As for the Diet Dr. Pepper, Dr. Pepper products are the most tooth staining sodas on the market, and even though they're diet, the acid in them is also bad for your teeth (I'm a dental nerd!) so I'm glad you've really cut back on it. You're doing wonderful!!!! :drinker:
  • gingbean
    gingbean Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I say NO! Aspartame is NOT a friendly fake sugar. If you're going to drink a soda, drink it with real sugar instead of fake sugar (like the throwback drinks). Then again, I am also against reduced-fat, reduced-calorie, etc foods like "fat free sour cream" and others. If you need a flavored drink with no calories, get some peppermint or other flavored tea and sweeten it with liquid stevia.
  • cbormac
    Options
    I absolutely love diet dr pepper and drink it all the time... I just spoke to my dr about crystal light yesterday... He said its great and a nice alternative... Water is best but if you want to add flavor crystal light is the way to go... Especially if you are diabetic...

I also find the Diet Dr Pepper is the best of all diet sodas... Just my opinion
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    That's how I get all my water down. And I love Diet Dr. Pepper too!
  • tom_olech
    tom_olech Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Personally, i try to stay away from aspratame just because its not natural....sugar is, so occasionally i will drink juice or regular dr pepper (1-2 times a week). Other than that, water and milk for me :)
  • gingbean
    gingbean Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Actually, for every soda you drink, you need to drink an EXTRA water. Soda does NOT count as water. Soda DEHYDRATES you.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any negative reactions to aspartame it's fine to consume in moderation. It's two amino acids (phenylalanine and aspartic acid) and methanol is a digestive byproduct.

Chicken and fruit also have the above items.

If it gives you headaches, steer clear of it. Otherwise you really have no reason to avoid it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Actually, for every soda you drink, you need to drink an EXTRA water. Soda does NOT count as water. Soda DEHYDRATES you.

Soda does not dehydrate you.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options

^^ This.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any negative reactions to aspartame it's fine to consume in moderation. It's two amino acids (phenylalanine and aspartic acid) and methanol is a digestive byproduct.

Chicken and fruit also have the above items.

If it gives you headaches, steer clear of it. Otherwise you really have no reason to avoid it.

^^ What he said.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

Huh? Evidence?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

^^ This.

^^ Soda is hydrating. Even energy drinks don't have enough caffeine to act as a diuertic.

I spent nearly 2 years drinking soda exclusively. By that logic, I should have turned to dust.
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options

^^ This.

^^ Soda is hydrating. Even energy drinks don't have enough caffeine to act as a diuertic.

I spent nearly 2 years drinking soda exclusively. By that logic, I should have turned to dust.

Methinks our well-intentioned yet miss-informed contributor is talking about soft drinks that are loaded with sodium (and caffeine) perhaps? I really like diet Dr. Pepper, I LOVE diet Cherry Dr. Pepper!! Polar brand diet Orange Dry is the best, also.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    other than soft drinks aren't loaded with sodium.