Pregnant and in need of healthy meal & snack ideas!!!

Options
Yep, I just found out I am pregnant again after a very early miscarriage last month. I am still a little nervous that the same thing will happen again but this time just feels different. I just have a feeling everything will be okay!

Anyway, I want to start this pregnancy out RIGHT and that includes eating SUPER healthy! So I need ideas for some easy and healthy meals and snacks. I actually do pretty good with my meals but lately I have noticed I've been snacking more often and not always making the best choices. Soooo if you all could give me recipes for your favorite healthy meals and snacks that would be awesome : )

We don't eat beef and not much fish either... but anything with turkey or chicken... or even meatless recipes would be good!

TIA!

Replies

• JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Hello, Jen! Raw fruits and veggies are always good as snacks. You'll be needing the vitamins, anyhow, because you now have a new life growing.
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
    AND... I drink A LOT of diet pop and I am also trying to cut out aspartame because I know it's really bad for you and I really wanna cut it out now that I'm pregnant. But I can't drink anything real sugary either because I'm diabetic... and I don't wanna drink just water all the time. Any ideas???
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Something I really like are seltzers, especially Polar Seltzers. It's a nice fizz without the artificial sweeteners. When I gave up diet soda I went cold turkey. It was the easiest for me that way, and now I can enjoy one once in a while without going back to drinking it weekly.
  • Ronngie
    Options
    Also, you could drink milk or whichever teas are safe for you. I love mint tea, and once you get used to it unsweetened it's very tasty!
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
    Also, you could drink milk or whichever teas are safe for you. I love mint tea, and once you get used to it unsweetened it's very tasty!

Thanks for the tips. Mint tea sounds good : )
  • Ronngie
    Options
    My favorite is Stash Moroccan Mint..so yummy! I make a gallon at a time & put it in the fridge for everyone!
  • Ronngie
    Options
    & I should have said- CONGRATULATIONS! Children are blessings :)
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Salmon is good - lots of omega3. Just bake it, it's easy, I like it with boiled potato, and boiled brocolli, cauliflower. Chicken soup, with added grain like pasta or rice, and vegetables will also be great.

Have a good full meal and avoid snacking as that might add to your sugar level unnecessarily, since you are diabetic, must watch the fruits intake.

For drinks, try to learn to drink water, tea and coffee are best to be avoided. milk is good, as you will need calcium. Watch the sodium intake too, as you will easily get water retention at a later stage if you have high sodium intake.

Check out the www.babycenter.com, very useful site and guide.
  • livejaz
    livejaz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sparkling water. You can add fruit for flavor or buy flavored. Be careful, some sparkling waters contain artificial sweeteners and sodium. But there are plenty that are free of all things bad. I personally like La croix. Hope this helps! Congrats on the new baby:smile:
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i just found out i am possibly pregnant as well. i will confirm tomorrow. i am right along with you and need ideas ecspecially low sodium meals...also BUMP lol oh anyone feel free to add me.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Fruits, veggies, whole grains and lean protein. You do need fat.

Talk to your OB/GYN and see if they want you to follow a certain plan.

I'm tracking my calories, not for dieting purposes right now, but more of a log of what I'm eating. I'm trying to cut out the soft drinks (my only really bad habit), and drinking green tea instead. If you need some guidance, look at my journal. It's not perfect, by any means. I do give in to my cravings, within reason.

But yeah, definitely talk to your OB/GYN.
  • alaskanaomi
    Options
    Zevia is a naturally sweetened soda that has zero calories. Their flavor is a little weird, but you get used to it. They have a cola flavor with caffeine, a really good ginger/root beer, and some other flavors, and you can usually find them in any grocery store.
  • Fat2Fit4Life
    Fat2Fit4Life Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    AND... I drink A LOT of diet pop and I am also trying to cut out aspartame because I know it's really bad for you and I really wanna cut it out now that I'm pregnant. But I can't drink anything real sugary either because I'm diabetic... and I don't wanna drink just water all the time. Any ideas???

I like Vitamin Water Zero, Sobe Lifewater Zero, and Fuze - decent products and many have no artificial sweetners, only natural.
  • traci0620
    traci0620 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I loved fresh fruit and yogurt smoothies, good protein and lots of vitamins. I also add a little bit of veggie to it as well. I had to mess with the flavors and amounts of things that worked.

I use: Fresh fruit of choice I usually do blueberry and banana, Strawberries, peaches, but whatever you like will work.
    about 3/4 cup lowfat vanilla yogurt, 1 cup skim milk
    For the veggies I usually just add a handful on spinich or a few broccoli florets, or some carrots. these don't affect the taste to badly and adds the vitamins and nutrition.

You can find recipes online as well if you aren't comfortable experimenting.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Feel free to join us in the MFP group below for support and info from others on the site going through the same thing. Congrats to you and hope it goes well this time around!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1903-fit-fabulous-pregnant
  • vabchloser
    vabchloser Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My new favorite snack is carrots and red pepper hummus. I go to Costco and buy the case of individual 2 oz hummus containers. I don't even really like carrots, but they taste great dipped in hummus.

Highly recommend!
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
    bump