Is 2400 a lot?? Help

Options
I eat 2400 cals a day!!! Heathy food that is!! My question is: is 2400 too much or not??
Weight - 132.2
Ht- 5'1
Female
I workout 5 days a week for 60 mins!!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I eat 2400 cals a day!!! Heathy food that is!! My question is: is 2400 too much or not??
    Weight - 132.2
    Ht- 5'1
    Female

It sounds like a lot, however you can always just monitor your progress over a couple of weeks and see what happens.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    are u gaining on that. My BMR says I burn 2005cal doing nothing. I guess follow MFP and see if u get the results u wish
  • Kippie1985
    Kippie1985 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you do all day =) When I was working a physical job 60 hours a week I ate roughly 3000 calories a day at 4`11. I was 110 lbs then. However, I ate the same for oh.... 5 months after starting my desk job and gained just shy of 50 lbs lol. I'm sure you'll find the balance!
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever eaten that much even on my binge days but my BMR is super low so its seems like an awful lot to me especially for a girl and it also seems like you'd be eating way over your BMR but if you're losing weight eating that then I guess it's fine for you but it certainly seems like an awful lot to me. It makes me wonder if I could up my cals to 1500 and still lose or at least maintain but as someone who eat 1350 it seems like a lot
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Depends on the intensity of your workouts and if you are trying to lose or maintain. I exercise 60-90 minutes, 6x a week, and am 126Ibs, and my TDEE is around 2800, so I wouldn't say 2400 is too much to maintain but possibly too much to lose. Just monitor your weight and see if it is going up or staying the same(allowing for a few ibs fluctuations as most people get at a maintenance weight).
  • Keltinator
    Options
    Plugging your numbers into a TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) calculator, I got around 2200 cals. So it might be a little high. The only way to really tell is just to monitor whether you're gaining or losing, and then readjust.

I used: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever eaten that much even on my binge days so its seems like an awful lot especially for a girl and it also seems like you'd be eating way over your BMR but if you're losing weight eating that then I guess it's fine for you but it certainly seems like an awful lot to me.

Many females here are losing on 1800-2200 so no, it is not necessarily an awful lot. 1800-2000 is a general maintenance level for many women. If someone has a bmr of 1700, and burns 1000 in exercise/activity each day, then 2400 is definitely not unrealistic.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Weight - 132.2
    Ht- 5'1
    Female

Not too much for your size and activity level. FYI, I ate more calories than that for lunch :-)
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'3" and 550, I eat 2400 or less per day and I lose. For you, may be a bit much. Do you feel over full after you eat? Are you gaining? Really depends on the person and the activity level.
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think at that rate you will either maintain or gain. Check this out: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/.
    Input your info. I did a rough estimate and put you down as doing 5-6 hours of strenuous exercise per week and got that to lose you need to eat 1968.

If you change it to 3-5 hrs per week of moderate exercise then you need 1768 to lose. Your BMR shows as 1426. Hope that helps!
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is estimated to be 1,316. If you're extremely active, you might be able to maintain on 2,400, but I'd be very surprised if you lost weight. You are young and a hockey player, though, so it's possible.

I'm 6'0", 208 lbs., and I currently eat 2,400 calories a day. I do resistance training and 200 meter or 400 meter sprints 5 times a week. I lose about 1 lb. a week eating 2,400 calories.

Like the others wrote, it does seem high, but it's easy enough to test.
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    if u burn alot of calories exercising, 2400 is no problem
  • hannahamay
    hannahamay Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you're working out for an hour five days a week, but on your rest days you may need to eat a little less. I'm also 5'1 and I try to eat at least 1,300 calories every day but I always allow myself to go a little over on days that I exercise. I get really sick to my stomach if I eat too much.
  • positivepineapple
    Options
    I'm 23 years old and 5 3 and when I used to walk to work every day+physical job+exercised 5 to 6 days a week I routinely ate 2500 to 2800 and didn't gain any weight..... I eat super healthy for the most part as well.
  • ShaeSweetie
    ShaeSweetie Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Its only too much if your gaining weight love! If you losing weight and looking thinner than stick with it..if anything knock it down to 2000..still a good amount but less
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Since you are an athlete, do not assume too large of a deficit or it will affect your training. You can read Lyle McDonald's notes on setting the appropriate deficit:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/setting-the-deficit-small-moderate-or-large.html
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'3" and 550, I eat 2400 or less per day and I lose. For you, may be a bit much. Do you feel over full after you eat? Are you gaining? Really depends on the person and the activity level.

How quickly are you losing weight? What do you think your TDEE is?
  • lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options

How quickly are you losing weight? What do you think your TDEE is?

My TDEE is 2499