Plateauing :(

Options
I'm at a loss as to what to do. I've lost 50 lbs over the past year and a half and then in the past 6 months, nothing of real significance. I teach Zumba classes about 10 hours a week, eat really well and rarely indulge. Someone suggested that I'm perhaps eating too little calories? (My average is about 1350-1400 cals) I've started free weights this week. Low reps at high weights, and I'm adding a weight class as well (first one tonight) I burn about 850 calories per zumba class. I feel strong and fit, my endurance is great, and I have a lot of energy, but I just want to burn 20 more pounds...help!

Replies

• mellyo21
    mellyo21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have read that you should alternate your daily intake of calories to keep your weight loss going. I usually try to stay at 1200 calories but every once in a while I bump it up. Those numbers are after exercise of course so if you aren't getting your 1200 calories in, you could be eating too few. What a great number though 50lbs!!! Congrats!
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    I suggest eating a few more calores, I assume you teach Zumba the same times each week? Your body is probably used to this. Is there anyway to squueze in like an after dinner walk for 15 to 20 minutes to wake your system back up? Maybe early morning if your an early bird. Keep your body guessing. :flowerforyou:
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on the 50 lb weight loss! Very inspiring.

Do you happen to have personal trainers or nutritionists at the gym where you teach? I know I've heard about eating more when you're more active. Maybe they can look over your food diary and give you some pointers. Also, have you set your daily activity level correctly? MFP will take that into consideration when it tells you how many cals to consume.

Good luck!!!
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I was reading Jillian's book called "Winning by Losing" that a plateau can only happen when you eat the same calories every day, because your body gets used to the same calories. Try changing your caloric amount to confuse your body, and it looks like you are doing great with your workouts. Basically your weekly caloric amounts should add up to your goal, but during day 1 you can do 1200, day 2 1300, day 3 1200, etc.