how do you guys stay motivated?

Options
I've recently lost all motivation in going to gym eating healthier and what not.
besides wanting to be thinner or toned or muscular or healthy, what keeps you guys motivated to continue your diet?
i've tried a lot of ways and none of it helping me stay motivated!
help? ideas?

Replies

• pinkkeith
    Options
    I have been there more times then I care to mention.

When I get burned out I try to just make some changes to make it fresh and new again. Instead of getting on the elliptical machine, maybe I will hit the treadmill. Other times it is just feel very tired and don't want to go out. Fine, I'll just stand in the middle of the room and do some jumping jacks. That actually not only wakes me up, but motivates me to hit the gym.

Some goes with your eating habits. Eating the same thing day in and day out can get boring. Try eating something different, but just watch your calorie intake.

In short, you just have to identify what is stopping you from becoming motivated and then try to find ways to change up your routine so that you are motivated again.
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Honestly, and won't sound too positive but for me a big factor is self hatred of the person I was, but I am trying to sort out mental issues as well as getting physically healthy so that's an added factor.

The eating and training gives me something to focus on which helps with the other stuff which is going on. I know that if I let the health kick slide, then the mental health wont be so far behind. Been to pretty dark place this year and will not go back there again.

But on a more positive note, just to be more healthy, look better and be able to do more drives me on, and as they say healthy body, healthy mind.
  • mdb543
    mdb543 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Messaged you :0)
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I agree with pinkkeith. I find if I'm losing motivation, I need to shake things up.
    Exercise:
    Buy a new pair of gym shoes or workout clothes.
    Get some new music for your iPod for listening to ONLY during workouts.
    Work out in a different way, or a different location.
    Check out workout DVDs from the library.

Food:
    Go to the library and check out some different cookbooks.
    Peek into someone else's MFP diet log (just not mine!) for inspiration.

General:
    Read some of the Success! stories on MFP. Good luck!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I'm going through this right now. I almost blew off another workout. But, I just absolutely forced myself. And, now that I'm done, I'm glad I did it. One thing I try to remember is I can't think of a single time where I regretted working out. But, I always regret not doing it when it was planned.

On eating, that's a little tougher. I'm blowing that too at the moment. I'm trying not to be hard on myself and just go with it a little and see what happens. Yesterday I told a bunch of people at work. They all know I'm a healthy person, and we're surprised that I was eating so bad. But, I told them it was stress eating and I should have it under control soon. We had a good laugh, they all admitted they do the same sometimes, and that made me feel better.

I take it day by day.
  • pinkkeith
    Options
    When I was a huge gym rat back in my early to mid twenties I use to keep my toiletries at my locker at the gym. I was going to the gym so much that I wasn't taking a shower at home so I just left them there.

I read in a magazine about using this as a motivation to work out! If you want to take a shower you'll have to head to the gym. :)
  • shoek2
    shoek2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It is a daily process. I found that when I stayed in touch with God and let the Holy Spirit guide my food I accomplished great weight loss and the cravings were gone. When I get off track with God I go back on track to the old habits of "comfort" binging and eating. I am acknowling here today on the site I have been off track the past month or so. Today with the Grace of God I am back on His path for my life. Hang in with God and you will not fail.. God Bless You
  • CrueChix
    Options
    This is going to sound weird, but look at yourself in a full length mirror everyday naked. For some reason, this keeps me from falling completely off the wagon. Plus, I give my boyfriend full permisison to call me out if I'm not working out or eating too much. Truth sometimes hurts, but sometimes you need to hear it. Have someone that you are accountable to.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Discipline. Sheer discipline. I don't always feel like getting out there, or eating right.. but what's the alternative? going back to the way it was? NEVER. I don't allow excuses. I draw the line in the sand and meet it every day. It's just that simple.. Not easy, but simple.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    What works for me.....realizing that nobody can do it but me. Realizing that this is reality, I have to do it if I want results. Remembering that I don't want to start over again any more, I don't want to erase the progress I have made. It is easy to quit but that just makes it harder later.
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    thanks everyone...i go to school and im on my feet for 7.5 hours a day working on clients [cosmetology student] so how bout for those of you who work or are on your feet all day and just are tired what do you guys do then?
  • pinkkeith
    Options
    thanks everyone...i go to school and im on my feet for 7.5 hours a day working on clients [cosmetology student] so how bout for those of you who work or are on your feet all day and just are tired what do you guys do then?

Try doing your work-outs first thing in the morning before you work. I use to do that when I went to school and was working part time.
  • aynhagenbarth
    aynhagenbarth Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Through the years I've been motivated by looking better, and getting new clothes, etc...as I get older I am finding my hugest motivation is agin gracefully and being healthy! So many people around me are sick, and hurting and I want my quality of life to be really good as I reach my 40's and higher! I'm only 33 right now but I want to have evergy, and health. I feel this motivation has been priceless. I look forward to exercising every day (I haven't missed a workout since february) If I have a little treat, it's little, and I don't just completely fall off the bandwagon. I have made real life changes for the first time in my life.

One thing I have done in the past to motivate me is to make short term goal rewards. like every 10 pounds I can have a pedicure, or go to a movie, but while I'm losing those 10 pounds I am super strict about not going shopping or anything so that the reward really feels special. right now I am on my last 10 pounds that I have to lose so my rewards are coming after 5 pounds. obviously the biggest reward will be to be healthy and fit and active with my kids!
  • aynhagenbarth
    aynhagenbarth Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I work full time, I am a grad student, and a mom. I wake up at 5 am so that I can get on the treadmill before going to work.
  • eviegreen
    eviegreen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Fear. I'm terrified of going back to the way I looked last year. I had lost some of the weight before, and gained it back SO quickly. So I know how my body will respond if I don't continue to be diligent. All I have to do is look at pictures of my body last year, when I first decided to start my journey, and that's enough motivation.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Try to make the extra effort to work out in the morning. It does give you energy for the rest of the day.
  • ritoosh
    Options
    thanks guys i may have to wake up at 430 to do morning workouts! lol
  • Joanitude
    Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When I was a huge gym rat back in my early to mid twenties I use to keep my toiletries at my locker at the gym. I was going to the gym so much that I wasn't taking a shower at home so I just left them there.

I read in a magazine about using this as a motivation to work out! If you want to take a shower you'll have to head to the gym. :)
    That sounds like it would work well :)
  • ritoosh
    Options

That sounds like it would work well :)

haha it would. but i dont shower at the gym. i hate showering there i just go home and shower! lol