MFP Calculation - Explanation please?

Options
Where does MFP get their calculation? They told me after I finished today's food diary that if everyday was like today - I would lose 17.7lbs in 5 weeks. Today I had 1293 calories left * 35 days (5 wks) = 45,255. Divide this by 3500 calories (1 lb) = 12.93 lbs

17.7lbs does not equal 12.93 lbs.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the deficit that is already there on your goal calories. That is likely where the difference is found. That 1293, unless you are at maintenance, would not include it.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You should be establishing no more than a 1 lb per week weight loss strategy at your weight. Anything larger than that will not lead to greater fat oxidation as the less fat you have, the less you'll lose per week. Even 12.9 lbs per 5 weeks is not recommended and is too large of a deficit below maintenance. Constitute a 500 calorie deficit comprised of eating 350 calories under maintenance and engage in 150 calories of strength training exercise with minimum cardio.
  • brissell
    brissell Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. And don't worry -- at my weight I can handle a few higher calorie deficit days. My pictures are my "goal" weight; not current weight :-)

Only 150 calories of weight training - hmm. I'm doing a lot more exercise than that right now.