Workout Routine for Fat Burn/Toning, mainly LOWER body

Options
Hi all!

I've been going to the gym for a while but I have never developed a routine. Today I was there and there was a woman who was so focused, looked like she had such purpose (and she did because she had a great body) so I thought I'd ask on here what people's workout routines are. I mainly stick to cardio, I recently started with some weight training (my previous gym was co-ed and the guys hogged ALL the machines in the weight room, plus the rack and it was super packed ALL the time.) I like to use the Treadmill and Eliptical and Rowing machine and then do stretching, mat exercises and weights. I just hate that time in between exercises where I have to think about what to do next, I work much better on a schedule.

I am bottom heavy, and anyone who is knows how hard it is to lose fat in that area. I'd like some tips on some effective ways to target the lower body.

Can you share your workout routines for a two hour gym session?

Replies

• shutterbug21
    shutterbug21 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dgoradia
    dgoradia Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Do the 3 big compound movements and progress from there.

So basically 3x/week:
    Barbell squats (start with box squats to get your form down) - Use youtube to find out more
    Barbell bench press
    Barbell deadlift

Hit these pretty heavy 3x/week and make sure your diet is in check, you should start seeing progress. I wouldn't do cardio on your workout day especially before the lifts.
  • shutterbug21
    Options
    Thanks!

So is it better to keep cardio on one day and strength training on another?
  • justmetookie
    justmetookie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Check out Hasfit dot com they have a lot of workouts available form beginner to expert. you can find them on YouTube as well.
  • dgoradia
    dgoradia Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

So is it better to keep cardio on one day and strength training on another?

I prefer to do no cardio but if you like to do cardio, yes do it on non lifting days.

I follow the leangains method of eating, you can read more about it on leangains.com.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    just want to say that you can't spot reduce fat.. you lose fat according to your genes, so just because you do squats doesnt meant you will primarily be burning thigh fat . so if you're a pear shape then you'll lose weight like a pear shape, hourglasses will lose like an hourglass, apples like apples

with that said, what's been working for me is a slight reduction on calories and doing compound lifts like deadlifts, squats, bench presses, pull ups and bb rows for as much weight as i can for 5 sets of 5 reps while still keeping good form.

cardio isnt really necessary i'm finding for fat loss but it's good to do for cardiovascular health

also dont be afraid to ask to work in with the boys on the squat racks with the barbells. most of the guys in the weight rooms are nice and are pretty gracious when you ask if you can work in with them.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Does the gym you go to have a circuit area? Circuit training is going to be hands down the most effective way for you to get the kind of results you want.

Previous poster was 100% correct, you cannot lose weight in a specific area. Your body has its own preference for which fat is burned from where and in what order. What you have to do is lower your over all body fat %.
  • shutterbug21
    Options
    Thank you for your posts! Yes I do realize I can't spot reduce but I meant something to target more, because I do way more running than anything else at the gym. I used to play football (soccer) and the running kept my body fit, but it was likely a combination of the running and kicking, plus stopping, it's not just one long run.

So I don't know much about strength training at all, but I will give the machines a try today and post back what I did.

Regardless though, I'd like to know what other MFPers gym routines are?
  • shutterbug21
    Options
    Does the gym you go to have a circuit area? Circuit training is going to be hands down the most effective way for you to get the kind of results you want.

Previous poster was 100% correct, you cannot lose weight in a specific area. Your body has its own preference for which fat is burned from where and in what order. What you have to do is lower your over all body fat %.

No we don't have a circuit area specifically dedicated but I think I plan a circuit and work along it, wow I totally forgot about circuit training and now that you mention it, I see you are right!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    It is best for a beginner to follow a properly written beginner routine when it comes to lifting. Check the link below and then run the routine linked below the first.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If you have any problems or questions with coming up with something feel free to contact me
  • shutterbug21
    Options
    Thanks all!