What to do with CHICKEN???

Options
JTick
JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
I'm not much of a meat eater, I just don't really like it. I rarely eat red meat, and prefer lean meats/seafood. I bought a few chicken breasts today and ate one for lunch but it was just kinda...blah. I need more protein in my diet, so I want to incorporate fish/chicken, but what in the world can I put on this chicken to make it more appetizing? What are your favorite spices for chicken? What do you like to pair it with?

Replies

• baoneill29
    baoneill29 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love chicken breast, plus I love to keep it simple. I have some simple poultry seasoning, or rosemary or basil, add some lemon juice and grill or sometimes I bake it. I'm sure there will be way better recipies, but like I said I like it simple :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a meat eater, I just don't really like it. I rarely eat red meat, and prefer lean meats/seafood. I bought a few chicken breasts today and ate one for lunch but it was just kinda...blah. I need more protein in my diet, so I want to incorporate fish/chicken, but what in the world can I put on this chicken to make it more appetizing? What are your favorite spices for chicken? What do you like to pair it with?

Chop it or shred it. Stick that mofo in a frying pan after you shred it and add some taco seasoning (1 to 1.5 Tbsp). Then add about 1/3c black beans and a serving of white/jasmine/basmati rice. Stir that mug like you're churnin butter up in this B. (Can also add shredded cheese, or other taco-like ingredients)

Then add some taco sauce, eat dat shiz, and rep yo boy SideSteel on the way out.

word.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Smoke 'em!
    Shoot 'em, nab 'em, grab 'em!
    Shake 'em, bake 'em, cook 'em!
    Broil 'em, kick 'em!
    Twist 'em!
    All gone!
    Bye-bye!
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Chop it or shred it. Stick that mofo in a frying pan after you shred it and add some taco seasoning (1 to 1.5 Tbsp). Then add about 1/3c black beans and a serving of white/jasmine/basmati rice. Stir that mug like you're churnin butter up in this B. (Can also add shredded cheese, or other taco-like ingredients)

Then add some taco sauce, eat dat shiz, and rep yo boy SideSteel on the way out.

word.

Thug life!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

word.

Beyond the fact I'm cracking up, that sounds AMAZING and am definately trying it tomorrow!
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Here are some of the things I do for my family;

Brushetta Chicken (Mix of tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, very little olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Reduce on the stove until it thickens. YUM!)

Balsamic Chicken (Take Balsamic Vinegar, and simmer on stove to reduce (which enhances the flavor), then drizzle over chicken on a bed of sauteed onions and peppers)

Try Poaching the Chicken and make Chicken Salad - mix with chopped celery (and any other veggies you like), hard boiled egg, a little bit of mayo with olive oil, green onion, with salt/pepper to taste. Delicious on a bed of romaine lettuce or on toast.

Try baking the chicken. Marinade it in Greek Yogurt, then roll in a crushed mixture of total cereal (or wheaties) parmesan cheese and some italian seasoning. (Or mix the cereal with dry ranch dressing mix -equally delicious) Bake at 350.

Buffalo Chicken - put the boneless skinless chicken in the crock pot. Cover with your favorite hot sauce, and a packet of dry ranch seasoning. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-6 hours. Shred the chicken once cooked, and serve as a lettuce wrap.

Make a Chicken BLT (grilled or poached works great) - Make some turkey bacon, slice some tomatoes, and build the BLT. I like making a BLT salad, with toasted pita bread on the side. For the 'dressing' I take a small amount of mayo with olive oil, and whisk it with white vinegar, salt, pepper, and then add in chopped tomatoes and cucumbers. It makes the dressing more runny and has a tangy taste. Then crumble the bacon over the top.

Serve with your favorite pasta sauce or make your own Marinara sauce - In a pan, take a tablespoon of olive oil, then add one chopped onion and cook until translucent. Add three cloves of minced/chopped garlic (or more if you really like it!) and stir in for 30 seconds. If you like, add chopped mushrooms (or any veggies you like - green pepper/zucchinni/eggplant are great) Then add, two small cans of tomato paste, and four small cans of tomato sauce. Add a few tablespoons of sugar (optional), and salt/pepper to taste. I also add 2-4 tablespoons of Italian seasoning.

Make naked tenders (like my kid's favorite - BWW's) - poach or grill the chicken (if you don't want to cut the chicken into smaller portions - chicken tenderloins work great here), then serve with dipping sauces of your choosing.

We eat chicken A LOT. I love poaching some each week to eat as additional protein, on sandwiches, salads, or by it self.

Go to SkinnyTaste.com - I love Gina's crockpot recipes!
  • lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    I grill it with montreal seasoning. Or I slice it really thin and stir fry it in veggies and rice noodles. I filet it, use gluten free buns and make chicken sandwiches.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Put your cooked chicken in a bowl with a litttttttttle rice, Fresh pico (home made or bought in the produce section) Lime juice... if you feel special, add a dab of light sour cream, and some salsa... either way... its amazing,and I could eat it every day. lol.. and its less than 200-300 cals, depending what you put in it.. either way, win win to me :)
    Or you can shred it, add carrots, celery, seasonings onions and egg noodles and make a chick soup, bbq it, grill it for Chicken soft tacos, possibilities are ENDLESS with chicken... as much as I love Red meat and steak, chicken is a DEF go to, you can make ANYTHING with it!!!!!!!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I love this so much http://sweetpeaskitchen.com/2011/01/chicken-tikka-masala/

I use fat free Greek yogurt and milk instead of regular yogurt and heavy cream. Butter all the way though baby.
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Oh wow you can do so many stuff with chicken put it in a salad grill it up :D
  • zomoro56
    zomoro56 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    For me the magic seasoning for chicken is garlic, but then again I like garlic on everything. Sometimes I add Parmesan cheese too. You should look into marinades, you can try the store bought kinds.

I like to broil my chicken breasts in the oven. I take breasts with bone in, (can use boneless but shorten the cooking time) rub it with olive oil, shake some garlic, salt and pepper, cut some onions and place the breast face down in the pan. Broil for about ten minutes on each side. It comes out juicy in the inside and crunchy on the outside. Also, since I am trying to avoid fried chicken, I have used broiled chicken to make my version of chicken and waffles. Tastes really good and adding the syrup makes me feel like I'm having a treat. I am also a big fan of ground chicken or turkey and i use it to make burgers or meat sauce for pasta.
  • Live4More
    Live4More Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! Bump
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Chop it up and toss it through a salad. Makes it taste less bland.
  • jon_brady
    jon_brady Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    season it with mrs. dash original and grill it. chop it up and fry it with fahita seasoning and sauteed onions and peppers and if you are watching your carbs eat it on an iceburg lettuce leaf. if not a whole grain tortilla. There are also tons of marinades you can slow cook it in in a crock pot. then eat it over some brown rice or quinoa.
  • momshorses
    momshorses Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    There are so many great ideas here!!!

I cook chicken ahead of time and freeze it so I can thaw it out and make quick fajitas. Having it pre-cooked saves alot of time.
  • dorybaby
    dorybaby Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I take mine and put it in a plastic baggie with 4 tbsp of italian dressing (just watch the calories - usually the off brands are the lowest). And 2 tbsp of water. Marinade it. And then pop it in the skillet. (The extra water makes it so you don't need oil or butter in the pan). It's really good. :)
  • dorybaby
    dorybaby Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I LOVE balsamic vinegar and am definitely going to try the balsamic chicken ASAP.