New Job Offer

Options
I have been wresting with a new job offer, and thought I had my mind completely made up.
I have worked for the company I am with now for about 13 years. Started out changing tires for a big trucking company out of Omaha, Ne, and have been promoted up through the ranks to District Manager. I love my gig. Decent money, company pickup, cell phone, expense account, tons of freedom.
Out of the blue a couple months ago, I received a call from a head hunter about a position with another company. At first I said no, but they called a few times, and kept sweetening the pot. It's a pretty sweet offer now.
I don't have to move, company pickup, all of the same extras I have now with my current company. Work out of the house, and travel a couple weeks out of the month. I set my own schedule, kinda like I do now.
And it is a $60k pay raise.
I decided I would take it. I called my VP on Saturday morning to let him know. We talked for about a half hour. Of course, he thinks the best move for me is to stay put. I don't disagree with him, but I don't know if I can turn down the money.
He said he wants to get together with the President, and make me an offer. We are supposed to talk tonight.
For the moment, I am squarely back on the fence. Waiting to see what his offer is, before I make a final decision.
Friends tell me I am in a pretty good spot. Not sure I feel that way.

Replies

• just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    60k raise!?!?! Sounds to me like you're grossly underpaid at your current company. But that doesn't necessarily mean the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. See what your VP comes back with before you make your final decision. If you're happy with your current employer, don't base your decision solely on money. Money can't buy happiness. Also, do some research on average salaries for your position. If a company is offering way above average, I'd be wondering why. Not saying that you're not worth it, just make sure you know what you're getting into if you make the change. Good luck!
  • kranch25
    Options
    The new job offer is a move up the ladder. I would have never given it a second thought if it was a lateral move. I basically go from being a District Manager where I am now, to 3rd in command of the new company.
    Where I am now, the position that I have, the salary is about right.
    The new position with the new company, the salary and incentives are just about right, as well.
    I gave my VP my word that I would table all decisions until I heard from him tonight.
    I owe the man that much.
    Thanks for your thoughts and advice. I really appreciate it.
  • laura_lynn66
    Options
    Sounds like you have a lot to think about! I agree that money doesn't solve everything...stress is a big factor too...I was at my company for 15 years, left to pursue other opportunities and actually ended up coming back to my my original company 5 years later..now, I make pretty good money, but feel very much in my comfort zone and appreciate the people I work with.
    It's wonderful that your current company is trying to sweeten the pot to keep you there..I know it sounds silly, but make a list of pros and cons for each job when you have all the information..helps sometimes to see it all laid out in front of you...best of luck!!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I have been wresting with a new job offer, and thought I had my mind completely made up.
    I have worked for the company I am with now for about 13 years. Started out changing tires for a big trucking company out of Omaha, Ne, and have been promoted up through the ranks to District Manager. I love my gig. Decent money, company pickup, cell phone, expense account, tons of freedom.
    Out of the blue a couple months ago, I received a call from a head hunter about a position with another company. At first I said no, but they called a few times, and kept sweetening the pot. It's a pretty sweet offer now.
    I don't have to move, company pickup, all of the same extras I have now with my current company. Work out of the house, and travel a couple weeks out of the month. I set my own schedule, kinda like I do now.
    And it is a $60k pay raise.
    I decided I would take it. I called my VP on Saturday morning to let him know. We talked for about a half hour. Of course, he thinks the best move for me is to stay put. I don't disagree with him, but I don't know if I can turn down the money.
    He said he wants to get together with the President, and make me an offer. We are supposed to talk tonight.
    For the moment, I am squarely back on the fence. Waiting to see what his offer is, before I make a final decision.
    Friends tell me I am in a pretty good spot. Not sure I feel that way.

Ok, first of all I am one of those people that thinks money isn't everything. You can't be that unhappy as you have been with your current company for 13 years.

The grass is not always greener on the other side. I made this mistake 1 time leaving a job that I was growing with for another company just to make more money and was MISERABLE.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I think you are in a great spot.. you have two companies fighting for you! Either way, you know you are going to walk away with more money and that's always a good thing. Hear out your current company and see what they come at you with. Even if it's not quite the same pay increase as the new place, factor in all that you like about where you are now. Who knows, you may take the other gig and like it even more, or a couple months down the road, your current employer may call up with an even better offer. Just savor the fact that your hardwork isn't going un-noticed!
  • kranch25
    Options
    I appreciate the advice and kind words.
    I have decided to stay where I am at with my current company.
    They have been pretty good to me over the last 13 years.