Inch loss without weight loss?

Options
Has anyone here experienced inch loss without any weight loss? In the past, I've managed to lose inches but my weight has remained the same. Any idea why this happens?

Thanks!

Replies

• Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    It happened to me when I started my journey with P90X and recently my boyfriend had this happen. He lost a total of 6.75" in just two weeks after doing Insanity!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    That is the major reason that it is recommended that you should track you measurements and body fat %. Fat takes up more space than the same weight of muscle so if you are losing fat while building a bit of muscle you will change your shape while your total weigh doesn't change. But your cloths will fit better!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Yep last week my weight has been the same but I've lost 2 inchs off my body :) I'd rather that as I know the number on the scale means less about how I look in the mirror than my measurements and BF :D
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    welcome to my summer and now looks like it'll be going into fall :laugh:

i've been the same weight since 2 pants sizes ago. i know i'm not building muscle because in irder to do that i'd have to be eating over my maintenance calories which i'm not because if i were i wouldnt be losing fat.

my theory is that whatever the weight is for every inch of fat i lose the universe is replacing it with the weight of awesome :laugh:
  • samhigh
    samhigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Losing an inch could be a result of decreased hydration, reduced carb intake, a night of drinking, or a whoosh. In theory you could be adding muscle to offset your fat loss, aka body recomposition, but you would be aware of this.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    If it's long term & significant, it's muscle gain offsetting the fat loss. That's actually what I WANT to do. I really don't want to be a thin guy. I've actually been hovering around the same weight now that I've upped my intake and increased my lifting a great deal. I can also feel the change in my body as my arms, legs, and pretty much everything else is getting really firmed up.

The little calculators says for me to be "healthy" I should be 184.4 lbs or less....I call shenanigans! I remember when I was 185, and I was too "light in the pants" for my liking. I'm hoping to stay around 210-220 but drop the body fat down to a healthy percentage. It just means I'll need bigger moosklez!! I'm certainly OK with that...I'm sure the ladies won't mind....it will mean I'll be able to burn more calories with all the lean muscles...yea, I vote to ignore my BMI.
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hey there. Definitely.I have lost 6 inches and next to nothing in pounds I have dropped a dress size and my muscles are a lot more defined!!!
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    yep, I have been losing inches consistently each month, and get just about 3 lbs/month of weight loss to show for it. and, since last month, i'm hovering around the same weight, but can see definite differences
  • MCproptart
    MCproptart Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    To steal from Garmin, your body is RECALCULATING. :laugh:
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I dropped 9 inches total after P90X, but only about 2lbs :)
  • Snitch1
    Snitch1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have not lost weight since July, but since June have lost over 20 inches. So, am gaining muscle..A nice surprise when you are feeling down about the damn scale not moving!:laugh:
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    No one knows how much you weigh but they'll all see how great you look :)
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is common.
  • coffeerunner
    coffeerunner Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah - sometimes if the scale doesn't move for a few days I measure and usually see a loss