*~DURIAN (Your Favorite kind)~*

Options
Hi everyone,

It was up until today that I had tried durian multiple times (including just 2 weeks ago), each time ending in disgust and disappointment.

I live in Hong Kong now, and the markets are filled with durian. To be honest, I LOVE the smell (I also like the smell of gasoline though...), which always led me to trying and then tossing it in disappointment in the past. Today I decided to try it one more time in hopes of no longer being tempted by it's wonderful smell every time I walk into the fruit section of my local supermarket. I bit into the first chunk, and it was AMAZING -- truly the "God of Fruits" as it's called.

I went online to research durian and why I suddenly liked it, and found out that there are different kinds with unique flavors. I also get the feeling the ones I had tried could have been overripe. I had always thought there was only one kind of durian until reading this online and then checking the label of my durian!

The kind I tried was the "GOLDEN PILLOW" from Thailand and I'm in love. Please share your favorite kinds of durian.

:heart: Thank you! :heart:

Replies

• determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I wish I could comment here in a positive light, but I lived on mainland China for a year and the smell and consistency of Durian never failed to make me retch. It's a shame when it's such a staple treat in that culture :/

(But then I was the same about natto!)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    <---- tried it once. Liked it.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Oh my god, my uncle has a durian tree in his yard in Taiwan and it absolutely stinks. He tried to GIVE THEM AWAY at a market and people wouldn't even take them, lol.
  • healthy4heidi
    healthy4heidi Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Durian shakes are good. A lot of Vietnamese restaurants serve them. Of course they are loaded with calories from condensed milk but they are tasty.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    The smell is hard to overcome for most people, but the flavor is ok.
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Well Golden Pillow is nice. I hardly tried any other kind though and I seldomly buy it. I prefer Durian in its preserve form though, not make my hands messy after eating it.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I'm scared to try durian. When it shows up at a market, I always run away, haha. Can anyone describe it?
  • VeggieloverLilly
    Options
    I'm scared to try durian. When it shows up at a market, I always run away, haha. Can anyone describe it?

Agreed me too! lol
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I bought Durian popsicles one time. So terrible. I had to throw them away, then I had to take out the trash, then I had to move the trash to the back of the yard.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I only had durian once but, to me it tasted like a pear with a custard texture. You just can not breathe through your nose while eating it.
  • GerritTheBlacksmith
    Options
    I love them all.
    i grew up in Sabah, Malaysia and ate a lot of durian. I can sometimes get it here in the US at the Vietnamese shops in town.
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh! i love durian!

eating it fresh is delicious, but there are soooo many other ways to try it :) my favourites:

diuran ice cream
    durian mousse crepes
    durian milkshake
    mooncakes with durian filling (you can only get them at this time of year!!)
    sticky rice made with durian and coconut milk

i think there are as many ways to serve up durian as there are cooks! any well-known hong kong or singaporean dessert restaurant should have some durian choices to tickle your tastebuds :D
  • PapaDunx
    Options
    Durian is rank and disgusting!
    I lived in Malaysia for 7 years and the smell is putrid!

For those not being "lucky" enough to taste it, I would describe it as onion flavoured yoghurt!

20 minutes after you have eaten it, the noxious odours reappear with the flatulence it creates too!!

Altogether a foul fruit.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I tried durian from a roadside stall when we were on holiday in Bali.
    I was expecting a truly terrible smell but I didn't think it was too bad.
    The flavour was pretty good, but the texture was a little too.... slimy? mucousy? I don't know how to describe it, but I'm not a big fan. My husband wouldn't go near it, lucky our driver loved it so he ate most of it!
  • NanoBear
    Options
    I work in a fruit and veg shop, and the first time we got them in I thought we had a gas leak. I can't get past the smell.

I'd love to know what the first person to eat it was thinking. It smells awful, it hurts to touch it if you're not careful, but he/she decided to try and eat it anyway!?
  • nyssa1231
    nyssa1231 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've only had it in its raw form a few times in my life. I do love the popsicles and shakes, especially when they have bits of raw durian in it!
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I've tried it multiple times and have never liked it. It smells like a dumpster behind a seafood restaurant in July, and it tastes like slimy rotten onions. It also looks like a medieval weapon. I've tried many durian "treats." I sent a bag of durian cookies to work with my husband as a joke. His boss calls them "asscrack cookies." Seriously.

Now I understand why hotels and taxi cabs won't allow durian fruit inside.
  • VeganHippieChick
    VeganHippieChick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have tried it before and didn't like it at all. The smell is simply horrid and took forever to get out of the house. :laugh:

That being said, there are many who love it. It seems you love it or hate it, there is no in between.
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    Tastes and smells like rotten onion. I bought Durian ice cream bars once from curiosity. Box smelled a bit funny but I thought it was just from shipping.

I took about three licks to try and distinguish the flavours and then had to toss them all out. Now I actually eat less onion than I used to.
  • MerraH89
    Options
    I love love love durian!!! Not the candy or ice cream etc but the REAL fruit it self or in a smoothie!! :D but I'm .not sure of the health benefits but ur lucky u live in HK because good durian is very pricey here in the US :(