beating myself up!!!

Options
I've done good all week and BAM...today Im over by 1700 calories!!!! How could I let that happen??? Im so upset, I feel like all my hard work went out the window.

Can anyone relate??

Replies

• sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    DID YOU MAKE SURE THAT YOU DIDNT MESS UP THE QUANTITY ON SOMETHING? I have been there. This is a learning process and its not happening overnight. Don't beat yourself up because tomorrow is a new day and you can try again. It gets easier. I have been logging for 5 weeks now and its getting easier and I am still learning so hang in there!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Quirious
    Options
    One day doesn't make or break you - just keep looking ahead. When I first started MFP I had a Saturday just like you are describing, a whole days worth of calories over. It was a week I still lost 2.6 pounds. Bump up your exercise a little and try to scale back for a day or so, you'll be ok ; )
  • haily89
    Options
    No, I didnt mess up entering....I actually ate that much, between donuts, pizza and ice cream, I am really over my calories for today.

UGH!!!
  • veggievet
    veggievet Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also feel horrible when I go over. Just think how many times we probably overshot calories prior to watching them on myfitnesspal! I agree that it gets easier to follow. It's a life style change, not a diet. Hang in there.
    You could always exercise this evening so you're only over by 1500 calories (;
    :smile:
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Ok, so you were practicing...now you got to try again! When we learn how to play baseball, or chess, or learn how to read we don't get it perfect the first time, we have to practice. When you were learning to read did you refuse to try again because you couldn't get through Gone with the Wind the first week? No, you had to try and try, sometimes you failed and sometimes it all came together. So, count this as a learning experience, figure out what you did wrong (did you go crazy because you were bored? depressed? did you wait until the end of the day to log it all in and not realize it was a problem? did you start messing up and figure screw it? figure out the problem and make a plan for next time) But above all, keep practicing and eventually you will get it right! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
  • Paulala
    Paulala Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes I can relate..I went to a buffet and had a divine piece of cheese cake...I thought OK I can deal with this...it equates to roughly half a pound of body fat (1500 calories over my limit) and I got right back on track the next day and gave alittle extra for excercise the rest of the week..parked farther from the entrance of the store, walked to the post office instead of drive..ect. Don't beat yourself up!
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean.. If I feel bad about my eating, I will force a workout in, at least you can lessen the blow.. It works! Makes you feel better too!!!
  • missmelfina
    missmelfina Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. Go work out instead. :) Enjoy the fact that you took a break from the routine (especially because it can boost your metabolism for the next time you eat if you do it once a week). Also, i read in fitness magazing (aka the best magazine ever) that punishing yourself for binging leads to more binging, and often to giving up on accomplishing your weight loss goals. Allow yourself the day, enjoy yourself, work out, and remember that bit about the metabolism. Always remember, too, that you have a new start every second. :)
  • DTFaaron
    Options
    that happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I ate costco pizza without checking the calories of them. I was pissed! lol Tomorrow will be a new day. No use crying over spilled milk.
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, today was one of those days. When I figured that I would keep heading back to the fridge I already knew the days calories would be over so I did something I have never done before, I decided that if I was going to go over today then it was going to be healthy. I took a banana and scooped up some peanutbutter and ate it. Dinner has not even come yet and I am taking my daughter out for her birthday, I was trying to be good today but I am already at 1200 calories for the day. I'll do my best tonight but I can only hope to end the evening with only 500 more. Wish me luck.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have days like that and it all washes out. Keep on doing what your doing 99% of the time and the 1% doesnt make a bit of difference! You can do it get back on that horse and keep riding!!!
  • The trick is not to beat yourself up about ..... then it controls you and you will do it again because now your feeling like crap and think...... oh well I knew I couldn't do this anyway..... you mess everything up that way....... so instead acknowledge it and move on..... also before you eat something just to eat something use the H.A.L.T. system.....it helps you avoid emotional eating.... H= Am I hungary? what have I eaten today? A= Am I angry? Am I eating for comfort L= Am I lonely? or bored? T= Am I tired? ........ If you can identify the emotion behind the mindless eating then you can curb it
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You're okay, this is LONG haul journey, not a one day event :)
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've had those days...in fact, I'm having one now!!! I think it's because it's cold and damp and gray here, and I just feel so tired and unmotivated today...it feels like depriving myself in anyway is a stupid idea. I'm lucky, though...my day isn't completely blown...just a little more out of hand than I like my eating to be. And on a good note, although I definitely had some food I shouldn't have had today, a big part of today's binge was actually healthful food. (OMG DID I REALLY EAT AN ENTIRE AVOCADO? Oh yes I did!!!)

But you know, you pick yourself up, you brush yourself off, and you jump right back on this horse tomorrow. I've had several iffy days in the last eight weeks, and I've still lost about 14 pounds in that time. If it's not too late, get a workout in. You may not be able to completely absolve the overage, but at least you can mitigate it. :flowerforyou:
  • stargust1
    Options
    Yes, I sure can relate! Today we had a celebration lunch at work AND cookie day. Unfortunately I left my healthy lunch at home today. (and was starving because I normally eat every two hours with healthy meals and snacks) I ate 300 over my allowed calories, and clearly over on everything else as well because I was so hungry and gave in to my tempation to the pizza and only one "little tiny" brownie. Real bummer. BUT tomorrow is a new day! Forgive yourself and start over in the morning. As long as we don't make it a habit of slipping, we'll be okay! Hope this helps. =)
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    My first day on the site I ate as I normally would and logged everything. I ate a fast food meal from wendy's and went over by 1000 calories. I felt sick and sad. But, the next day I just made an effort to hit my goal number, and actually I ate less than that. Mistakes will happen. It is okay to slip up every once in a while. Don't beat yourself up, you are human. And you have all of us here rooting for you!!!
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Hey, don't beat yourself up. Tomorrow is another day. Try inputting your food the night before, plan it out. If the numbers are too high in a certain category, then tweak your plan until it's where you need to be. It's so important to be organize and plan things out in advance so those types of things don't happen. Christine
  • haily89
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your support, I'll take your advice and start clean tomorrow!!!! Its nice to know that others have gone through the same trials and survived:)
  • 100crunches
    100crunches Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Everyone slips along the way. Don't let it ruine all your efforts so far. You are only as bad as your last meal. Tomorrow is a new day. Make it the healthiest you have had. Learn from it - Move on and stop beating your self up over it.
  • lsherah
    Options
    Girlfriend, I just joined the site last week and on the 2nd day I was over the same amount. Today I am on my 2nd day of being under. Even with the overage, I decided I will never give up! Yeah - I had a bad eating day last week, but I decided to MAKE the time to go to the store and buy healthy foods and snacks. So, stop beating yourself up and use that energy to exercise, eat right and most importantly, enjoy life from one day to the next and keep your goal before you, but don't let this diet thing bring you down!!! Also, one more thing I am learning is to be patient with my progress. No more trying to do quick diet busters. This is a life improvement experience! Take care!