Meal Plans

Options
Does anyone else on here meal plan?
I absolutely hate it,,, But I can't deny all the benefits
Being prepared, reduces the chance that I'll binge, save money on groceries, reduces waste....

I'm trying to build one now for next week. If you have any good recipes or example meal plans to contribute that would be sweet!

Replies

• FluffyNoMore26
    FluffyNoMore26 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Meal plans are great most of the time. For me because my schedule can change so fast it is hard for me to plan my meals. When I do have a week I know is going to be smooth sailing I do spend my last day off work grocery shopping and preparing the meals for the week. Best thing to do is make sure you have the time and energy for the meals you have planned out. If not you'll whined up eating takeout. Ohh and crockpot meals are a lifesaver if you don't know what time you will be home for dinner.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I like to cook chicken breasts or thighs in crock pot with a bunch of la victoria salsa supreme then use it for burritos, tacos, taco salads and nachos. Sometimes I just eat it with salad or vegys.
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I recently made a list for my Mom. She is only home 2 hours or so each day and doesn't want to spend them cooking. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717700-3-week-menu-plan

Charity
  • LoRizzo785
    LoRizzo785 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I feel overwhelmed by the thought of meal planning, but I fell like it would be very beneficial, what are some small steps to take, while planning meals?
  • AtlantaWriter
    AtlantaWriter Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love the crock pot too! I've discovered that beans taste SO good in a crock pot! I also do vegetable soup in the crock pot. Yum!
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    My husband wants me to make a 2 weeks meal plan, and stick to that almost constantly. We're short on money right now, so buying the same things from week to week seems like a solid idea.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1485

This is the article that got me started in Menu Planning last year. I've gotten off of the habit, but am trying to get back into it. Hope it helps.
  • AtlantaWriter
    AtlantaWriter Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I plan most meals when I make my grocery list. I try to go online and see what's on sale, like chicken breasts, hamburger, etc. My son has autism and won't eat most of what I cook, so I have to cook separately for him, but I've been doing it so long I'm used to it. Some meals for me are only a sandwich with smoked turkey. Others I've cooked in the crock pot (pot roast, chicken breasts, beans). The crock pot meals I can reheat for one or two more days, which helps with planning. I buy skinless boneless chicken breasts when they're on sale and just saute one of those and nuke a sweet potato. I also improvise with things like edamame, a big salad with lots of veggies, cottage cheese and fruit, etc. I only cook big meals on weekends because when I get home I"m beat!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I suck at meal planning no matter what I do. The best I can do is stay on budget and hope I don't binge on whatever I bought.

Anyone want to plan my meals for me? :tongue:
  • kwajrunner
    kwajrunner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I really have had a lot of luck with www.happyherbivore.com
    She has vegan meal plans for individuals or a family of four. They cost $5, but they include a shopping list, meal plan, and recipes for 3 meals a day for a week. All recipes include dietary stats and including healthy snacks I think they run about 1200 calories per day. My kids have liked almost all of them too! Once I purchase several weeks worth of downloads I will just mix and match and reuse favorites!
  • LilacDaffodil
    LilacDaffodil Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I often use this site when money is tight, you can choose your meal plan, add your normal shopping bits and bobs then send your shopping list straight to your basket on your Asda or Tesco online account, or send the list to your mobile.

http://resourcefulcook.com

sorry, ... tags don't seem to be working for me :sad:
  • misfitswayoflife
    misfitswayoflife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    thanks guys I'll check out the links!