I feel really alone

Options
:sad: Hey have been at this for over a couple of weeks and have come the realization that I am quite lonely dieting and trying lead a healthier life. I hardly have any support from home. Especially last night when my family ate big juicy bacon cheeseburgers and fries and I stuck to my spinach salad with grilled chicken. I just need support or something I have no clue!

Replies

• leelu
    leelu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    stick to your guns (well your spinach salad) when you hit your goals they will all be asking you for advice!!!
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Keep your head up girl. I know it might suck right now being the only one eating healthy (I have been there too). I know when those pounds start rolling off becauseof the healthy choices you are making, maybe your family will start following your lead. As for support, your "myfintnesspal" family will be right here when you need us!
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    maybe you can try to change up the burgers and have one? try using 1/2 96% lean ground beef and 1/2 ground turkey or chicken, grill it outside, use lots of veggies as toppings, and eat the burger like everyone else... so you dont feel left out..

making swaps to make food more healthy but still tasty so that you can enjoy it like everyone else helps... because if you are serious about making this a lifestyle change you cant always forgo stuff... you will fall off the wagon.. the key is making things as healthy as possible while not feeling deprived, and moderation. A healthier burger once in awhile will make you feel satisfied, have less cravings, and therefore less desire to stop, and also help you feel like you fit in so to speak...

good luck to you.
    Dana
  • ceg0906
    ceg0906 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey
    I am still having hamburgers, just much leaner brands, I am on an awesome guide to losing weight - its a 5,4,3,2,1 plan.
    you eat 300 calories for breakfast, 400 for lunch, 500 for dinner, you then have 2 snacks, 100 and a 200 calories snack to fit in during the day as well. I had a lean hamburger and mccain super fries the other night and it was under the calories for dinner. You can do it -
  • leelu
    leelu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Dont forget that people that arent dieting dont realise how hard it is - it may not be that they are not wanting you to succeed they just dont know any better ... encourage them to encourage you. and when they do do something that helps or motivates then tell them how much you appreaciate it :)
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    We are all here rooting for you!!!!!!! Keep your head high and sights set on your goals!!! You can do it!!!:flowerforyou:
  • wbeden
    Options
    I know how you feel, darlin. I'm just starting on trying to lose about 50 pounds and feel like I'm never going to get there. But eventually, if there is consistent effort, it will happen, right? Plus, you should be proud of yourself for not indulging in that fattening food and eating healthy...you are doing something good for you. I agree with the other post...sometime soon, they will be asking you for advice on their health. Hang in there, don't give up and you will see the results you want. Do it for you and don't let anyone get in your way!
  • Rdahl2
    Rdahl2 Posts: 90
    Options
    I know sometimes it can feel like your alone especially when there are people around you eating tempting food. You're doing a great job by sticking to the healthy eating. I also agree with everyone else, it's okay to have a burger..just choose a healthier version. I usually do 98% lean ground turkey or a bean burger and top it with a lot of veggies..now if I do have to have "bacon" I do turkey bacon.
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Food is just food....you weren't ALONE, you were eating with your family! Easier said than done I know, but sometimes you just have to train your brain to look at things differently. Think about all the people eating *whatever* really alone, like all by themselves. They have no family to talk to, laugh with and make them just smile.

Keep your head up girl! You're doing a great thing for YOURSELF! Try looking at your family, look into their eyes and not down at their plates :)

And when you need someone who can relate, you've got your family here at MFP. Best of luck to you on your journey!
  • cdknmjk
    cdknmjk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Court,

I feel the EXACT same way! My family doesn't give me the support I need either + I don't have a lot of close friends. I'm a struggling emotional eater, so when I feel this way, I start craving what I should be avoiding. I had support for the first few weeks and lost 10 pounds. Then the support stopped. After it stopped, I started gaining weight. I'm NOT blaming my family because I control what I do, but the support certainly helped keep me motivated and positive. If you want, maybe we can be each others support.

By the way, is your name Courtney? That's mine too!
  • cdknmjk
    cdknmjk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    LongMom,

I just wanted to say that I liked your response to Court's posting! Your words made me feel better!
  • cwelsh
    cwelsh Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    All i can say is hang in there. One of the best parts about MFP is that we're a big family here, and even if some people in your life aren't supportive of your lifestyle change then you know you can always rely on us to give you all the support (and positive criticism) you need to help you reach your goals.

As other users suggested, just because you are dieting doesn't mean you can't have the yummy stuff everyone else has, you just have to think outside the box for ways to make it healther and eat in moderation.
  • cullensbrunette
    Options
    Hey
    I am still having hamburgers, just much leaner brands, I am on an awesome guide to losing weight - its a 5,4,3,2,1 plan.
    you eat 300 calories for breakfast, 400 for lunch, 500 for dinner, you then have 2 snacks, 100 and a 200 calories snack to fit in during the day as well. I had a lean hamburger and mccain super fries the other night and it was under the calories for dinner. You can do it -

What is this plan? It sounds interesting. =)
  • thriving2slim
    Options
    You have taken a right decision at a very young age... good job... keep going. All the best.:flowerforyou:
  • DPBrown0818
    Options
    It's especially hard being on your own, I am actually in a similar situation with my family... although I don't live with them. If you find healthier alternatives and make more realistic life style changes you will be able to stay strong through this. I think you should invite them all to be on this site... I asked all of my family members and some friends that I know need and want to make a change! Everyone is different and in turn will approach their goals in varying ways, but you should not feel alone and hopefully this site will help! The biggest reality check for me was realizing how many calories I waste with drinking hahahah :) maybe I should be in a different support group hahah!

re: 54321 plan... that could need to be scaled up/down a bit depending on the persons BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) for avg size woman it is 1400-1500? I guess this could work at 1500 as long as you burn 3-400 at the gym other wise you are just treading water..
  • court1986leigh
    Options
    Thanks everyone very much! I was very fustrated and needed to rant a little bit! I actually found support in my one year old who would rather eat the spinach salad then the other food that was out! My goal is to be like my little one!
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I am kinda in the same boat as you. My husband is extremly thin and doesn't want to eat healthier with me. My son will normally eat healthy stuff with me but he still wants some of the stuff that daddy has. My husband is always trying to tell me that only eating 1200 calories a day and working out isn't going to help me and that I need to do this or that in order to lose weight and tone up. It is very frustrating because he is not supporting me. I just keep reminding myself that in the end he will see who is right and who is wrong. :smile: Keep up the good work. You can do it. We are all here to support each other.
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone very much! I was very fustrated and needed to rant a little bit! I actually found support in my one year old who would rather eat the spinach salad then the other food that was out! My goal is to be like my little one!

No worries Court, glad you found some support. It is funny how sometimes we can find support from our kiddos...keep up the good work. If you ever need any support or need to rant again...WE are here for you.