Small Rage Post ^^;

Options
13»

Replies

• pattyblair51
    Options
    I am just thankful I have lost the weight I have using this site. There are much bigger things in my life than miscalculating by a few calories or tenths of a carb. And I have started eating healthier which is my goal. :smile:
  • brianchi
    brianchi Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    What eggactly are we talking about? I don't want to egg anyone on here, so let's just look at the sunny side. Finding out the eggxact nutrition is never going to be over easy. But I feel like I am walking on egg shells trying to scramble my thoughts and not offend anyone.

I'm just trying to say don't put all your eggs in one basket when it comes to confirmations. There are some real eggheads out there that will poach all the information. In fact, some of the information is pretty rotten.

So I'm just trying to say don't count your chickens before they hatch and try not to get hard boiled over little things.

At first I was a little upset, but omellette this one go. Ok this is a bad yolk, but give me a break, my brain is fried!
  • athlonx264
    Options
    What eggactly are we talking about? I don't want to egg anyone on here, so let's just look at the sunny side. Finding out the eggxact nutrition is never going to be over easy. But I feel like I am walking on egg shells trying to scramble my thoughts and not offend anyone.

I'm just trying to say don't put all your eggs in one basket when it comes to confirmations. There are some real eggheads out there that will poach all the information. In fact, some of the information is pretty rotten.

So I'm just trying to say don't count your chickens before they hatch and try not to get hard boiled over little things.

At first I was a little upset, but omellette this one go. Ok this is a bad yolk, but give me a break, my brain is fried!

Okay I totally lol'd XD
  • athlonx264
    Options
    Never the less we are talking about a 1 large egg here and even if it has .6 carbs its still incorrect to show 1 whole carb.
    No, actually. Mathmatically, 0.6 is rounded up to 1. So it is correct.

I just don't understand wjhy you're so bothered by something so petty. Pick the egg selection you like and use it. When I looked through the database, I found no less than 5 egg listings with 70 cal and 0 carbs.

If we're going to get into petty things here..... you misspelled mathematically.
    Well then... I also mispelled why.

You're correct, but I left that alone because it's on obvious typo. I believe that you know "why" doesn't contain a "j" but I don't believe you knew that "mathematically" contained an "e."

That's all.
    Wow! You can believe what you want. Personally I don't care if you think I can spell mathEmatically or not. They actually were both obvious typos. But I can see why you would have trouble telling the difference while being so petty.

Wait I thought I was the one who was petty? :ohwell:
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I agree with the fact this site is free, and people are seeing results!!! I eat healthy, so the calories don't have to be exact!!!!
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Same when it says 0 calories...it is 0 calories PER SERVING. Doesn't mean if you have 2 or more servings it is still 0 calories. FDA only requires it to be listed if it is above a certain amount, again, per serving.

And I believe they're allowed to be "off" by as much as 20%. Scary.

Yeah, I'm not sure if it is 20%, but they can be off on everything listed. They have to be in a certain margin of error and they are good to go. Which is why, in my opinion, it is better to eat as clean as you can. Processed food can say 100 calories per serving but what if it is really 120? Might not matter on that level but add that up in a day you could be eating 2000 calories when you think you are eating 1600.

The Third Group nutrients include calories, sugars, total fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium. However, for products (e.g., fruit drinks, juices, and confectioneries) with a sugars content of 90 percent or more of total carbohydrate, to prevent labeling anomalies due in part to rounding, FDA treats total carbohydrate as a Third Group nutrient instead of a Class II nutrient. For foods with label declarations of Third Group nutrients, the ratio between the amount obtained by laboratory analysis and the amount declared on the product label in the Nutrition Facts panel must be 120% or less, i.e., the label is considered to be out of compliance if the nutrient content of a composite of the product is greater than 20% above the value declared on the label. For example, if a laboratory analysis found 8 g of total fat/serving in a product that stated that it contained 6 g of total fat/serving, the ratio between the laboratory value and the label value would be (8 / 6) x 100 = 133%, and the product label would be considered to be out of compliance.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/GuidanceDocuments/FoodLabelingNutrition/ucm063113.htm

nothing against you..but I have to be right! All the time! :P

LOL I was not disagreeing with you. I just said I didn't know personally if it was 20%. I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing, I truly didn't know what the % was.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I scan the barcode on my foods with my smart phone and that goes right into MFP for me. When I scan my eggs (Cherry Lane, extra large egg) it comes up with 80 calories, 1 carb. I didn't input that myself, it is what the barcode said, which I would guess is tied right to the real nutritional value.

I try to scan all my "packaged" foods. Everything that has a barcode, I haven't come across anything so far that hasn't been found doing this method.

The only items I have found that don't come up is some of my wine and liquor... :drinker:

I tried a local beer last night and it came up. :drinker too:. And does that mean you don't have to count them? ;)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is when folks ADD something to the database with just the calories. No protein, fiber, carbs... Just calories.
    Try tracking potassium. ;)
    I've had to add or edit most entries I use...
  • athlonx264
    Options
    My pet peeve is when folks ADD something to the database with just the calories. No protein, fiber, carbs... Just calories.

Wow, yeah that def seems like a huge pain. I tip my hat to you sir!
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I agree, wish I could delete useless entries like those
  • vabchloser
    vabchloser Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Eat Egg Beaters!! :) (I know, I know...not just eggs!!)
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Never the less we are talking about a 1 large egg here and even if it has .6 carbs its still incorrect to show 1 whole carb.

And it clearly states <0,6 carbs, As a nutritionist, that equals the same as 0 carbs. And yes ma'am, 1 large egg has only 70 calories. Eggs are a great source of protein and the cholesterol in eggs is not as harmful as once believed. Enjoy eggs three + times a week and have a healthy life!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Except that im not just talking about eggs here, I may have used an egg as an example because it just happened to be the straw that broke the camels back but there are several discrepancies in many of the foods that just shouldnt be there. It IS irratating to have to scroll through the same food several times to find the one that's correct. By the way I eat less than 20 carbs per day and I use every one of them, a .4 difference in such a low carb count is a difference.

EDIT: Again, wasnt trying to be rude just wanted to rage -_-

If it's such a bother, just enter the food yourself. That's what I do when I find something that doesn't mesh with the info I have.
  • Chopper88
    Options
    Except that im not just talking about eggs here, I may have used an egg as an example because it just happened to be the straw that broke the camels back but there are several discrepancies in many of the foods that just shouldnt be there. It IS irratating to have to scroll through the same food several times to find the one that's correct. By the way I eat less than 20 carbs per day and I use every one of them, a .4 difference in such a low carb count is a difference.

EDIT: Again, wasnt trying to be rude just wanted to rage -_-

Well...this is why your so damn angry. Eat some carbs! Eating healthy isn't supposed to make you made, its supposed to make you happy because you are making yourself a better you. (now, go...and eat some carbs) : D
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!