Advice please!!!

Options
So, what is the best way to do it (lose weight) in your opinion? Go slow and make changes a little at a time? Or, get out there and kick butt, pushing yourself? I have over 100 lbs to lose. I have done it both ways.

Wake up call tonight. Talked to my sister that is disowned & I am reminded of all the reasons why I do NOT want to be this way. We are both obese but she has so many health issues--drama queen aside I do know that she has heart problems, high blood pressure, and I forgot what else. She is in the hospital tonight and if (big if) she is not lying--facing surgery for more problems. Plus, when I picture her in my mind, I shudder--i do not want that. I am fat enough--I do not want to go where she is. That's honest guys---it does not make me a nice person but why lie about how I feel and think?

Anyway, advice on pushing it to the limit or taking it easier and doing it gradually??? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Jennvandemark
    Jennvandemark Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I also started needing to lose 100. I really started in March going whole hearted into this. I log everything and kick butt in the gym. I am not taking pills or drinking a crazy juice. I eat what i want with in calories. I went into this wanting to lose nice and easy 2 pounds a week. I have done that and still feel great. I love the fact that i lost 80 pounds with exercise and eating healthy. You can do this i say take it at your own pace, listen to your body it will tell you what you need. Good luck
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I say push yourself while you have the motivation. And you're physically able to exercise. But it's really going to be up to you to do the work, whether it's slow and steady or fast and furious, you're heading in the right direction.

In my experience the heavier I was the quicker the weight came off (at least while I was working at it). And no matter how hard you work at it, it seems to go on way faster than it comes off.

Take a hard look at your diet, weigh and measure (and record) everything you eat. Avoid empty calories. Drink lots of water. Generally the cleaner your diet the quicker the weight will come off.

Get cardio in everyday. There are many schools of thought but for me I aim for at least 60 minutes everyday. And move every chance you get. I have a sports hoop and 8 lb medicine ball in my living room. I hoop while watching tv, I grab the medicine ball and do squats with it or crunches holding it. See how many jump squats you can do during one or two commercials. Throw in a few planks.

Whatever you decide it will be right for you. Good Luck!
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Cleaning up your diet is where it's at!! That is where you need to start, and where you'll see a big difference right away. A lot of water, protien, and just a good clean eating habit in general. Do not under any circumstances starve yourself!! Your body needs healthy, clean fuel to run properly ;) And cardio!! Even walking 30 minutes a day, you'll notice a difference..
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Just take healthy, sustainable steps. Given the amount you have to lose, it will likely fall off fast at the beginning anyway. I wouldn't start doing anything you won't keep up long term.
  • doitforabby
    doitforabby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have done it both ways too. If you're here, it probably means you've been thinking about this path for a while. For me, personally, I had to do it all. When I tried to 'wean' myself off fast food, high fat/calorie food ... it didn't work. I tried the excersize thinking the food would follow eventually. I've tried eating better without excersize thinking that would follow eventually ..... Do it all at once. I can't believe I'm saying this, but its almost 'fun' to figure out what to eat within the reasonable calorie guideline that MFP provides. I am very lucky that my husband is on board & needs to get in shape as well. We are doing it together and its working! Good Luck, you have to decide which route you need to go for yourself, but as long as you're doing something .... That is what's important!
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    For me, it was finding a balance - don't go too hardcore so that you're miserable, but don't go too slow so that you don't see results. I knew that if I completely cut the foods out that I love, it wouldn't have been sustainable long term (I I'd be more likely to crave). However, losing weight week after week motivated me to keep going (if I hadn't seen results, I would have more tempted to give up). I know it sounds cliche, but moderation, on both spectrums, was the key to my success. I lost 80lbs. in a year and I'm now well within my healthy weight range, I'm 5lbs. below my goal weight, and 10lbs. away from my ultimate goal.
  • Emile_Jarreau
    Emile_Jarreau Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Easy does it and give yourself a long runway to expect a permanent life change. Didn't happen on two or three months and it'll take some time done safely.

Emile
  • dolphincrazy5
    dolphincrazy5 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi. Just exercise at your own pace, I do Wii Fit, mind you I haven't done very good the last couple of months but I'm back on track. I estimated my weight when I joined and went in my Wii today to discover I was 13 lbs lighter than I thought. You may add me if you like.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Simply: don't plan to just do it until you're a certain weight/dress size and then go back to old habits. Don't diet, don't undertake odd habits you plan on ditching. The word "diet" has been misappropriated to mean a temporary calorie shift to achieve a desired weight change. Your diet should be for life. Incorporate healthier food choices for LIFE. Move more, find enjoyable ways to exercise.
    You do need motivation even so, but it's not a race. It's a shift in lifestyle for the better. Don't be too hard on yourself, but don't make excuses. Make gradual changes, ease yourself into it. And remember WHY you're doing it.
  • somemansdream
    Options
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I had food poisoning for almost two weeks but the last few days I have been walking my dog or using cleaning for exercise. I just feel like its not enough when I look down and see what my body looks like. I am going to think carefully over this advice and any other that people may give. Thanks, Debbie
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Oh! And strength train. I should have from the start and my skin has suffered as a result. And good luck :)
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I had food poisoning for almost two weeks but the last few days I have been walking my dog or using cleaning for exercise. I just feel like its not enough when I look down and see what my body looks like. I am going to think carefully over this advice and any other that people may give. Thanks, Debbie

In all honesty, I wouldn't count dog walking or cleaning as exercise - those are regular life activities. You need to be doing things that get you sweating and your heart rate up. 30 minutes a day of moderate to vigorous activity will do wonders!
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I get bored trying to make small changes such as getting so many ounces of water today or not eating any chocolate, so I try to do my best everyday, but I know that means some days I will fail miserably lol. I try my best to get in at least 3 days of exercise. I don't set a timed goal for myself...sometimes I do 20 minutes and then sometimes I can make it 60 minutes. With food, I try to do well everyday, but there are days I know I am going to eat out and try to make a good decision regarding that. If I eat something I know I shouldn't, I try to log it or make note at the bottom of my food diary. I feel like I'm not going at it full force but trying to live realistically for myself. I want to see where I'm likely to mess up and take my time "cleaning up" my diet. For example, I realize I'm not losing the way I want to, so I'm thinking of trying something different with how my carbs are distributed througout the day or how many I allow myself to have to see if that works for me. And then later if that works, I may work on something different. I guess you might consider that small changes...considering how you define small :)
  • doitforabby
    doitforabby Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Put things into perspective too - I know that this is not a quick fix and I'm done - this is a lifestyle - forever - I know it is going to take time, and I know I'm going to get frustrated. I know it won't be easy, but I know it will be worth it!
  • bertoliniracing
    Options
    Jump in & do as much as you can. Start working out strength & cardio. Build up your endurance do alittle more each day or increase your weight & resistance as you can. You can do it good luck!