Is it normal to feel this way?

Options
Well hello there. I hope that I'm posting this in the right category cause I've searched to see if anyone had a similar problem. Sorry for the run-on sentence. Ok mid Aug. my husband and I joined the gym. We were not really working at it with the wedding planning and then we went on our honeymoon. I know excuses once we came back home I hit it hard and took getting rid of my weight serious before I start having any weight related health issues. I didn't let myself give up after not sticking with it during the first few weeks. My husband not so much, but that's a whole different story, which I won't bore you with at 3:30 in the morning. So I've been working out no less than 3 times a week at the gym and the days I don't go to the gym I do tai bo and have been logging my food mostly everyday except for that Saturday when I got sick. Grrrr I keep getting off track. (Rolls eyes at self) anyway my thing is this since I've been working out I hate eating now! I know that I have to or my body will go into starvation mode. It's just that I am putting in so much work into my workouts and I walk the dog 3-4 times a day doing a half mile around the block each walk. I'm wondering if anyone feels like this? My only eating disorder is I'm an emotional overeater. I can't believe that I hate to eat now!! Anyway please let me know if this makes sense at all or am I becoming crazed???

Replies

• JennMarieFitz
    JennMarieFitz Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Personally, i don't think you're crazed. I have a lot of days when eating just feels like a chore! Like UGH I have to eat AGAIN?! I just did that a few hours ago! If it wasn't for my one year old, I'd probably push it off and ignore it until the last second, but I make him food at meal times, so it helps me remember that I physically need to eat, too.
    Especially on days where I work out, I feel like it will undo all the work I just did! We just need to keep reminding ourselves when we feel this way that eating is good for you. Without food, our bodies will not work.
  • Lisamar74
    Options
    What you have to try to remember is that eating the right foods is good for building up your muscle and creating that very toned look. You will tone up twice as quick if you're eating the right foods. And the energy you will get from food will make you work harder. Mind you, I'm no expert and I'm a fine one to preach as I still can't get the balance right and feel guilty if I eat over my cals. Wish I had a personal nutrionist to make me eat what's exactly right for my body! Good luck, don't starve yourself.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Usually I have a really health appetite. Sometimes when I'm feeling impatient about reaching my goal, I'll not want to eat. I've actually been really upset over something the last week and ate next to nothing for several days. Weird?

It's also really annoying preparing meals all the time!! Because of my diet I can't just go and buy a pizza or lasagna and pop it in the oven.

I think sometimes 'diet' food can be really boring and monotonous...I like to go really wild once in a while and have a few strips of bacon.

Is there anything turning you off food right now? Are you unhappy with your food choices or maybe just in a hurry to reach your goal?

Exercise can decrease your appetite, but shouldn't make you hate eating.
  • baaybeegurl
    baaybeegurl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why I feel this way. I love food everything from the unhealthy junk that I used to eat to fruit and veggies. And I am nervous that I will fall into not eating. Today I skipped lunch. Not on purpose. I went to work out around lunch time and by the time I got home it was dinner time! And it was no big deal to me that I didn't eat. In fact I was so upset that I had to eat dinner. You're right it feels like I'm undoing my workout. Maybe I'll workout after eating for a week and see how that works for me.
  • EPortJake
    EPortJake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I find cooking food from scratch helps. I take satisfaction when I make a meal that tastes good and can say "I made that and I would pay good money for it in a restaurant!".
  • missmacsays
    missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I feel this way sometimes too. Like I LOOOOVE food, but now that I'm trying so hard to be healthy, I just don't want to eat half the time. Especially after my weekly weigh-in and I haven't lost much at all. But then I realized that if your body's in starvation mode, you're gonna have a harder time losing the weight. I have the times I eat planned out and I usually plan my meals out too. I work third shift, so for me, I have to do it or I'm going to end up overeating at all the wrong times and feeling guilty. Just remind yourself that your body needs fuel to run on and make it fun! Try out new recipes, invite people over for dinner, anything that makes you want to have that meal.
  • baaybeegurl
    Options
    What you have to try to remember is that eating the right foods is good for building up your muscle and creating that very toned look. You will tone up twice as quick if you're eating the right foods. And the energy you will get from food will make you work harder. Mind you, I'm no expert and I'm a fine one to preach as I still can't get the balance right and feel guilty if I eat over my cals. Wish I had a personal nutrionist to make me eat what's exactly right for my body! Good luck, don't starve yourself.

So far I'm trying to eat all the right foods. Lean meats, lots of salads, veggies and fruits. I like the food it's just I don't like the feeling of undoing my workout. I've enlisted my friend to be my nutritionist who's lost 200lbs and has kept it off for a little over a year. He comes in handy when I don't know what to eat when I go out. I'll try not to starve myself I know that it's bad for me and will not help at all.
  • baaybeegurl
    Options
    Usually I have a really health appetite. Sometimes when I'm feeling impatient about reaching my goal, I'll not want to eat. I've actually been really upset over something the last week and ate next to nothing for several days. Weird?

It's also really annoying preparing meals all the time!! Because of my diet I can't just go and buy a pizza or lasagna and pop it in the oven.

I think sometimes 'diet' food can be really boring and monotonous...I like to go really wild once in a while and have a few strips of bacon.

Is there anything turning you off food right now? Are you unhappy with your food choices or maybe just in a hurry to reach your goal?

Exercise can decrease your appetite, but shouldn't make you hate eating.

I think my choices are fine most days. I like what I'm eating I'm just hating eating right now. I do it cause there is no good to come out of me not eating.
  • baaybeegurl
    Options
    I find cooking food from scratch helps. I take satisfaction when I make a meal that tastes good and can say "I made that and I would pay good money for it in a restaurant!".

That would be very disastrous for me. I'm not the cooking type. My husband does the cooking or we'd end up in the hospital or with a burnt down house.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Emotionally, I get how you feel. But my body doesn't let me get away with it. Sometimes I lose the desire to eat! But I get miserably hungry, so I have to do something to make my tummy shut the heck up! If that makes any sense.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I think my choices are fine most days. I like what I'm eating I'm just hating eating right now. I do it cause there is no good to come out of me not eating.

Can you explore your feelings a bit more? Are you feeling guilt / regret about the weight you gained? How do you feel about needing to start a diet?
  • baaybeegurl
    Options

Can you explore your feelings a bit more? Are you feeling guilt / regret about the weight you gained? How do you feel about needing to start a diet?
    No I don't have any feelings of guilt. I never felt it was wrong to gain so much weight. I feel great that I'm finally doing something to get myself to a healthy weight. I don't regret it either. Cause overeating was what I did when I was bored or feeling depressed. I feel fantastic when I get ready to workout and after. It gives me a healthy way to workout my feelings instead of sitting with junk food. It's just when it comes to meals I feel like I'm undoing my hard work. It's like mopping the floor only to walk on it with your dirty shoes. I have to always remind myself that I have to eat or I'm not going to lose anything.
  • baaybeegurl
    Options
    Emotionally, I get how you feel. But my body doesn't let me get away with it. Sometimes I lose the desire to eat! But I get miserably hungry, so I have to do something to make my tummy shut the heck up! If that makes any sense.
    I only eat now cause its better than starving myself. Not cause I'm hungry or cause food looks delish. I hate that feeling of seeing my hard work go down the drain on a plate in front of me. I never though that I'd hate eating. It's just confusing to go from eating in sight to not wanting to eat anything.
  • humidex8
    humidex8 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've been making my own ready meals :p when i feel like cooking I make a batch of something tasty (and count all cals obv :P) and then can just pop em in the microwave on my 'meh' days.

Sorry that was unrelated :')
  • joelhoro
    Options

@milliemogg: great mindset! It's true, there are tons of testimonies of people doing tons of exercise only to get their muscle deplete rather than build up so yeah I think getting proteins or whatever's important to build muscles is vital.
  • EPortJake
    EPortJake Posts: 54 Member
    Options

That would be very disastrous for me. I'm not the cooking type. My husband does the cooking or we'd end up in the hospital or with a burnt down house.

The only way to get better at something is practice.
  • jamface11
    Options
    Just remember you need to fuel your body for that exercise, so that you lose mostly fat and avoid losing lean body mass (muscle). In the long run do you want to be skinny with lots of fat still, or skinny but lean and healthy?
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    With the amount of exercise you are doing you really risk a major burn out if you don't get those calories in you.
  • Dying2Live84
    Dying2Live84 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I only feel like this if I haven't prepared my food for the day the night before.

xx
  • baaybeegurl
    Options
    With the amount of exercise you are doing you really risk a major burn out if you don't get those calories in you.
    I know and I keep that in my head all the time. I don't want to go from overeater to starving myself. I'm trying to go to healthy. Thanks for saying what you did. It helps to hear it and not just think it.