what made you do it?

Options
I was just wondering...what happened in your life that motivated you to take steps to lose weight/get healthy? Was it a series of things? One big thing? I'm really curious!

For me, I had been sitting around thinking about losing weight for at least 3 years. One day I just decided, day one starts now, and I joined MFP. Losing weight and being in control of my life have continued to motivate me to do better every day.

Replies

• DexterDarko
    Options
    I was depressed about the idea of death to the point I was a living zombie. I did nothing but eat and lay down and be on my computer because I couldn't gather the will to live whenever I thought about death. But before that, I don't know, I was just plain lazy. I made it to around 275 pounds off pure laziness, then to at my peak of 366 after a suicide attempt and the deep depression I mentioned. I was mentally checked out.

Then now at a ripe age of only 16, I noticed my life was coming, and that I wanted to try to live because I might aswell, but I couldn't gather myself to. A bad situation. One night I sat down and decided to watch the biggest loser. My weight plays a giant role in my life because it made me who I am, but I continually denied that if I had a better life I'd still not have the will to live. I don't know what it's like to not be fat.

So yeah, one night I sat down, and watched the biggest loser. The whole first season in 1 night. the sun set and rose, and I was pumped up. I just started working out for the first time in months because I was encouraged, I still had the depressed thoughts in my head, and I still have them today, but instead of holding back on life because of them, I just live. I don't know why I changed, but I'm so happy. I hope this is the time it actually sticks.

I now have the will to live, and I'm hoping I can finally learn how to drive, get a job, and do the things I want to. I always told myself I didn't want to live the whole "american-dream sequence" but now I see that I do, for it's human nature. Perhaps I was just depressed.

Either way, I'm happier then I've ever been. I can't live like this, I'm at the point this is my final chance because I'm not a fat person on the inside and I don't want to be scared to move on and be independent in the years that come, being weighed down by myself on the outside.
  • avivan
    avivan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Your story is really powerful! Thank you for sharing it. I think it is so often this culmination of different feelings and events that spurs us to move forward and change our lives. And then there's a catalyst to throw it all together and turn plans into action.

I know what you mean about not being a fat person on the inside. I feel the same way. I am so glad to see you went from being severely depressed to feeling great. This world needs you here to motivate others to do the same thing you did :).
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I got on the scale, almost 2 years ago, and realized just how heavy I was. I joined Sparkpeople.com, started working out, eating healthier...and was within 3 pounds of my goal weight (125, heavy side of healthy, but still healthy)....then I found out I was pregnant. I had her July, 2011 and never really got back into the swing of things. Then, a few months ago, I decided it was time.....and managed to lose probably 10 pounds, before finding out I was pregnant, again!

This time, I'm hoping to establish some good habits that will continue after child birth. No more kiddos for me, so I've decided it's now my time. I have the resources at my fingertips. The only thing that will be holding me back will be myself. I'm trying to at least walk regularly, if I do no other physical activities.
  • TeddyLoc
    Options
    I found out I had Diabeties a good while back and plus I was almost 500 poundz. Thats what started for me. And also I had way to many 40 oz Beers, Newports, and Hard Liquor drinking for a long time. It was about time for a change for me anywayz. I glad I did! I wish I did it sooner. Ooh well.
  • Monicapierce
    Monicapierce Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    l started at 226 lbs, and Im only 23. I have two kids that I didnt want to teach bad habits to first off. Then I arted to get heartattack symptoms occassionally, left arm felt dead, things like that. But sadly, what tipped my bucket over and got me started and completely motivated was when I saw a picture of my husband and I at a church function. He weighs around 160, and Ive always been bigger then him, but dang I looked like I could eat him in the picture. I was so embarrassed, he looked so handsome and I looked like I was his fat cousin or something.....
  • Dianecg
    Dianecg Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wow! Your courage is inspiration for all of us! Thank you for sharing and congrats on your will to live. You're new attitude is going to take you far in life and I think your story will help others - maybe not all today but I see you as someone who will be a great help to other teens down the road. I'm in awe!