High Calorie/Low Carb Foods

Options
I am having trouble reaching my calorie goals but I feel like my carbs are always high. Any recommendations?

Replies

• gaston84
    gaston84 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    if you eat a lot of bread cut that as its full of carbs, i am in the process of cutting carbs as my diet was 90% carbs, im now down to a max of 50% carbs a day. i have cheese one a week as i like it and have totally cut bread out.

Also certain cereals, potatoes, pasta, rice limit all this and watch you carbs drop.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Fill up on peanut butter and nuts,
    Eat more salads with lots of protein in them....its filling and you can have HUGE salads but they dont break the carb counter.
    if youre eating something carby, eat an equal amount of protein..that will fill you up sooner...and keep you full longer.
    spritz olive oil on your salads...its good fat...calories add up!

i noticed some carbs are from fruits and veggies in your diary...those are good for you...so dont worry too much about that count.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Yea! I love the "eat more nuts" diet! :smokin:

Proteins, such as chicken, fish and beef are good high calorie, low carb foods (and nuts, too).
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Calories come from either protein, fat or carbs. If you want low carb, then look for high protein or fat. So, meats and fish, cheese, eggs, nuts. Peant butter!

But per your diary, you are always well under the carb target? Do you have a different figure you're working with?
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    cheese and nuts.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I love to get the majority of my calories from FATS...so one thing I do is add a spoonful of coconut oil to my coffee in the morning. It makes the coffee very rich tasting ...so yummy, I also add heavy whipping cream (not whipped though) instead of half n half. All great fats in one cup! :bigsmile:
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Avocado!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    fat
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    fat

I'll have one fat please

Yes to go
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    FAT!!

Nuts
    Nut butters (almond, peanut, hazelnut)
    Coconut anything (oil, cream, milk, actual coconut)
    Avocado
    Salmon
    Eggs
    Butter
    Olive Oil
    Olives

edit - yep - looking at your diary you can up your fat and protein to make up those calories .... my diary is open if you want to see an example - I have a target of 1900 calories a day - and easily meet them every day without pigging out (my carbs are around 110 - 130 most days....)
  • squirmmonster
    squirmmonster Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    fat

While this may seem flippant, are you getting enough healthy fat? Fat creates a feeling of satiation when you eat it, and is harder to break down, so it slows digestion of foods that might digest quickly. Less is more sometimes, it's not always about volume.
  • Jymm
    Jymm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Salads are a great way to lower your carb intake. And you can put almost any kind of meat on them you can think of (beef, chicken, pork) just use your imagination. Cutting out bread and pasta is easy if you eat more veggitables. The vitamins minerals and fiber will be alot better for you than the starch and preservitives you'll get by eating bread.
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to stay away from "diet" foods......they are usually higher in carbs.Instead, go with the full fat version of things like ranch dressing,cream cheese,etc......there's already been a lot of great suggestions!
  • squirmmonster
    squirmmonster Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Looking through a few days of your food diary, I would suggest, since you like almond milk, get off of almond breeze, and switch to unsweetened almond milk. Also, you eat a lot of chicken. Switch to thighs instead of breasts. It'll be easier on your pocketbook, too. Chicken thighs are crazy cheap as far as meat goes. :)
  • Matt0219
    Options
    I have been on a low carb diet for a few months now. I have significantly lowered my carbs. However I need to up my calories. This is where I could use and would appreciate any advice. What are some foods that are high in calories but low in carbos?

Matt
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    ALMOND BUTTER!! It is the most delicious creation... EVER. :love:
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    if you eat a lot of bread cut that as its full of carbs, i am in the process of cutting carbs as my diet was 90% carbs, im now down to a max of 50% carbs a day. i have cheese one a week as i like it and have totally cut bread out.

Also certain cereals, potatoes, pasta, rice limit all this and watch you carbs drop.

90% carbs? I hope you were exaggerating...
  • kesciamuhammad
    kesciamuhammad Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Full fat yogurt has 9-10% fat and about 5 g of carbs. The Greek Gods variety tastes great, I even use it as a sour cream replacement.