Newbie from Canada!

Options
Hey everyone,
My name is Kate, and I'm new on here. I'm 24, from Canada!!! Woo! I am a picky eater so it makes this hard, but it must be done. I want to lose 100 lbs.

I was never a small girl, I'm 5'11" and I weigh an outrageous number. I finally decided I couldn't take it anymore and needed to change how I was living. I signed up here 5 days ago, and in total it's only been 3 months for me of losing weight, and the scale does not seem to be in my favor.

I have gone down in clothing sizes, and people around me tell me I'm losing weight, but I've only lost 9 lbs. That's so discouraging for me. I eat under my calories everyday, and I go to the gym everyday and do cardio and all weights, I swim twice a week, and play soccer twice a week. I am a really competitive person, and I play a lot of sports. I'm also an A type personality. My doctor told me not to get a number of pounds I want to lose in my head because I will dwell on it. Well, she was right. I find myself weighing myself 5 times a day, and I get upset when it goes up throughout the day. I just feel like I'm getting nowhere, which makes me eat less and less, which isn't helping either.

Sorry for the rant, just a frustrating day. I feel like I'm lifting weight till it hurts everyday and seeing little results.

Nice to know there's so many ppl out there on this journey as well. Good luck to you all, hope to chat with some of you!

Replies

• _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    welcome kate!!

im 22 and also from canada!!

trust me, its not as hard as it seems. if you love chocolate cake, then google "high protein healthy chocolate cake"...there are healthy recipes for everything to make it easier in the beginning, and then gradually start eating "cleaner"

also you said you eat under your calories...what are they set to? for example if they are set to 1200, NEVER eat below this. believe it or not this could be why your weightloss is slow...your body NEEDS fuel. give it a lot of healthy foods will fuel it better than a low amound of non nutritious foods....

best advice is to eat. eat healthy. but dont eat under your goal because you want to lose more. it will only hurt you in the end. have fun with the process!!

make healthy recipes of yummy food, and maybe give yourself a cheat meal/week.

so if you crave something wednesday tell yourself "if im good until sunday then i get that piece of ____" (cake pizza ect)

good luck hun!
  • sarahmac97
    Options
    im from canada too :) just wanted to say that i read somewhre tht eating healthy and excersizing will definetly work. however, it takes 4 weeks for you to notice a difference, 8 weeks for friends and family to notice a difference, and 12 weeks for everyone else to. if people are noticing now, youre already ahead. drink lots of water, eat only at the table (so you dont associate food with other places) dont multitask while you eat (you wont realize how much youre eating), lots of healthy snacks in between meals, this is better than just the meals. if you find yourelf binging a lot, dont buy the foods you binge on, and set up a system where you owe $1 everytime you binge, like a swear jar of sorts. everytime you lose 10 pounds buy yourself something that looks great on your new body with the money from the jar. chew gum or suck on peppermints to keep your mouth busy during craving. distract yourself when you have a craving for something unhealthy, it will usually go away after a while. and this one is really importantL: youve probably heard it before but give yourself one day of the weeek where you get to have 1 or 2 of youre favourite unhealthy foods, otherwise when you will bige like crazy all the time. before you start eating it, decide on the amount. be strict and dont change your mind, make sure you portion it out. for example, if you eat chips on a friday, dont eat them out of the bag. decide to have only a certain amount and put them in a separate bowl.

good luck! :)
  • Mamata2
    Options
    :happy: Canadian here! First i have to say is man you do a lot of exercising!!! You are quite Motivated! Wish u lived by me to kick my butt into that much moving....I woulda been at goal long time ago. :D

I 'm no expert but think with all your exercising that maybe your not eating enough and never go strictly by the scale cuz it's not only the number on the scale you want to go down it's in inches too. We all know muscle weighs more then fat.

I too have cheat days ...I only started on MFP about 2 weeks ago , but before that was on WW and lost 42lbs in 4months so i believe if you stick to your exercising and eating enough you'd be well on your way to success.

You mentioned that you work out at the gym everyday... Do you give your body a day of rest to recover?

Feel free to add me if you wish
  • alie001
    alie001 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hey Canadian as well. Unfortunately not 22 but that is ok. The fussy eating thing. Have you tried to take something that you do like and mixing healthy stuff into it. You can make chocolate cake with zucchini in it, or mashed cauliflower as a mashed potato substitute. I HATE vegetables...most make me gag...and I am well of an age to know better blah blah blah. I think if I meant to eat brocolli it would be covered in chocolate. Having said that, well, I looked like all I ate was chocolate so I force myself to eat healthy. I like the results and the way I feel.
    As for the weight and colorie intact, I agree you might actually be eating too little and pushing your body into starvation mode. Don't dwell on the numbers...seriously (I KNOW IT IS HARD) but they are a generality. No one knows specifically what you yourself need. SO some days you may go over and some you may go under, in the end you will lose.
    This is supposed to be adding a posistive to your life, don't stress so much, enjoy life a little more...after all I would think you didn't put all that weight on in 5, 10, 20, days? It will take a little longer to take it off...just my opinion, I wish you all the very very best!
  • kamc96
    Options
    Lol, Oh my goodness, I feel the same way about broccoli, thanks for the support! I am going to try not to worry about the numbers so much. That's my biggest downfall with this.
  • kenjancef
    kenjancef Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm NOT from Canada... lol...

But I am a very picky eater as well, eating the same things on-and-off the entire week. But I did find a way to balance that with decent workouts and have had some success. It does suck to be a picky eater, so I know where you're coming from.

Feel free to add me if you'd like. :)
  • kamc96
    Options
    Hey stephanie0! Thanks for the reply, my calories are set to 1440 a day. Before I ate awful food, probably around 3000 calories a day. I didn't gain weight for 3 years however, I think because I was active, so even though I ate so badly I burned enough of it off to stay the same size. Now though, I feel like I'm eating so much more in a day because I'm eating lots of fruit, and healthier meals, so I feel like I'm piling food in, and not realizing that I'm not piling calories in. Kind of in my head I guess. Today I met my goal perfectly though!!
  • ashleyrose90
    ashleyrose90 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Woooh a Canadian girl!!! Everyone on here can add me if they like.. It is nice to see some similar natives :P

It can get frustrating to loose weight... I've been on and off this site for a few years but I also slacked though this time I am determined. I'm meeting really cool people and have a trip to Mexico to get toned for. And I need motivaters as well to have other people similar to me trying to loose weight and help with their progress.

Feel free to add :)
  • Tsunami79
    Tsunami79 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm not from Canada either, and I am also a very picky eater.

Feel free to add me if you like
  • jothekid
    jothekid Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Fellow Canadian here, live from Gatineau, Quebec! :happy: Feel free to add me and let's go for a molson canadian and a beaver tail! nah kidding...protein shake and veggies...but you can add me ;)
  • kamc96
    Options
    :happy: Canadian here! First i have to say is man you do a lot of exercising!!! You are quite Motivated! Wish u lived by me to kick my butt into that much moving....I woulda been at goal long time ago. :D

I don't actually exercise that much for myself. Lol, I was a high level athlete my entire life, so to get back into exercise as much as I am feels amazing. My friends think I'm crazy, I have one who I drag to the gym though!!

Congrats on losing 42 lbs, that's amazing!!!

I don't take break days for the gym, which lots of ppl say isn't good. I am going to try to just do cardio for 2 days, no weights. I was at physio today and my therapist was so impressed by my muscle strength in my leg. (I tore my ACL and LCL 9 weeks ago, was on crutches and in a brace) She told me today that I have a very solid frame, I'm 5'11", and that my muscles were huge, especially in my legs, so once I started working out again, I wouldn't see numbers on the scale so much as a difference in my clothes. She talked a lot today about how I will never be a tiny skinny girl, and I will be muscular if anything, and I need to face that and move on. Lol, it was okay to hear that.
  • RockyDon
    RockyDon Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    48 here and from Canada feel free to add me
  • cl0377
    cl0377 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm also Canadian...not so much a picky eater, though, I eat what my kids eat and they are picky. I try to make healthy foods for the whole family and they can pick and choose what they want out of it... but the one rule is they have to try it. (actually eat a piece/spoonful of whatever is there) before they say they don't like it. I'm not one for veggies, but I splurge on a low fat dip. Makes them better. also, DON"T eat below your calories... your body goes into starvation mode, and then stores everything else that you eat. Good luck! you can add me if you like!
  • MandiK3
    MandiK3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yay! Lots of Canadians :D I am as well, I have sent you an invite :D
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    love me some canadians...from nova scotia
  • kamc96
    Options
    love me some canadians...from nova scotia

No way!! I'm originally from Nova Scotia, just out here in MB for school!
  • Girl_Bomb
    Options
    I'm Canadian :) 22 from Toronto area. Add me :) BUT only if you understand that you need to fuel your body with lots and lots of Healy food!!
  • abbie72003
    abbie72003 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    From Victoria, BC here! Don't feel bad about the slow loss. It took me 3 months to lose my first 10lbs and I think it's going to take 5 months to lose the last 10lbs :) As long as its coming off that's all that matters, but it sure does get frustrating. Feel free to add me for some support!
  • white_moth
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Toronto's here
  • melodyfrommars
    Options
    i'm a canadian kate too!:flowerforyou: