Why do I gain weight when I drink my 8 cups of water a day?

Options
Why is it when I drink my 8 cups of water a day I gain weight that week or stay the same? I feel better when I do but I cant loose the weight. When I dont drink water I loose weight every week!! I dont get it I thought every one said to drink 8 cups a day. The question is drink or not to drink, that is my question?

Replies

• liittlebrunette
    liittlebrunette Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know the answer to this too because I drink a lot of water
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Same here
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    keep your sodium low, and keep on drinking. You're retaining water. Don't be alarmed, it's not "fat weight" it's "water weight" and that will eventually go. Right now, you're just holding it because of your sodium intake. Reduce sodium levels, increase or maintain your water intake, and give it a couple weeks......you'll see :)
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    It's water weight. Water does weigh a lot. I notice that the scale goes up for me when i "chug" my water and drink a lot at once.

If I sip continuously during the day, then it doesn't really affect me
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    keep your sodium low, and keep on drinking. You're retaining water. Don't be alarmed, it's not "fat weight" it's "water weight" and that will eventually go. Right now, you're just holding it because of your sodium intake. Reduce sodium levels, increase or maintain your water intake, and give it a couple weeks......you'll see :)

What she said
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Since your food journal isn't viewable, it's hard to comment. Water would not cause you to gain weight since it has no calories. I drink anywhere from 1/2 - 1 gallon of water daily and I lose consistently. So without seeing your journal, not sure what the problem might be. Good Luck!
  • SuperDuperCereal
    Options
    Not drink water? Are you serious? Drink as much water as you can, eat less carbs/calories, and get active. If you're eating too many calories you can drink a swimming pool and you won't lose weight.

On the flip side; Losing weight by not drinking water is probably the least healthy thing you can possibly do to your body.
  • keep your sodium low, and keep on drinking. You're retaining water. Don't be alarmed, it's not "fat weight" it's "water weight" and that will eventually go. Right now, you're just holding it because of your sodium intake. Reduce sodium levels, increase or maintain your water intake, and give it a couple weeks......you'll see :)

What she said

What they both said.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    keep your sodium low, and keep on drinking. You're retaining water. ... Reduce sodium levels, increase or maintain your water intake, and give it a couple weeks......you'll see :)
    This... My sodium is under 1000mg most days, usually 600mg or less, and I feel so much better. Keeps me off the blood pressure meds, too, as my doctor said to keep sodium under 1500mg. Even a little extra sodium affects me. Unless I'm sweating it out, this works best for me.
  • 1974tonya
    1974tonya Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the quick reply it means very much to me. Your all doing great keep up the good work!
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If you've been habitually dehydrated, it will take a while for your body to become accustomed to you hydrating it properly. For the first while, it will tend to hold onto the water you drink because it doesn't know that its going to be getting enough water.

One thing is that the 8 glasses of water meme isn't necessarily accurate. Everyone repeats it, but no one can point to an authoritative source where it came from, much less what the measure was based on. If you consider 8 glasses of water is 64 ounces, or about 1/2 gallon a day. Given that humans vary in mass, what can be good hydration for someone at 120 lbs could be dehydration for someone at 220 lbs because all of your bodies functions ultimately depend on your fluid levels. Persistent dehydration can lead to a number of things, like electrolite imbalances that in turn affect such things as heart function.

My advice is to drink as much water as you need to feel alert and energetic, but do it for a month on a consistent basis so that your body gets used to getting the water it needs. You might see the number on the scale look like its stuck for a bit, but give it time and it will start to move. Hydration is important, especially if you are exercising on a regular basis and sweating it out.

Just remember, all a scale will tell you is what your total mass is at a given point of time in a day. It tells you nothing about body composition. I can show you two objects with the same mass that look completely different because of their composition. The tape measure and your clothes are a better guage of your shape.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I have heard that one reason people retain water is because of an imbalance in their electrolytes. Sodium is practically in everything, so most people have way too much sodium and not enough potassium. Which causes the cells to hold on to more water. *shrug* or something like that.

Trust me, I am 100% positive when I say this: drinking lots of water is NOT making you gain fat or hold on to fat. Keep on drinking. It's very good for you.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Water is what we are made of. Forget everything else. If you dont eat you will survive for a long time.... dont drink water & you will be dead in 2 days given the right environment.

Why on earth would you give up your health just to stop drinking it? Not only does it make your skin sooooooooooo much nicer, your hair better, your whole body RELIES on it to live.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Not drink water? Are you serious? Drink as much water as you can, eat less carbs/calories, and get active. If you're eating too many calories you can drink a swimming pool and you won't lose weight.

Losing weight by not drinking water is probably the least healthy thing you can possibly do to your body.

Agreed, for the most part. Think quality, not quantity. You want to lose fat, not water. Drinking extra water may make you gain a little water weight at first, but certainly not fat. Keep it consistent. Don't go 6 days and drink 3 glasses of water each day and then drink 8 glasses on the 7th and wonder why your weight is up a little. Drink your 8 glasses every day and you will see the scale start going in the right direction.(.....as long as you are in a caloric deficit.)
  • melb2003
    Options

Perfectly said. I would plateau for several weeks, and then after being fustrated I started to look back and review my diary to see what I was doing differently during the time periods where I would have awesome losses and compare my diary to when I would plateau...9 times out of 10, when I was pleatauing I would also be consuming over 4,500mg of sodium a day, well over the 2,500mg that is recommended. Ever since I incorporated tracking my sodium and keeping it around 3,000mg a day, I've been losing steadily. On another note, I've recently learned that if I stop drinking water about 2 hours before bed, it reflects more on the scale than if I drink until bedtime.

Keep at it, it sounds like you're taking the right steps. :flowerforyou:
  • NakeshiaB
    NakeshiaB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The whole 8 cups a day is really only a guideline. Personally I've only ever needed between 6-9 cups a day, depending on the day (activity level, temperature etc). Some people need as much as 12 cups a day! I wouldn't any less than 6 cups a day, from experience it leads to a multitude of health problems. Perhaps try green tea as well as water, the antioxidants in green tea are super good for you and can help speed up your metabolism.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    You should make your food journal public, it would make it a lot easier to offer you advice. My suspicion is that you are simply comparing your dehydrated and hydrated weights and noticing that your hydrated weight is higher. Fluctuations in weight due to water are common. Stay hydrated all the time. It's healthy for you and will give you consistent weights.
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    A good way to tell if you're retaining a lot of water due to too much sodium in your diet; how salty tasting is your sweat while you exercise? If your sweat is very salty tasting, you're likely holding onto water weight and need to tone down the salt and high sodium processed foods.

Put Sodium on your nutrition tracker and make sure you're not going over that per day.

Make sure you're exercising and sweating out all that excess salt and then replenish with fresh/clean water.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    The weight gain has nothing to do with your water intake, but I don't know why you are forcing yourself to drink the water anyway. The 8 glass thing is a myth - you get plenty of water from your food so drink water when required and not just to satisfy this mythical '8 glasses' figure

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/06/08/water-eight-glasses-myth.html

Goldfarb said despite the common idea that it's important to "drink eight glasses of eight ounces of water" a day, "There’s no evidence that benefits health in any real way and it really represents an urban myth."
  • njauatin
    njauatin Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You are probably just retaining water. Cut down some sodium and continue drinking water. It will pass.