Running NSV!!

Options
For those that don't know, I am currently training for a half marathon in May of 2013 (about 7 months away, but wanted to give myself plenty of time to prepare). A normal run for me is 3 miles in about 35 minutes and have been steadily increasing my distance.

Today, I did 4 MILES in 45 MINUTES! That's a bit faster than my normal pace, but whats even better!? I did it continuously with NO walking breaks/stops! Unbelieveably proud of myself and really makes me believe that I can conquer that 13.1 miles in May.4 miles might seem like a peice of cake to many of you experienced runners, but I only started distance running about 3 weeks ago!

Just wanted to share that with MFP and any new runners out there who are feeling discouraged. Don't let anyone tell you that you "can't" - don't even let that word exsist in your vocabulary. Keep fighting, keep working, & don't give up.

Replies

• fablevins
    fablevins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Good job!:smile:
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    Hooray for you! I am impressed by anyone who runs! Keep up the amazing work you're doing! and I'm sure you'll have amazing success at your marathon :)
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I am new to running as well. I keep getting a faster and faster pace time - I'd love to do a half marathon. I have an 8K scheduled in the spring and after that I will reasses and register for other races.
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!!

you should be so proud of yourself, you're making fantastic progress!
  • mcapone67
    mcapone67 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Great Job! Be proud and blow your own horn. I am currently doing the "Couch to 5K" program and plan to run my 1st ever 5K in January-I never thought I would do it but it was on my bucket list, so I am going for it. Please keep us posted on your progress and again - YEAH!!!!!!
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    That is great! I am so happy for you. Keep up the good work!
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Good work :)

If you are any thing like me you'll probably find it does get easier now, for the first 30 or so minutes that I run every step is torture but then I get to a certain point where I feel like I could run forever :)
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I too am a slow runner (10.5 min mile) and have begun training for the Half Marathon in Disney in January. I'm going to do the run/walk/run Jeff Galloway method. Check him out - you might be interested. The theory is if you take scheduled walk breaks you can finish with a better time and not be as exhausted and finish strong. Good luck. There is a half marathon group on here - come over and join if you haven't already. Good luck and congratulations on your already reached milestone!!!!
  • Ajasper83
    Ajasper83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Great job! After I complete my 5k in November I hope I can ready myself to run further and maybe do a half at some point as well. Keep up the great work.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Well done!!
  • mserrano30
    mserrano30 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    SO GOOD TO FIND YOU ALL HERE...I JUST STARTED RUNNING AS WELL..NEW TO THIS AND LOVING IT...MY ONLY ISSUE IS THAT IM GAINING WEIGHT...MY BODY IS LOOKING BETTER...AND HARDER...BUT IM UP 6 TO 8LBS SINCE ABOUT 4 WEEKS...AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG...ANY SUGGESTIONS???? THANK YOU ALL AND GOOD LUCK
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Nice! I'm running 3x a week now on my 'off' days, and my 3 mile time is steadily improving!
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Good job! I love a good 4-6 mile run that is my happy distance. I would strongly advise you to do lots of research on running and just make sure that you take measure to not hurt yourself. (I did because I started training all wrong. to long of distance to fast at first)

I would have to say that one of my favorite perks to running is all the chocolate milk I get to drink! :drinker:
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I too am a slow runner (10.5 min mile) and have begun training for the Half Marathon in Disney in January. I'm going to do the run/walk/run Jeff Galloway method. Check him out - you might be interested. The theory is if you take scheduled walk breaks you can finish with a better time and not be as exhausted and finish strong. Good luck. There is a half marathon group on here - come over and join if you haven't already. Good luck and congratulations on your already reached milestone!!!!

This is VERY true. I do the run/walk/run and it has made a huge difference. I have run two 1/2 marathons... one where I ran the whole way and one where I did the run/walk/run and had a faster time doing the run/walk/run Galloway method. Crazy, but true
  • _workforit
    Options

This is VERY true. I do the run/walk/run and it has made a huge difference. I have run two 1/2 marathons... one where I ran the whole way and one where I did the run/walk/run and had a faster time doing the run/walk/run Galloway method. Crazy, but true

For me, once I stop running, if I start walking/running I'll end up walking more than I run. So I just keep truckin along at a steady, consistent clip
  • kiely13
    kiely13 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!! Congratulations!
  • macmercsam
    Options
    SO GOOD TO FIND YOU ALL HERE...I JUST STARTED RUNNING AS WELL..NEW TO THIS AND LOVING IT...MY ONLY ISSUE IS THAT IM GAINING WEIGHT...MY BODY IS LOOKING BETTER...AND HARDER...BUT IM UP 6 TO 8LBS SINCE ABOUT 4 WEEKS...AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG...ANY SUGGESTIONS???? THANK YOU ALL AND GOOD LUCK

OMG the same thing is happening to me! A couple of people told me that it's my muscle weight that's gone up and stop looking at the scale ... sigh... wish I can believe them (scale obsessed). Please help me too!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!