Running

Does anyone run in the evenings??
I would like to know do you have your dinner first or wait until you have done your run?
If you do how long do you wait before you run,
and if you dont do you find eating later after a run is slowing down weight loss??
Thanks
Fiona

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I do sometimes. I don't like to eat before a workout, but really it's all about personal preference. Try it both ways and see how you feel/how your body responds.

As for the slowing of weight loss... weight loss is by it's nature a slow process. Patience is often the hardest part. As long as you are maintaining a healthy deficit with decent macros, it'll happen.
  • fefe0201
    fefe0201 Posts: 49 Member
    I have ran a couple of times after eating waiting for about a hour and I get stiches, but is an hour long enough to eait, should I just run through the pain??
    Yeah weightloss is very slow with me haha but I meant, you know how people say dont eat past 630 etc with it being close to bed time!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    I run in the evening, and always eat dinner afterward. Running on a full stomach just sucks. I do sometimes have a light snack 1-2 hours before, but eating before working out makes me queasy

Meal timing has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss. I lost 40lbs about four years ago, and often my dinner would be around 9:30pm.
  • treechic93
    treechic93 Posts: 11 Member
    I never run within 2 hours of eating. If I must eat dinner before my evening run it has to be very very light and small servings. Don't believe what you read about exercising before bedtime. It's all how your body reacts. Try a few things and see how it works. I can finish running 60 minutes before bedtime and sleep just fine.

I find running before dinner curbs my appettite and I'm less likely to overeat. But for me, exercising reduces my hunger for 3-4 hours normally. Good luck and try a few options to find what is best for you so that you keep running. :)
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    run before I eat.. one, not sluggish and full feeling, and two I'm thinking my metobolic rate is higher after the run so my food will "burn off" quicker
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    I run in the evenings and it unfortunately has to be after dinner if I want to sit down with the family to eat.

I prefer to run on an relatively empty stomach, a small snack about an hour before the run is the best for me.
  • Heavyd2g
    Heavyd2g Posts: 61 Member
    I find that running after a meal is more difficult, naturally your body has one more thing to concentrate on doing, digesting, and the motion of a run doesn't make it easy. I wait maybe half an hour before running.

By far the best way is to run first and then eat when you get back in.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    I run at night, always after my dinner. I don't run until about 8 or 9, and I usually eat my dinner at 5 or 5:30, so I have plenty of time to digest. If I don't wait long enough, sometimes I throw up or just have a really hard time getting through my run.

That's just how it works for my schedule; I think you would be fine running before dinner. Just make sure you have eaten enough throughout the day to fuel your workout.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    I usually run in the evening because I just don't have time most mornings unless I get up in the dark...and I tend to like my bed too much. If I can eat early enough, I will sometimes eat a couple of hours prior to running, but usually I wait until after I run.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    people say dont eat past 630 etc with it being close to bed time!!
    That's a crock... eat whenever you want. As long as you are getting your cals it doesn't matter when you eat (from a weight loss standpoint - you may have personal preferences that dictate eating at certain times, but weight loss won't matter).
  • Running on a full stomach will mess with your bodies natural digestion processes, not to mention that it just feels like crap. If you have a family that you like to have dinner with, that should be your first priority, that time is priceless.

I almost will always run before meals, like before breakfast, before lunch, etc, or if I have a dinner planned with my family, I will wait to run for a couple hours and just keep in mind to go a little easier knowing that I plan to run later. You can always have small snack after your workout.

Getting stiches while running is different for everyone, but I have found that if I ever do get them, taking real deep breaths from the diaphram relieves them. When I started running 4 years ago I got them more, but now that my body is used to the activity, it rarely ever happens.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    When I run I usually do it after work before dinner. I run better on a very empty stomach and like to eat late anyway. Eating after never affected my weight loss.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    I have a small snack about 2 hours before I go out. I'm not usually very hungry straight away afterwards, but eat my dinner within an hour or so of getting home. It works for us as DH is usually training at the same time, so we still get to eat together.

I did run after dinner once, but even 2 hours wasn't long enough to stop me from having a really painful tummy. Never again.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    you know how people say dont eat past 630 etc with it being close to bed time!!

People say a lot of stupid things.
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    I run after dinner. I try not to have a big dinner because it makes me feel sick during my run. I cant run with an empty stomach either. I'ld have no energy. I have my snacks after my run.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    you know how people say dont eat past 630 etc with it being close to bed time!!

People say a lot of stupid things.

weeeeell, it would probably be okay if you went to bed at 7.00 :bigsmile:
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    i dont run anymore but i used to. i used to eat (not a big meal) and leave it an hour or so then go out running, anything less than that i found to be really uncomfortable for me when running
  • LooptLou25
    LooptLou25 Posts: 193 Member
    If I go straight from work to run at 6.30pm, then I eat after - around 8-8.30pm & make sure I don't go to bed for at least a couple of hours to ensure my body has had time to digest before sleep. If I'm going to be doing running on treadmill at the gym, I eat around 6-6.30 & head to the gym for around 8pm - gives the meal plenty of time to settle, but usually not make it a heavy meal either. I have issues with my digestion system so have to be careful. As long as I don't eat any later than 8.30pm, I'm usually ok.
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    My ideal time to run is between 4-6pm and I NEVER run after a meal. I try not to eat anything an hour before I plan on running because it is not a comfortable feeling and it also makes me feel so sluggish and heavy!
  • If I run in the evening I eat after my run. I cannot tolerate food before running or any workout. If I'm hungry or feeling low on energy I'll have a Clif Shot Gel or a banana.