Had my BMR/RMR tested.. now what?

Options
Since January, I have lost just over 50 pounds. I used the MFP recommended calories of 1200, but then ate back most exercise calories and logged anything that even approached exercise (ie vigourous cleaning, walks). I did adjust most MFP exericise calories down though per my heart rate monitor and some common sense. For exercise, I do a rec/fitness version of roller derby (1X/week), walk often (4+X/week), run a bit (mostly interval maybe 2X/week), and I have just started lifting heavy (3X/week) using the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women.

My weight loss has predictably slowed, so I started to learn more about BMR, TDEE, and nutrition. I adjusted my macros to 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat. I'm incorporating healthier foods using baby steps so I can really affect a life style change. I assumed I had destroyed my metabolism by eating too little, so I had my BMR tested.

Surprise! My BMR is a whopping 1814 cals, 18% higher my comparable average woman. The testing cart used seems to be considered accurate, and I followed the pretest procedures. My TDEE was a generic estimate of 2583 based on BMR plus lifestyle assumptions. If you had told me I had a "fast" metabolism at my heaviest, I would not have believed it for even a moment.

So... what now? To continue to lose weight, the place I went for testing recommended that I gradually increase my calories to 2000 to 2200 per day (with the macros I already use) and recommended that I then never eat below 1814 net. The machine generated report recommended 1452 to 1814 in the "weight loss zone", also gross I'm assuming but I'm not sure. Should I continue on as I have been? As you can see from the charts, I'm rarely at 1200 calories. Maybe the up and downs were a good thing for my metabolism? Should I increase to what seems a crazy 2000+ calories? Aim for the 1452 from the report? Are these numbers net or gross?

I'm confused, but I want to learn and know more! My goals are to preserve and build lean body mass and lose fat. I will probably need to lose at least about 30 more pounds, even accounting for gains in muscle. Let me know what you would do and why!

calories.jpg

Replies

• tekne1
    tekne1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Is there way to move this to the General Weight Loss Help forum? It may fit better there.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You have to click on the "report post" button below and ask the mods to move it for you.
  • tekne1
    tekne1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Perfect, thank you!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Its not uncommon to have a fast metabolism when you are overweight... when you gain fat, you gain muscle to support your frame.

Also, if your tdee is 2500 then cut 20% from there and eat that everyday. Dont eat back exercise calories as i assume its in your tdee. Btw i know tons of 5'2" women @ 125 lbs eating 1700-2000 calories or more. Enjoy the extra calories but make them quality... high protein, healthy fats and plenty of fruits and veggies.