Have I permanently ruined my brain?

Options

Replies

• ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    HOWEVER!! Neuro-pathways that carry information in the brain that were pruned (essentially meaning they died) while we were drinking will be regenerated during extended periods of sobriety.

Not true. The neuropathways cannot regenerate. They will, however, create a new "route" to do the same job. Once they're dead, they're gone. The brain is amazingly powerful though, and will find a new way to work.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong in seeking professional help, you may be better now, but the problem obviously didn't go away spontaneously, what you did was a serious cry for help, hopefully you get the help you need.
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am positive that you will make a full recovery! You are quite young, and your brain isn't even finished with some major growth, so it will repair better than it would if you were much older. Still, neuroplasticity (the brain's ability to adapt, rewire, rebuild, and heal) happens at any age and after almost any stress that you put it through.

I had major brain trouble for a long time, not due to alcohol but due to similar stressors. I had many days where I was sure that I could never recover, but the human brain and body are miracles of the universe and I was proved wrong! I've never been so happy to be wrong :)

Here's what I did that helped me speed up my recovery:

Diet:

The most significant thing that helped me was cutting out all grains. I didn't realize until a few weeks after I'd stopped eating them, that I am psychologically intolerant to grains and that I can think so much more clearly without them. Of course your mileage may vary, everyone is different, but there's no harm in trying "Paleo" or something similar (GAPS diet/SCD, etc) for a week or so, to see how you feel. Low-carb diets can actually be really beneficial for healing the brain, though at least for me it wasn't sustainable for the long term. I eat a lot of potatoes and fruit for carbs, but when I was much lower carb I think that it sped up my healing process.

I found that too much sugar gave me brain fog and increased depressive episodes, so I try to only get it from fruit and the occasional chocolate bar. It's best to have fruit and other sugars with a good source of protein and/or fats.

Juicing in the morning was really good for me for a while, especially juicing large amounts of greens such as spinach.

Another really important thing I did was increase my intake of healthy fats (including healthy SATURATED fat! Saturated fat is excellent for the brain and nervous system.) Fish/fish oil, coconut oil, meat, olive oil, eggs, etc.

Exercise:

I went for a 30 minute brisk walk each day, which lifted my mood and got my brain more motivated and ready to tackle the day. The walk worked best in the morning, right after a little something to eat.

Smoking:

Not sure if you smoke cigarettes or not, but I thought I'd add this because it made such a difference with me. After six years of smoking more than a pack a day, I finally quit smoking at the end of July this year. Not only did my physical energy improve, but my brainpower got so much sharper! Quitting smoking also eased residual anxiety/depression that I had.

Herbs:

These herbs improve brain function. I found that tinctures worked best for me, but some prefer capsules or tea. Anyway they are: ginko biloba, panax ginseng, siberian ginseng, rhodiola rosea (my favorite!), licorice, rosemary, gotu kola (another favorite!), muira puama, mucuna pruiens, evening primrose oil. YMMV.
    And, since you mentioned binge drinking, here's some for improving liver function, which indirectly affects your brain health: dandelion root, milk thistle, schizandra berry.

Vitamins:

I usually get all my vitamins from food, but some vitamins were very helpful for me for a while. They were: b-complex with extra b-12, a quality multivitamin, fish oil, and magnesium.

Nootropics:

I didn't actually get around to using these, but I've heard wonderful things about these supplements, especially piracetam and anaracetam. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nootropic

Good luck and don't worry, you will be fine!
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    As for this comment (refer below), if the doctor says you've screwed your brain up but there's treatment and you're seriously concerned - insurance probably won't matter.
    Will your INS cover it?

it will if we have to pay for it.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd be willing to spend some of my savings on making sure my body (brain included) is as healthy as possible if it ever came to that.
    *knocks wood*
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    As an internet expert, you did ruin your brain, permanently.
    Fret not, most peoples brains are ruined anyways, and your only using 10 percent of it. So you can blow up the other 90 percent and be alright.

for example, you own a car, but only the horn and wipers work. Thing just sits in your driveway all busted up, but you can honk at the neighbors cat, and watch the wiper blades go back and forth.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I am also a young alcoholic (I'm 22 now) and drank heavily up until January. My dad is also an alcoholic who has been to rehab several times, and the last time he went (which worked! he's been sober 9 months!), he was in a medical rehab (associated with a hospital and combining the biological and neurological components with the holistic approach of AA). While he was at the medical rehab, we attended the family program and learned a ton of great information! I think some of it pertains to you and I both!

When an alcoholic quits drinking, s/he often goes through whats known as P.A.W.S.- Post Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome. P.A.W.S symptoms can include "brain fog", forgetfullness, inability to concentrate, and mood swings among other things. P.A.W.S can last up to 3 years after the alcoholic quits drinking, but it does go away. I imagine since you are young, it would go away more quickly. I experienced P.A.W.S for only a few weeks after I quit drinking, but my dad is still experiencing it after 9 months. He drank HEAVILY (20+ drinks/day) for over 40 years. Right now, he literally has to write everything down on sticky notes so he doesn't forget. He sometimes even forgets what he has said to us.

P.A.W.S can be very scary because it mimics the cognitive effects of intoxication. It can also be discouraging because we quit drinking in the hopes that things would get better for us, and then we have to deal with this *kitten*?! Trust me, I understand, I'm a college student...I know its rough. Someone earlier said that brain cells don't come back...And that is true, to an extend. Any brain cells that are dead will not "come back to life". HOWEVER!! Neuro-pathways that carry information in the brain that were pruned (essentially meaning they died) while we were drinking will be regenerated during extended periods of sobriety. So there is hope!

I hope this gives you some encouragement :) Message me if you have any questions or if you need support :)

This is a great response, and probably exactly what BFP was hoping to get by sharing something so personal here. I hope you are right, and it's just PAWS.

BFP: I agree with the people who said you should be honest with your doctor about what happened. You're in a much better place now, thankfully. I believe you can make a full recovery with the right treatment.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Yep, consult your physician.

But look on the bright side, worse case you could always become a politician. :D
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    As for this comment (refer below), if the doctor says you've screwed your brain up but there's treatment and you're seriously concerned - insurance probably won't matter.
    Will your INS cover it?

I don't think you guys will be paying for it, as 99% of this website is from a different country than I live in...
    Comes to my next question : what is INS? Is it health cover/medical insurance?
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hey there. So I might get different people's opinion on this.. But that's ok I'm posting bc I care and I want to help. For sure what everyone said about seeing a doctor is wise. But I also want to add another point to this thread
    We are humans and make mistakes in the past that we regret and want to forget/take back. It's encouraging to see you've made good life choices and things are turning around for you! There is a God who made you and loves you and doesn't want you to be in pain. That's why He came as Jesus to the earth and died as a sacrifice for all our past sin and shame. But He is resurrected and lives! And anyone who calls on his name I saved from sin death game everything and we are 100% reconciled back to God. All that shameful past things are wiped clean because He chose to give his own life up so we wouldn't have to lie through these things. There is a vers in the bible that says "by His stripes we are healed". No only does Go want to wash away our past that we may regret the things we did, but also JHe wants to give us hope, life, joy, but most of all to feel loved. He also heals. I personally have been physically healed by the Lord twice, one of those times I was bitten by a snake (a Venemous cotton head). A Christian Lai hands on me and prayed and the Holy Spirit of God heale my leg/foot. That's just one small story I've been on mission trips where I've seen blind eyes restored and deaf ears opened by the power of God. Why? Because He loves us, and wants us to know that He cares. You may not even read this post. Maybe you will. I encourage you if you feel like this post pulls on something in your heart, please feel free to message me and I would love to pray with you o answer any questions you have. He says in hHis word if we ask anything believing in His name He will give it to us. I certainly believe without a doubt in my being God heals the mind and brain damage that was done by pas mistakes. Thats what He is like, a good Father, and He is so for you. So am I like I said any prayer or just to talk ask questions please feel free to message me.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Will your INS cover it?

Maybe it's just me, but I'd be willing to spend some of my savings on making sure my body (brain included) is as healthy as possible if it ever came to that.
    *knocks wood*

I would if I could afford it, except for the fact that my whole savings account has gone towards my car repayments/rego/insurance at the moment.
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Ps: sorry about the bad spelling I was typing this up on my iPhone and sometimes it gets a mind of its own :p
  • HMToomey
    Options
    Please see a doctor!
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Go Directly to a Doctor. Do not pass go. Do not collect £200. Go straight to a Doctor!
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Ps: sorry about the bad spelling I was typing this up on my iPhone and sometimes it gets a mind of its own :p

Haha, that's okay sweetie :)
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    This sound like a question for a doctor. Not random strangers on the internet. Whatever advice you get, just remember that none of us are qualified to give you advice on this and it may be harmful in the long run.

Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.
    i agree
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    As an internet expert, you did ruin your brain, permanently.
    Fret not, most peoples brains are ruined anyways, and your only using 10 percent of it. So you can blow up the other 90 percent and be alright.

for example, you own a car, but only the horn and wipers work. Thing just sits in your driveway all busted up, but you can honk at the neighbors cat, and watch the wiper blades go back and forth.

:laugh: You're a very funny person!! haha!
  • vbrent07
    Options
    At 18, I drank heavily and did lots of drugs for about a 8 month period. While I was doing that and for about a year after I stopped, I had lots of issues similar to what you are dealing with. It's been 12 years now and I'm happy to say that it does get better as long as you don't continue with what your doing. Sometimes I have my forgetful moments but not as bad as before and now I don't know if it's just my age. With all the chemicals that can be in liquor and drugs I have to believe that a part of that has to be causing some of your issues but I would just talk to a doctor to check everything out.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Go Directly to a Doctor. Do not pass go. Do not collect £200. Go straight to a Doctor!

Not everyone has a spare $70 lying around... :huh:
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Hello!
    I am also a young alcoholic (I'm 22 now) and drank heavily up until January. My dad is also an alcoholic who has been to rehab several times, and the last time he went (which worked! he's been sober 9 months!), he was in a medical rehab (associated with a hospital and combining the biological and neurological components with the holistic approach of AA). While he was at the medical rehab, we attended the family program and learned a ton of great information! I think some of it pertains to you and I both!

When an alcoholic quits drinking, s/he often goes through whats known as P.A.W.S.- Post Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome. P.A.W.S symptoms can include "brain fog", forgetfullness, inability to concentrate, and mood swings among other things. P.A.W.S can last up to 3 years after the alcoholic quits drinking, but it does go away. I imagine since you are young, it would go away more quickly. I experienced P.A.W.S for only a few weeks after I quit drinking, but my dad is still experiencing it after 9 months. He drank HEAVILY (20+ drinks/day) for over 40 years. Right now, he literally has to write everything down on sticky notes so he doesn't forget. He sometimes even forgets what he has said to us.

P.A.W.S can be very scary because it mimics the cognitive effects of intoxication. It can also be discouraging because we quit drinking in the hopes that things would get better for us, and then we have to deal with this *kitten*?! Trust me, I understand, I'm a college student...I know its rough. Someone earlier said that brain cells don't come back...And that is true, to an extend. Any brain cells that are dead will not "come back to life". HOWEVER!! Neuro-pathways that carry information in the brain that were pruned (essentially meaning they died) while we were drinking will be regenerated during extended periods of sobriety. So there is hope!

I hope this gives you some encouragement :) Message me if you have any questions or if you need support :)
    [quote/]

Thankyou.. I hope and pray that it is just this...
  • AnathemaTeatime
    Options
    Definitely ask for a full neuropsych workup. I have a seizure disorder that can cause permanent brain damage, and I was terrified that I was incurably impaired. My neurologist ordered a neuropsych test and it was fantastic. Essentially, what I learned was that, yes, there is some damage but it's minor (mainly to do with sense of direction and 3-D orientation, which thank heavens there's GPS to address when driving!). I was also very candid about the doctor about past alcohol and drug usage, and she was able to assure me that there was no evident organic damage related to substance abuse.

It was such a relief to have my fears taken seriously, evaluated, and explained. And even though I did learn that i had some brain damage, I also learned the extent of it (thankfully minor), and that actually alleviated my stress, because now it's a quantifiable, treatable thing rather than a scary mysterious "big bad."