Runners, I need some help... Please :)

Options
To all the runners out there, I am currently training for a half marathon which is October 14th. On Saturday I hit my 10 mile run. Since then, when I run, I have really bad burning in my calves, kind of like the feeling you have when your lifting weights. Cardiovascular wise I feel fine, but the burning is intense and a little in my feet as well. It was difficult to get through my 4 miler today. Does anybody have an idea of how to eliminate the calf/ foot burning. I also have good sneakers so I know thats not the problem!

Thanks!!

Replies

• Cristofori44
    Options
    You should be stretching out all your leg muscles, including calves, for a good spell after the run.
    You should also be alternating runs with leg work at the gym and cross-training such as the bike.
    There are programs out there...follow one!
  • bkibbs
    bkibbs Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Stretching definitely. And after long runs I hit the ibuprofen.
  • Fitnthin101
    Fitnthin101 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You should be stretching out all your leg muscles, including calves, for a good spell after the run.
    You should also be alternating runs with leg work at the gym and cross-training such as the bike.
    There are programs out there...follow one!

I'm following the hal hidgons program. Just wasn't sure if my calves were over worked or strained.
  • Culley34
    Options
    Strained or tight calves is usually the result of fatigued hamstrings, and your calves are trying to pick up the slack.

Try soaking in a bath with Epsom salt and taking 15-20 to really stretch your legs.

Also, a good night"s sleep can't be overstated!
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Stretching for sure and stay hydrated :)